Buy nothing groups on FB

Anonymous 1

Unread post

Do you have one for your location? I use it to give away clutter and it's kinda nice that it's going to neighbors but what I can't stand are the sob stories. Why can't you just say "interested" like everyone else? It becomes like a sad story competition. The first 5 responses are "interested" then you'll have a random , "that will be great for my daycare" or "I'm a teacher in a classroom i work with special needs kids" followed by "I'm a single mom." or "that reminds me of my dead relative."
I'm over here like, "I don't have a sob story, I just want it".
Smarties
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

We have a freecycle Yahoo group. There's one member whose sn is MeILoveMe (modified for privacy but that's the gist) who is only a taker. And always has a sob story. But I swear that woman asks for a washing machine 6 months after someone just gave her one, or a bed for one of her kids 4 months after another person gave her one. There are weekly reminders that it's not a charity group but that doesnt make a difference.

I like to give to people who also give things to others. Everyone has something to offer.
carterscutie85
Princess
Princess

Unread post

The one and only time I posted something for free on one of those groups I got completely bombarded by private messages from people wanting it. And it wasn't even good!!! It was an old giant sized floor model TV. I said never again. I donate things to Salvation Army or the church now.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

I am a local and regional admin for my area. I love Buy Nothing.
Deleted User 876

Unread post

People troll sites like that with their sob stories, get free stuff, sell it, and are right back out there with their sob stories. I'll give stuff away to people I know are actually in need, otherwise it goes to charity.
Anonymous 3

Unread post

Not on fb but there are 5 other online sites I use to get rid of stuff
agander2017
Monkey's Mama
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I have never used one of those groups.

Locked Previous topicNext topic