What does "balancing the books" mean?

Anonymous 1

Unread post

When talking about money/finances?
Anonymous 2

Unread post

I assume balance a checkbook? Which I haven't done in years. With apps and everything these days I don't see the need to.
leadfoot40
Regent
Regent

Unread post

You're joking right?
mcginnisc
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Making sure what I say we have in the accounts matches what the bank says we have.. making sure it is the same on both ends or balanced.
Claire
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
Baconqueen13
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Most people don't "Balance the books" anymore with the push to automatic checking and debit cards etc. In older days when most transactions were done using either cash or check and wrote in ledgers it was a means of comparing the ledger in your check book ( as well as receipts etc) with the bank statement and making sure that they "matched" and all money was accounted for.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

leadfoot40 wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 4:25 pm You're joking right?
Nope
SisterSomeone
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

I literally know the answer to this because I googled it once. I've never had to do this and I didn't know what it meant until I was like 27 or so. All my accounts have been electronic ever since I first opened one.
Anonymous 3

Unread post

In the old days before the internet and electronic banking people used to have to do math and write down what they spent and how much was coming in. I do both electronic and pen and paper balancing for several reasons. Although I see the ignorance of youth a lot thanks to social media and the nonsense being taught in schools today, it astounds me how much over reliance there is on technology.
leadfoot40
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 4:40 pm
leadfoot40 wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 4:25 pm You're joking right?
Nope
How old are you?
ReadingRainbow
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

How much is going in vs. how much is going out
Locked Previous topicNext topic