Your dog dying wont get you out of being fired

Unread post

I had to fire a girl at work for a no call no show. We have a rule that a no call no show is a fireable offense the first time. The only exception is if you physically can not call in (if you end up unconscious or something, it has never happened before)

She was a no call no show. We tried calling her multiple times and there was no answer.

Today she showed up for her shift like nothing happened. I had to pull her into my office and sit her down to fire her. She gave me this sob story about how her dog died. It was sad but I told her that she should have at least called and taken a personal day. The employment contract makes the consequences very clear

She left my office in tears saying she lost her dog and now her job.

Part of me feels bad for her because I know I as a wreck when my dog died but I never would have done something that would get me fired like not even bothering to show up or call in.

I am sure many will think the rule is harsh but we used to have a huge problem with it so corporate made the policy
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

It's sad that she was lacking the self-regulation and skills needed to endure a grieving situation & make one phone call. Hopefully she will learn from the mistake.
RedBottoms

Unread post

I think you double posted. I don't feel bad for her as far as the firing. You are right, she should have called. If she called and you told her its okay to not come in-then there would be no bad on either party.
Deleted User 876

Unread post

Guest wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:11 pm I had to fire a girl at work for a no call no show. We have a rule that a no call no show is a fireable offense the first time. The only exception is if you physically can not call in (if you end up unconscious or something, it has never happened before)

She was a no call no show. We tried calling her multiple times and there was no answer.

Today she showed up for her shift like nothing happened. I had to pull her into my office and sit her down to fire her. She gave me this sob story about how her dog died. It was sad but I told her that she should have at least called and taken a personal day. The employment contract makes the consequences very clear

She left my office in tears saying she lost her dog and now her job.

Part of me feels bad for her because I know I as a wreck when my dog died but I never would have done something that would get me fired like not even bothering to show up or call in.

I am sure many will think the rule is harsh but we used to have a huge problem with it so corporate made the policy
Rules are rules. Too many people think they're so special that rules shouldn't apply. That said, it boggles my mind that someone would use this as an excuse to miss work and not even bother to call. Even companies like yours are usually not heartless when it comes to that kind of situation - I've had to do that more than once because we're big furbaby people and never once did I have a boss or HR department that wasn't understanding.
That'swhatshesaid
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Sucks for her but rules are rules. If you make an exception for her, you have to do it for everyone else too.
eyes4ears
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

We were in our busiest days at work when my dog had to be put down. I still went to work, but I had a had time getting through the days.
I couldn't afford to lose my job.
RedBottoms

Unread post

the only exception to not at least call in is if you are unconscious.
NotACatfish
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

Reminds me of when I was in 6th grade and my brother died. I had a teacher tell me it was no excuse not to submit homework because if she bent the rules for me, she’d have to bend them for everyone.

Yeah, rules are rules, but sometimes there are exceptional circumstances where they can/should be broken.
Danesmommy1
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

If she couldn't take 5 minutes to call in an explain, she deserves to be fired.
She is too fond of books and it has turned her brain.

Unread post

NotACatfish wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:02 pm Reminds me of when I was in 6th grade and my brother died. I had a teacher tell me it was no excuse not to submit homework because if she bent the rules for me, she’d have to bend them for everyone.

Yeah, rules are rules, but sometimes there are exceptional circumstances where they can/should be broken.
You dont see the difference between a human dying and a dog dying? A dog dying is not an excuse to miss work WITHOUT calling in. Very few reasons would excuse that. Sick as death or being unconscious in the hospital. SMH
Locked Previous topicNext topic