Cell Phones and Elementary Kids...

Msprekteacher
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I’m on the fence here...and would like an HONEST answer. At what age did your child get their first cell phone?

My husband upgraded yesterday and didn’t have to surrender his old one like I did. He thinks our 7 1/2 yr old should get it.

My objections:

His age
He dies NOT ride a bus
He isn’t left home alone ever
We have an alarm system so if he needs ambulance, police or fire he just needs to push a button.
I am home all summer on the same schedule.

Pros

He does have friends with phones and he could call them.

So what would you do?
RealisticBeauty
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I didn't want my 8 year old to have one but his father went ahead and got him one a few months ago. Our son does ride the bus and he will be walking to school next year so he would've eventually needed it.
MrsDavidB
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

11 when they started middle school. That’s when they started staying after for sports etc and staying home alone for longer periods.
mcginnisc
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I have a teen that doesn't have a phone so I'm probably not the best person for this one. LOL
Our rules are that they can have phones when they can do the following: drive, have a job, or can pay for the phone and bill monthly on their own... OR- we decide they absolutely need one.
We homeschool and I'm with the minions all the time so they have no need for phones. They have ipods so they can face time and text their friends that have ipods/ipads and phones.
I personally don't think a child that young needs a phone except under extenuating circumstances such as going from one parent's home to another so they can communicate with the other parent if necessary.
Claire
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
Deleted User 969

Unread post

DD has had an iPhone since 6ish? But it’s only for home use. She uses it to FaceTime her friends and very limited calling (mostly grandparents).
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

No way would I give a seven year old a cell phone, especially when I'm guessing this is a smart phone if it's your husband's old one. My kids will get a cell phone, without internet access, when they are 13. Before that, if they have a need for a way to get in touch with me, I would get them a firefly or a cheap kid's smart watch that calls three preprogrammed numbers and if he's never allowed alone he doesn't have a need for that now. Little kids have way too many screens in their life as it is, if my seven year old wants to talk to friends, he can go physically see his friends.
Msprekteacher
Regent
Regent

Unread post

No, you are a good opinion! This is where I’m at...but my techs husband....ugh
mcginnisc wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 7:35 am I have a teen that doesn't have a phone so I'm probably not the best person for this one. LOL
Our rules are that they can have phones when they can do the following: drive, have a job, or can pay for the phone and bill monthly on their own... OR- we decide they absolutely need one.
We homeschool and I'm with the minions all the time so they have no need for phones. They have ipods so they can face time and text their friends that have ipods/ipads and phones.
I personally don't think a child that young needs a phone except under extenuating circumstances such as going from one parent's home to another so they can communicate with the other parent if necessary.
mcginnisc
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Trust me... there are times I *really* wish my oldest had a phone. We were out with friends recently and the girls went off with some of their friends that are older teens ( 16-18) to play frisbee. It was starting to get dark and the laser show we were getting ready to watch was starting and they weren't back yet. I had my friend call her dd and ask her to bring mine back..if mine had a phone, I could have called her, but it worked having my friend call her dd as they came right back. Dh works in network security and he is very resistant to the girls having phones until they are driving. I sit on the fence of not wanting them to have phones ( youngest is almost 11 and oldest is 13) and my oldest getting a phone for my convenience when I'm out and she is at home and I need to ask her a question..her ipod has a lag sometimes with texting so if I need an answer right then it is a pain..I will say that my teen does not want a phone and she says it is too much responsibility..she sees her few friends that have phones being irresponsible with theirs so it has colored her opinion a bit.

Msprekteacher wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 8:29 am No, you are a good opinion! This is where I’m at...but my techs husband....ugh
mcginnisc wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 7:35 am I have a teen that doesn't have a phone so I'm probably not the best person for this one. LOL
Claire
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
carterscutie85
Princess
Princess

Unread post

We have a cheap cell phone for the house that my 10 year old can use in an emergency. Other than that he will have a phone when he can pay for it. The cheap phone we have is the equivalent of a house phone which is all I had growing up.
Vegaswife2011
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Both girls got an iPhone from their dad on their 10th birthday. I had nothing to do with it. I will say I’m glad they have them now.
Locked Previous topicNext topic