Do you think we are obligated to help those without healthcare?

curious

Unread post

In our own country, I would say yes, without question.

But what about this uncontacted Amazon tribe? They are certainly dying of preventable/treatable illnesses. We have no idea whether they would want outside help and healthcare. Do we have any social obligation to contact and offer our knowledge and medications, or are we socially obligated to leave them alone? Why would we feel we have to provide for one group but not the other?

Personally, I think it's better to leave them be. I think the culture shock would be too much. But I'm kind of torn, because I imagine that if I had were raising a child in the Amazon who died of something treatable, I would prefer that the outside world intervene. So...I guess I'm kind of torn.
Smarties
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I dont think anyone is OBLIGATED to help anyone else.

It's a good thing to do, when you can. Here or anywhere else. But when you cant, you cant. Here or anywhere else.

Unread post

Smarties wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:17 pm I dont think anyone is OBLIGATED to help anyone else.

It's a good thing to do, when you can. Here or anywhere else. But when you cant, you cant. Here or anywhere else.
So you think it's morally fine to withhold healthcare from people in first world countries who are dying because they can't afford it?

Do you disagree with the law saying that hospitals must treat any patient suffering an emergency regardless of ability to pay? Do you think that a homeless person having a heart attack should be turned away from an ER because they can't afford the treatment? That the child of an impoverished mother should die because they can't afford to see a doctor and get antibiotics?
Smarties
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Guest wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:20 pm
Smarties wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:17 pm I dont think anyone is OBLIGATED to help anyone else.

So you think it's morally fine to withhold healthcare from people in first world countries who are dying because they can't afford it?

Do you disagree with the law saying that hospitals must treat any patient suffering an emergency regardless of ability to pay? Do you think that a homeless person having a heart attack should be turned away from an ER because they can't afford the treatment? That the child of an impoverished mother should die because they can't afford to see a doctor and get antibiotics?

I think people should help where they can and not feel bad if they cant. I believe that's a general principle to apply to many situations.
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

So, basically, should we live by the Prime Directive?

I don't know, I think there is some sound logic behind it, but obviously Captain Kirk doesn't always think it's right. ;)

Unread post

Smarties wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:21 pm

I think people should help where they can and not feel bad if they cant. I believe that's a general principle to apply to many situations.
You didn’t answer the questions. I’m sincerely curious.
Smarties
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Guest wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:22 pm

I think we as a country can afford the things you listed for the most part.

Unread post

Smarties wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:23 pm

I think we as a country can afford the things you listed.
That wasn't the question.
Smarties
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Guest wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:24 pm

Well that's my answer. Take it or leave it.

Unread post

Smarties wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:25 pm
Guest wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:24 pm

Well that's my answer. Take it or leave it.
Guess I’ll leave it since since you don’t seem to be able to grasp the concept! Lol

For the record, this is an example of why I believe we are socially obligated to provide education for children. Lol
Locked Previous topicNext topic