Polite ways to decline a date or a request to give or get your phone number?

Bubbs
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I said "no thank you" which was very awkward. I don't get hit on a lot, because I am not a supermodel, but I need more replies in my arsenal.
It was SO awkward. I would rather it not be awkward for anyone. I might lie and say I am seeing someone.
Honey, I'm the original one-eyed chicklet in the kingdom of the blind, 'cause at least I admit the world makes me nuts.
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I just say "thanks, that's so nice of you, but I'm not interested in dating right now." It's a lot easier now that I'm married, I just tell them that, but when I was in college it was always hit or miss if they'd accept it or get pushy.
Bubbs
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

He wasn't pushy, he just did the "I just want to be friends and get to know you" thing. and I said "no thank you" again, because it ALWAYS catches me off guard.
Olioxenfree wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 5:49 pm I just say "thanks, that's so nice of you, but I'm not interested in dating right now." It's a lot easier now that I'm married, I just tell them that, but when I was in college it was always hit or miss if they'd accept it or get pushy.
Honey, I'm the original one-eyed chicklet in the kingdom of the blind, 'cause at least I admit the world makes me nuts.
RealisticBeauty
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I just smile and keep it moving. I use to take numbers and never call because I hated giving an explanation. I also love my phone because I always pretend I'm on a call whenever I'm near men.
cellomom26
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Just say "No, I don't want no Scrubs".

Just kidding. That is always awkward.

I would probably have a line already in my head to use, like "I am dating someone, but thank you, I am flattered".
Oliviasmom72
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

It is awkward to say no but there really is no way around it. A mutual friend of me and my sisters has asked me out twice now...I said no thanks again. He was expecting a no though so it wasn't so weird the second time around lol
Bubbs
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

RealisticBeauty wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 5:59 pm I just smile and keep it moving. I use to take numbers and never call because I hated giving an explanation. I also love my phone because I always pretend I'm on a call whenever I'm near men.
I just assume that they don't notice me, because I don't really notice them. So I am always shocked and then I am more awkward than I am usually.
RealisticBeauty
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Bubbs wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 6:03 pm
RealisticBeauty wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 5:59 pm I just smile and keep it moving. I use to take numbers and never call because I hated giving an explanation. I also love my phone because I always pretend I'm on a call whenever I'm near men.
I just assume that they don't notice me, because I don't really notice them. So I am always shocked and then I am more awkward than I am usually.
Well stop assuming that. Men are always looking lol. Have your phone out and ready to pretend.
Bubbs
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I wish there was a way for everyone to be sure of the signals before asking. I am sure it take courage to ask.
Oliviasmom72 wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 6:02 pm It is awkward to say no but there really is no way around it. A mutual friend of me and my sisters has asked me out twice now...I said no thanks again. He was expecting a no though so it wasn't so weird the second time around lol
Bubbs
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

LOL. Yeah, I assume they are looking at the dressed up women, not the one in sweats and a hoodie at the neighborhood gas station. If I am in a bar, I am more ready than going. on about my normal stuff.
RealisticBeauty wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 6:05 pm
Bubbs wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 6:03 pm
Well stop assuming that. Men are always looking lol. Have your phone out and ready to pretend.
Locked Previous topicNext topic