Would you be mad if your 16 year old got a passport behind your back?

owl0210
Countess
Countess

Unread post

Troll fail.

Unread post

Guest wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:55 am How do I get a passport for a minor?

Each minor must submit a completed, unsigned application form, evidence of citizenship, evidence of identity, and passport photos. The difference is that the minor's parents must appear with the child or provide a consent form and submit evidence of relationship to the child.

https://www.us-passport-service-guide.c ... inors.html
Do minors require the consent of parent(s) or legal guardian(s)?
Yes. The Department of State's Bureau of Consular Affairs requires that all consent statements by a non-applying parent included with U.S. passport applications for minors under age 16 be notarized. The consent statement must include the child's name and date of birth, as well as the parent's identification information or a copy of his/her ID. This new requirement is being implemented to enhance the accurate identification of applicants and aid in the prevention of international child abduction and substitution.

Unread post

It is easier to do with parental awareness but you can do it without. I had to call them when it happened because I didnt think it was legal either.
Sassy762 wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:00 pm Thats weird.....why have the "parental awareness"part if they don't enforce it? I would be irritated that my child felt they had to do this on their own instead of telling/asking me in the first place.
Guest wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:54 am
Sassy762 wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:40 am This link says that at least One parent must be aware that the teen is getting a passport https://travel.state.gov/content/travel ... 16-17.html
It is recommended not required. Look at the actual form. You can sign for yourself if you are 16 and older.
Canadiana
Countess
Countess

Unread post

All that's needed is a signed letter. She could have written and signed the letter and it wouldn't be an issue.

Unread post

Guest wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:01 pm

Each minor must submit a completed, unsigned application form, evidence of citizenship, evidence of identity, and passport photos. The difference is that the minor's parents must appear with the child or provide a consent form and submit evidence of relationship to the child.

Yes. The Department of State's Bureau of Consular Affairs requires that all consent statements by a non-applying parent included with U.S. passport applications for minors under age 16 be notarized. The consent statement must include the child's name and date of birth, as well as the parent's identification information or a copy of his/her ID. This new requirement is being implemented to enhance the accurate identification of applicants and aid in the prevention of international child abduction and substitution.
And?
Spookly
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

I don't really know. I'd be put off by it and ask her about why she had it beforehand and how long she's had it. But I don't think I'd be mad at her for it unless it was previously used without my permission.

Unread post

guest wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:09 pm
Guest wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:01 pm

And?
It is only required for those under 16. Look at the actual form
msgme
Donated
Donated
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

I wouldn't be bothered by her getting it and not telling me before hand unless i told her no ahead of time. I wouldn't look at it as behind my back. I would also let her hold onto it but I gave my kids their paperwork when they asked for it.
It's time we stop
Hey, what's that sound?
Everybody look, what's going down?

Unread post

msgme wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:21 pm I wouldn't be bothered by her getting it and not telling me before hand unless i told her no ahead of time. I wouldn't look at it as behind my back. I would also let her hold onto it but I gave my kids their paperwork when they asked for it.
She has access to the safe. I just thought it was odd she wanted to keep it on her.
Gorilla_Mama
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I’d be very concerned about why she didn’t at least tell me. Just having one wouldn’t bother me.
Locked Previous topicNext topic