Forgiving unpaid student loans

RedBottoms

Unread post

So my friend just posted about how she got about $1,400 in student loans. It was not much because it was just a community college. But she paid it all off in full. Now the school is forgiving all student loans in full. So she is like "well hell maybe I should not have bothered paying them off then."

How do you feel about forgiving student loans? Should it work for everyone and if you paid them off-back paying you back? Or is it rewarding people for being irresponsible and not paying them off in the first place? Or is it okay and people that paid theirs off should just get over it?
carterscutie85
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I don't think student loans should be a thing period. I am in favor of free or very low cost college education for all. Other countries do it. I wouldn't care if student loans were forgiven. Yes it sucks for those of us who have paid them already but that's life. Sometimes laws change and people who once paid for stuff no longer pay for it. It's just how the dice rolls at times.
RedBottoms

Unread post

carterscutie85 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:00 pm I don't think student loans should be a thing period. I am in favor of free or very low cost college education for all. Other countries do it. I wouldn't care if student loans were forgiven. Yes it sucks for those of us who have paid them already but that's life. Sometimes laws change and people who once paid for stuff no longer pay for it. It's just how the dice rolls at times.
I agree the costs of college have become outrageous. It should not be free per se but it needs to be reasonable.
7byher
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

IDK. I'd be pretty pissed if I had just paid off my student loans (I just did) then found out it would have been completely forgiven.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Everyone should have to pay off ALL of their loans. Why should the loans be forgiven, you used the service and should pay for it just like everything else
jas
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

It's asinine. You take the loan out, you agree to pay it, do it.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I have no dog in this fight since I never had loans. I know a couple of people that let them default. If that happens I think you get what you deserve.. wage garnishing or whatever. Otherwise I'd be for some sort of help in repaying- interest free loans or some reduction, etc. But I can certainly understand being annoyed that one paid hers off while another got it forgiven.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

My sister was able to get rid of about $60,000 worth of student loan debt when she filed for bankruptcy. I always thought that was BS

The school forgiving a loan is different though and I see nothing wrong with that
7byher
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

Pjmm wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:12 pm I have no dog in this fight since I never had loans. I know a couple of people that let them default. If that happens I think you get what you deserve.. wage garnishing or whatever. Otherwise I'd be for some sort of help in repaying- interest free loans or some reduction, etc. But I can certainly understand being annoyed that one paid hers off while another got it forgiven.
What people don't understand about student loans is that the interest is compounded daily in most cases.
I had a 6k student loan with 6% interest at the time. I accrued interest so fast that I paid on that loan for 2 years straight and never paid a penny to principal.

Eventually I just threw everything from savings to my student loan.
carterscutie85
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Pjmm wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:12 pm I have no dog in this fight since I never had loans. I know a couple of people that let them default. If that happens I think you get what you deserve.. wage garnishing or whatever. Otherwise I'd be for some sort of help in repaying- interest free loans or some reduction, etc. But I can certainly understand being annoyed that one paid hers off while another got it forgiven.
It's already kind of like that though. If you have a low income your loans can be forgiven. I only ever had one loan for like 400 bucks and I could have had it forgiven before I got married due to my income.
Locked Previous topicNext topic