CONGRESSMAN CALLS OUT PRESIDENT TRUMP FOR 'GLORIFYING' GENERAL ROBERT E. LEE: 'HE ALWAYS SAID HE HATES LOSERS'

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Deleted User 473

Unread post

Democratic Congressman James Clyburn called out President Donald Trump for praising slave-owning Confederate General Robert E. Lee, pointing out that the president was praising the military commander of the losing side of this nation’s Civil War.

“He always said he hates losers,” Clyburn, the House Majority Whip who represents South Carolina, said Sunday on ABC News’ This Week .
https://www.newsweek.com/congressman-tr ... rs-1407775
BionicBunny
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Edit for better wording... It is stupid to only acknowledge one historic figure as owning slaves while ignoring all the others who owned slaves. You don’t get to pick and choose our history and we can’t erase history. It had an ugly past. Good came from the bad and times have changed and people have changed, thankfully.
Abraham Lincoln even had views that people would be in disgust with today. He didn’t think blacks should have the same rights and he thought they should go back to Africa.
ReadingRainbow
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

He loves the United States... He also loves traitors who tried to destroy the United States...
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

BionicBunny wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:55 pm People are so stupid to only acknowledge that he had slaves but ignore that so did other very admirable people in our history. Yes! Freaking slaves were owned! That was the time they lived in.
We can’t erase history. It had an ugly past. Good came from the bad and times have changed and people have changed, thankfully.
Abraham Lincoln even had views that people would be in disgust with today. He didn’t think blacks should have the same rights and he thought they should go back to Africa.
I personally don't care about what Trump said and this "you lost the war" tit for tat is incredibly petty. So I don't have a strong opinion about this.

However, no one is stupid for acknowledging the fact that Robert E Lee owned slaves because it is true and even his own descendants are torn about it. Disagreeing with what Trump said or even removing a few statues is not going to erase Lee from southern history.

It would be a huge undertaking to do that and every city/state would have to agree to it.
BionicBunny
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

SouthernIslander wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:23 pm
BionicBunny wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:55 pm People are so stupid to only acknowledge that he had slaves but ignore that so did other very admirable people in our history. Yes! Freaking slaves were owned! That was the time they lived in.
We can’t erase history. It had an ugly past. Good came from the bad and times have changed and people have changed, thankfully.
I personally don't care about what Trump said and this "you lost the war" tit for tat is incredibly petty. So I don't have a strong opinion about this.

However, no one is stupid for acknowledging the fact that Robert E Lee owned slaves because it is true and even his own descendants are torn about it. Disagreeing with what Trump said or even removing a few statues is not going to erase Lee from southern history.

It would be a huge undertaking to do that and every city/state would have to agree to it.
Well now, that’s not what I said. I said they are stupid for ONLY acknowledging that he had slaves but ignoring that other admirable people in history also owned slaves. Many people in our history with good and bad have owned slaves.
I admit it was poor wording. I should have said it is stupid to only acknowledge one historic figure as owning slaves while ignoring all the others who owned slaves. You don’t get to pick and choose our history. People want to acknowledge some things and ignore other things.
It’s ok that it’s acknowledged that General Rober E Lee had slaves but let’s not act like it wasn’t a time where a lot of slaves were owned and how other historic figures had views that wouldn’t be acceptable to today’s standards. Like my example of Abraham Lincoln not wanting slaves to have the same rights as white men and even thought they should be sent back to Africa.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

BionicBunny wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:35 pm

Well that’s not what I said. I said they are stupid for ONLY acknowledging that he had slaves but ignore that other admirable people in history also owned slaves. Many people in our history with good and bad have owned slaves.
I admit it was poor wording. I should have said it is stupid to only acknowledge one history figure as owning slaves while ignoring all the others who owned slaves. You don’t get to pick and choose our history. People want to acknowledge some things and ignore other things.
It’s ok that it’s acknowledged that General Rober E Lee had slaves but let’s not act like it wasn’t a time where a lot of slaves were owned and how other historic figures had views that wouldn’t be acceptable to today’s standards. Like my example of Abraham Lincoln not wanting slaves to have the same rights as white men and even thought they should be sent back to Africa.
Thanks for clarifying and I agree. Lincoln freed the slaves without granting equal rights and that lasted until the 1960s. So, I don't really consider him the admirable person people make him out to be or better than anyone else during that era.

In my experience, people always have a selective memory when it comes to which side of the confederate debate or civil war they stand on. Lincoln and the north weren't on the right side of history either but that's not called out, almost swept under the rug.
Deleted User 276

Unread post

Well now, that’s not what I said. I said they are stupid for ONLY acknowledging that he had slaves but ignoring that other admirable people in history also owned slaves. Many people in our history with good and bad have owned slaves.
I admit it was poor wording. I should have said it is stupid to only acknowledge one historic figure as owning slaves while ignoring all the others who owned slaves. You don’t get to pick and choose our history. People want to acknowledge some things and ignore other things.
Beyond being a general of the confederacy, what admirable qualities would you attribute to Lee?
BionicBunny
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

msb64 wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:18 pm

Beyond being a general of the confederacy, what admirable qualities would you attribute to Lee?
I don’t admire him at all. Some southerners admire his leadership. Or maybe admire isn’t quite the right word...My point is there are other noteworthy people in history that owned slaves. It’s not talked much about. Though I have to say I’m waiting on it. Waiting for the demand to deface President Washington and Thomas Jefferson from mount Rushmore because they owned slaves.

Here is a link on Robert E Lee that I thought may interest you....

https://learnodo-newtonic.com/robert-e-lee-facts
Locked Previous topicNext topic