What is your teen curfew?

RealisticBeauty
Regent
Regent

Unread post

My ds will turn 17 in August and he just got hired at his first job. He will be starting next week. The job is about a 20 min walk from his house. They said he will likely work the closing hours so he won't be done until 11 at night. My ds is usually always home before the sun goes down unless he has specific plans and we make arrangements for him to be picked up in a vehicle. I know teens hangout after dark but it is nothing I had to deal with until now. What is a normal time for kids his age to walk alone on the streets at night?
MrsDavidB
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

I would pick the kid up. But if you can't I would have him come straight home after his shift ends. He doesn't need to be walking around out there aimlessly at midnight.
RealisticBeauty
Regent
Regent

Unread post

MrsDavidB wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:10 pm I would pick the kid up. But if you can't I would have him come straight home after his shift ends. He doesn't need to be walking around out there aimlessly at midnight.
His father doesn't drive so unless he makes friends with a co worker who drives then he will have to walk. I will also have him use uber a couple of times a week and the rule is he has to come straight home.
jas
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

You need to check your county laws. He might not be able to walk home at that hour. Crazy, but there are places where he "shouldn't" either.
When my oldest was younger, 11 was his curfew - 11:30 if he worked later. But he also drove.
sarah824
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

DS is 14, 15 in a few months, and he has just recently been allowed to stay out until 10pm and walk home from a friend's house, but she only lives 2-3 blocks away. Prior to that he had to be in by dark or very close to it. There was only a few rare occasions for high school football games that ran long where he was out past dark and walked home. We also live in a small town where everything is no more than a 10-15 minute walk.
Sassy762
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I would go pick him up after work if he is working late. My DS is home before it gets dark.
RealisticBeauty
Regent
Regent

Unread post

jas wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:15 pm You need to check your county laws. He might not be able to walk home at that hour. Crazy, but there are places where he "shouldn't" either.
When my oldest was younger, 11 was his curfew - 11:30 if he worked later. But he also drove.
I will check on that and thankfully he lives in a good suburb but I'm still a bit worried.
MrsDavidB
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

RealisticBeauty wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:14 pm
MrsDavidB wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:10 pm I would pick the kid up. But if you can't I would have him come straight home after his shift ends. He doesn't need to be walking around out there aimlessly at midnight.
His father doesn't drive so unless he makes friends with a co worker who drives then he will have to walk. I will also have him use uber a couple of times a week and the rule is he has to come straight home.
I don't like this situation at all. Walking around late at night. What if the weather is bad? Can you pick him up? Or my husband (stepdad) would pick him up that late. And my son works at Wendy's and his shifts are usually 4-8 or 5-9. MUCH better than getting off at 11. I wouldn't like it.
RealisticBeauty
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Sassy762 wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:17 pm I would go pick him up after work if he is working late. My DS is home before it gets dark.
I wish I could but I can't. I think I may have to inquire about him getting different hours.
carterscutie85
Princess
Princess

Unread post

At that age my curfew was 11pm S-F and midnight on Friday/Saturday. I also walked home from work by myself after dark since I had no one to drive me.
Locked Previous topicNext topic