There really should be a law ( teen employment)

Anonymous 1

Unread post

My 16 yo son works at a local restaurant. His pay week runs Wednesday to Tuesday. After 2 12 hour shifts this weekend plus Wednesday thru Thursday he clocked out tonight with 43 hours and he still has Monday and Tuesday to go. I'm absolutely furious and to make matters even worse he was NEVER allowed a break. I'm about to go freaking nuclear
Emandab
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

So he worked/ or will work all 7 days of this work week?
Fullxbusymom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

As long as my kids were able to maintain their grades in school, I never stepped in. If he is old enough to work he is old enough to advocate for himself. He needs to let them know if he does not want to work 6 days a week all those hours on top of school. He should check your states laws regarding the amt of allowed hours for minors. FYI Not all states require a break as long as they're allowed to eat on the job.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

That's pretty crazy. I didn't realize how few states have laws about this.
https://www.dol.gov/whd/state/nonfarm.htm
Allycally
Viscountess
Viscountess

Unread post

Here there is a law which is why many places wont hire someone under 18
Poietes
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I know there are laws about all of that here for adults as well as minors. Are you sure there aren’t any in your state?
”Just because you can doesn’t mean you should.”
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Poietes wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 11:40 pm I know there are laws about all of that here for adults as well as minors. Are you sure there aren’t any in your state?
Yes. The only rule is no working between 11pm and 5am
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Emandab wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 11:22 pm So he worked/ or will work all 7 days of this work week?
All7 days. He doesn't get a day off until Thursday
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Fullxbusymom wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 11:29 pm As long as my kids were able to maintain their grades in school, I never stepped in. If he is old enough to work he is old enough to advocate for himself. He needs to let them know if he does not want to work 6 days a week all those hours on top of school. He should check your states laws regarding the amt of allowed hours for minors. FYI Not all states require a break as long as they're allowed to eat on the job.
They aren't allowed to work on the job. It's a health code violation.
Deleted User 1039

Unread post

Fullxbusymom wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 11:29 pm As long as my kids were able to maintain their grades in school, I never stepped in. If he is old enough to work he is old enough to advocate for himself. He needs to let them know if he does not want to work 6 days a week all those hours on top of school. He should check your states laws regarding the amt of allowed hours for minors. FYI Not all states require a break as long as they're allowed to eat on the job.
So true. 16 year olds should be expected to behave exactly the same as adults since they are legally able to work.

Here kids can work at 14, so all of our 14 year olds have the same maturity and long-term focus as any adult would have. It’s remarkable how being old enough to do a thing also magically makes you fully competent and prepared for any situation!

Kids lose their virginity around 17 on average. I think we can all agre that teenagers are rational, mature people who always make good decisions and consider the consequences of those decisions carefully. And 17 year olds must be good parents if they are having S*x, thankfully!
Locked Previous topicNext topic