I need help deodorizing a house

Anonymous 1

Unread post

I went to my moms house today to help clean out her extra rooms because she started noticing a smell. She is older and her sense of smell has never been good. When I opened the door to one of the rooms I was shocked. It smells almost exactly like wet dog... except the whole room.

I opened the room, had the fan blowing air out, and sprayed some ozium which is usually what I use for strong odors with no issue.

The room has a bed in it and I took out all the bedding and even steam cleaned the mattress although the ma tress itself didnt smell that bad once I pulled the mattress protector off. I know I need to steam clean the carpet and wipe down all the walls but is there anything I can spray or burn or something that would just kind of make the whole place smell better?

My mom is a non smoker and she doesnt even have pets. We arent sure what is wrong with that room. The other room smelled pretty musty but after I did some cleaning and sprayed some ozium it smelled nice and fresh in there.

It just smells so bad it is hard to even clean in there. I dont know too much about cleaning or cleaning products to know if there is something out there that will help.

TIA
Anonymous 2

Unread post

Does she have a crawl space under her house?
It sounds like something died under there or in the walls.
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Mildew in the walls? floors? After all that cleaning and no better, there's a source somewhere...
Deleted User 670

Unread post

A dead animal in the crawl space will smell like rotting garbage. Water damage will smell musty and mildewy. Does she have any pets? Any grandkids that maybe peed on the carpet? An ultraviolet light will reveal any urine stains on the carpet. The room has to be dark though to see it.
Anonymous 3

Unread post

I’d worry about water damage coming from somewhere, maybe a leaky pipe in the walls or floor, a leak in the roof, or a bad seal around the window.
Anonymous 4

Unread post

Check everywhere for water. It could be under the house, the crawl space, anywhere. To mask the smell while looking for the cause, mix 5-8 drops clove oil, 1/2 cup rubbing alcohol and put in a spray bottle. Spray lightly on soft surfaces like carpet, mattress, whatever. Its only a temp mask but will help. Also how old is the carpet? It could be rotting. That smells nasty too.
Msprekteacher
Regent
Regent

Unread post

It sounds more like mold in the walls OR under the carpet. Pull everything out of the room, pull up the carpet and use a bleach solution to kill any mold or mildew spores. Get a container of damp rid and leave it in there and also a container of baking soda and or a bag of charcoal to absorb the smells.
Anonymous 5

Unread post

You need to find the source of the smell.
Hot4Tchr-Bieg
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Anonymous 2 wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:41 pm Does she have a crawl space under her house?
It sounds like something died under there or in the walls.
This was what I was thinking...find out what's going on under that room.
Don't text while driving. Don''t text while stopped at stop signs and traffic lights. You're not a four year old...exercise some self-control.
Inmybizz
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I agree with the others... find the source of the smell.
Locked Previous topicNext topic