Life is too short to spend it in uncomfortable situations

Anonymous 1

Unread post Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:24 am

Or around people you don’t like. Or doing things that you have an option of NOT doing. I think it’s crazy that everyone says suck things up. But why? It seems like wasting the little bit of time we have being uncomfortable, unhappy or upset. If there’s a way to avoid it
User avatar
SisterSomeone
Countess
Countess
Posts: 454
Joined: Thu May 24, 2018 4:48 am

Unread post Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:42 am

I... agree with your general point. Life is too short to suck most things up, if you already know you hate them.

That said, I don't think that this should be taken to the extreme, or used as an excuse to hurt people or blindly stick to your comfort zone and avoid new experiences. I think that being uncomfortable for the people you love is sometimes worth it, and I think that discomfort is almost always a necessary part of progress and growth, and I don't think you can truly know if you like something or someone until you've tried it. If you try it and still hate it, then yeah, life is definitely too short to keep doing it.
User avatar
Valentina327
Regent
Regent
Posts: 4945
Joined: Mon May 28, 2018 2:23 am

Unread post Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:42 am

Anonymous 1 wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:24 am
Or around people you don’t like. Or doing things that you have an option of NOT doing. I think it’s crazy that everyone says suck things up. But why? It seems like wasting the little bit of time we have being uncomfortable, unhappy or upset. If there’s a way to avoid it

Because sometimes you do things for the people that you love. That's why.
Anonymous 1

Unread post Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:07 am

Valentina327 wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:42 am
Anonymous 1 wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:24 am
Or around people you don’t like. Or doing things that you have an option of NOT doing. I think it’s crazy that everyone says suck things up. But why? It seems like wasting the little bit of time we have being uncomfortable, unhappy or upset. If there’s a way to avoid it

Because sometimes you do things for the people that you love. That's why.
It depends on what. I’m done being so self sacrificing that I’m going to be miserable if I don’t need to be
User avatar
Valentina327
Regent
Regent
Posts: 4945
Joined: Mon May 28, 2018 2:23 am

Unread post Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:14 am

Anonymous 1 wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:07 am
Valentina327 wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:42 am
Anonymous 1 wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:24 am
Or around people you don’t like. Or doing things that you have an option of NOT doing. I think it’s crazy that everyone says suck things up. But why? It seems like wasting the little bit of time we have being uncomfortable, unhappy or upset. If there’s a way to avoid it

Because sometimes you do things for the people that you love. That's why.
It depends on what. I’m done being so self sacrificing that I’m going to be miserable if I don’t need to be
I see your point. Miserable, no, nobody should be miserable. However, there are times that people create their own misery instead of looking for the positive in a situation. I've seen that my own attitude can create misery, or I can find something enjoyable about what I'm doing and its not so terrible. Much of life is all in the approach!
User avatar
LiveWhatULove
Regent
Regent
Posts: 4070
Joined: Mon May 21, 2018 7:55 am

Unread post Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:25 am

I remind my children all the time ”it’s not all about you”.

Life is often full unpleasantness, pain, and discomfort so we can better appreciate joy, love and reward.
User avatar
jas
Regent
Regent
Posts: 3426
Joined: Fri May 25, 2018 8:33 am

Unread post Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:27 am

Depends on the situation. Sometimes that's warranted, other times you can be a selfish twat. There's a line.
Anonymous 2

Unread post Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:45 am

You have to do some things like get medical treatment or brush your teeth or pay your bills or work so you have money to pay your bills. But yes many things are optional.

Can you give some specific examples?
Anonymous 1

Unread post Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:07 am

LiveWhatULove wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:25 am
I remind my children all the time ”it’s not all about you”.

Life is often full unpleasantness, pain, and discomfort so we can better appreciate joy, love and reward.
But if you can avoid it why not? And true it’s not all about me, but that doesn’t mean a continued time of self sacrifice. If I don’t want to I just say no thank you, I’m not going or doing. So far no one died
Anonymous 1

Unread post Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:08 am

jas wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:27 am
Depends on the situation. Sometimes that's warranted, other times you can be a selfish twat. There's a line.
Selfishness is underrated. What is wrong with some selfishness?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic