Forgiving unpaid student loans

Anonymous 3

Unread post

Whoops! Now you did it! You woke a sleeping giant!

As with mortgages, I think if you sign on the dotted line, you need to pay off the loan.

Period.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

7byher wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:17 pm
Pjmm wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:12 pm I have no dog in this fight since I never had loans. I know a couple of people that let them default. If that happens I think you get what you deserve.. wage garnishing or whatever. Otherwise I'd be for some sort of help in repaying- interest free loans or some reduction, etc. But I can certainly understand being annoyed that one paid hers off while another got it forgiven.
What people don't understand about student loans is that the interest is compounded daily in most cases.
I had a 6k student loan with 6% interest at the time. I accrued interest so fast that I paid on that loan for 2 years straight and never paid a penny to principal.

Eventually I just threw everything from savings to my student loan.
Idk. I've never had one. But the person that did I believe she could have gotten a refinancing on it. I'm pretty sure she didn't have terms that strict as yours. She was just irresponsible with bills in general.
Hot4Tchr-Bieg
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

I don't believe in ANY gov't interference in the economy. The student loan problem has gotten out of control because the gov't got involved with making student loans more accessible. That allowed colleges to raise prices. Which caused people to overextend themselves with loans.

Every attempt to tip the scales will result in counter-tipping and unintended consequences. Folks have to let the free market manage itself.
Don't text while driving. Don''t text while stopped at stop signs and traffic lights. You're not a four year old...exercise some self-control.
Deleted User 969

Unread post

Agreed. That said, the interest rates should be far lower, as should tuition and fees.
Anonymous 1 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:08 pm Everyone should have to pay off ALL of their loans. Why should the loans be forgiven, you used the service and should pay for it just like everything else
Anonymous 4

Unread post

For some careers, I'd be all for it. Doctors for example, , which we desperately need. Teachers, Engineers, etc. If there's a shortage of qualified people for a certain field, we should give an incentive to fill it.
7byher
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

Anonymous 4 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:46 pm For some careers, I'd be all for it. Doctors for example, , which we desperately need. Teachers, Engineers, etc. If there's a shortage of qualified people for a certain field, we should give an incentive to fill it.
Also anybody that will end up going into mental health.
We're at a deficit for psychologists and psychiatrists. We need more, might as well make it easier for them to pursue the PhD to practice.
Anonymous 5

Unread post

Anonymous 3 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:22 pm Whoops! Now you did it! You woke a sleeping giant!

As with mortgages, I think if you sign on the dotted line, you need to pay off the loan.

Period.
I agree.
RedBottoms

Unread post

Anonymous 4 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:46 pm For some careers, I'd be all for it. Doctors for example, , which we desperately need. Teachers, Engineers, etc. If there's a shortage of qualified people for a certain field, we should give an incentive to fill it.
I love this! I know that the doctors that specialize in autism and other disorders for children I think they call them behavioral pediatricians or something like that were in VAST demand. That is why kids have to wait 2 years on a waiting list sometimes just to be seen. I heard they were basically forgiving their student loans to entice people to go into it
Oliviasmom72
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

I am totally against this in most cases EXCEPT for in fields that are in demand and the person is working in that field.

I know a lot of people who take out student loans then do nothing with their lives or their education. It seems like a rite of passage in the US. I paid for a trade school I took years ago and didn't go into debt.
RedBottoms

Unread post

Oliviasmom72 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:01 pm I am totally against this in most cases EXCEPT for in fields that are in demand and the person is working in that field.

I know a lot of people who take out student loans then do nothing with their lives or their education. It seems like a rite of passage in the US. I paid for a trade school I took years ago and didn't go into debt.
My friend had finagled her job to pay for her college. If she agreed to work for them for 4 years after getting her degree and work for them while in school-they would pay all tuition and books. So that is a sweet deal
Locked Previous topicNext topic