I caved and bought my daughter a new phone

Oliviasmom72
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

I am the same way my 11 yr old never goes anywhere alone he is always with his older sister or family so he doesn't even have a smart phone, just a crappy flip Tracphone. Most of his friends have phones but apart from being home alone an hour or 2 when I go to the gym he doesn't need a phone

carterscutie85 wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:01 pm
stilltfez wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:48 pm My almost 11 year old granddaughter has a phone. It is heavily controlled by her mom and dad but it was decided to let her have one so she can be reached and she can reach out in case of emergency. She rarely uses it, and although I'm one of the few who can text her, she goes weeks without turning it on. She does use it to design outfits and make little movies. When she was on a trip with her other grandparents last week she sent us pictures of the things she saw.

In case of emergency.

I guess I don't understand this. My son is 10 and isn't allowed to go anywhere while I'm gone, unless his friends parents say he can stay there. I know where he is at all times. I would just go get him in an emergency or call his friends phones or their parents phones. And we have a house phone. It's what everyone did before cell phones. Not sure why it can't apply today. Maybe I'm just overprotective but at this age he isn't allowed to go to the park, etc even with friends without an adult.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Your adult husband has an iPhone 4? My 8 year old has a nicer phone. Haha.
Traci_Momof2 wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:57 pm Cool.

I still can't imagine spending hundreds on a phone like that for anyone in the household. I have a new LG Phoenix 4 that I spent $80 on. DH has a used iPhone 4 that we spent I think $60 on a few years ago. DS14 have my old iPhone 3GS that just does talk and text. I bought that used several years ago for $40. He doesn't even use it, only takes it with him when I tell him to "just in case". DS12 has no phone at all.

DH and I have AT&T prepaid plans that have unlimited text and data. We each spend $45/mo for that plan.

I don't see the point in spending more.
Deleted User 1039

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:46 pm Your adult husband has an iPhone 4? My 8 year old has a nicer phone. Haha.

I still can't imagine spending hundreds on a phone like that for anyone in the household. I have a new LG Phoenix 4 that I spent $80 on. DH has a used iPhone 4 that we spent I think $60 on a few years ago. DS14 have my old iPhone 3GS that just does talk and text. I bought that used several years ago for $40. He doesn't even use it, only takes it with him when I tell him to "just in case". DS12 has no phone at all.

DH and I have AT&T prepaid plans that have unlimited text and data. We each spend $45/mo for that plan.

...congrats on being a better consumer? Spending money on something that depreciates and only lasts a few years?

What a stupid thing to brag about. She doesn’t see the point in spending $800 on phones. You spending that money doesn’t make you special, just means you have different priorities.
KaiandKadensMama
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

My 12 year old got an IPhone SE last year. She comes home alone after school, and can open the garage with her phone. We only pay $10 a month for her phone on our plan.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

My sons bought theirs. That was the deal. They do chores for phone service and buy their phones.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

SolidlyAverage wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:50 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:46 pm Your adult husband has an iPhone 4? My 8 year old has a nicer phone. Haha.

...congrats on being a better consumer? Spending money on something that depreciates and only lasts a few years?

What a stupid thing to brag about. She doesn’t see the point in spending $800 on phones. You spending that money doesn’t make you special, just means you have different priorities.
I agree. I have a cheap Samsung. I paid 150 used. My son has an iPhone he paid several hundred dollars for. It's his money and his business but such a phone is wasted on me. I told him I'd rather have a new kayak. It's all what we deem valuable.
LuckyEightWow
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

If I had to be that strict with a phone, my kid would not have one.

My 12 year old has an iPhone 6+, the sound does suck but headphones take care of that.

My 15 year old has the 7+, no issues.

My 18 year old has a basic android style phone cause he prefers his iPod.

My husband has the 8+ and I have the Max. iPhones will last forever with proper care (we also have a couple of 4’s and my original 3g).
Anonymous 2

Unread post

My kids have Moto E5 plus phones. Large, works well amd pretty sturdy. I have a LG 4 Stylo. Im getting the 5 Stylo this weekend. I dont miss Iphone at all. Have you considered getting your daughter an Otterbox or Lifecase? We use Otter and I don't think weve had one issue with breaking even though phones have been dropped several times.
agander2017
Monkey's Mama
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

My son won't have a phone until he is much older, and has his first job. If he starts doing bad in school, he will lose the phone completely.

Anonymous 1

Unread post

I just meant that I can’t imagine an adult using such an old, slow phone. I’m literally surprised it still works.
SolidlyAverage wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:50 pm

Locked Previous topicNext topic