If you have a kid with ODD

ReadingRainbow
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Anonymous 2 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:53 pm
ReadingRainbow wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:44 pm
Anonymous 2 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:29 pm

Great. Get your doctorate and/or quit calling other professionals with more experience than you ignorant and disgusting and we'll talk further if you'd like. I never said anyone's opinion is scripture.
Umm? No lol.

I’ll continue to call out truth whenever I feel like it.

People- even medical professionals- who think the reason ODD is typically diagnosed is just a parenting problem are idiots.

Most parenting problems aren’t visible in MRIs of the frontal cortex.

Ahhh, so because you think it's true, it is then. Right. LOL. Some less-credentialed person on the internet said so.

I've found what they said to be true and helpful in my life and with my kid.

Regardless of whether or not it's true universally, or the opposite is true, or its somewhere in the middle, they aren't idiots. They're not disgusting. And some have devoted themselves solely to helping these kids and families be more successful. So yes, I will continue to call you out for saying they are disgusting and ignorant.

LMAO I don’t give a shit what you think is true... It is disgusting to call ODD a parenting problem, and it is ignorant to ignore the very real physiological evidence showing otherwise...

Think what you will... I am not trying to change your mind.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

ReadingRainbow wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:59 pm
Anonymous 2 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:53 pm
ReadingRainbow wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:44 pm

Umm? No lol.

I’ll continue to call out truth whenever I feel like it.

People- even medical professionals- who think the reason ODD is typically diagnosed is just a parenting problem are idiots.

Most parenting problems aren’t visible in MRIs of the frontal cortex.

Ahhh, so because you think it's true, it is then. Right. LOL. Some less-credentialed person on the internet said so.

I've found what they said to be true and helpful in my life and with my kid.

Regardless of whether or not it's true universally, or the opposite is true, or its somewhere in the middle, they aren't idiots. They're not disgusting. And some have devoted themselves solely to helping these kids and families be more successful. So yes, I will continue to call you out for saying they are disgusting and ignorant.

LMAO I don’t give a shit what you think is true... It is disgusting to call ODD a parenting problem, and it is ignorant to ignore the very real physiological evidence showing otherwise...

Think what you will... I am not trying to change your mind.

It is not disgusting. It was the precise thing we needed to know for my sd to help her. Your opinion can't be taken seriously.
Deleted User 172

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:51 pm
Lemons wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:58 pm Doctors used to blame autism 100% on the mothers. Before science and research got a little better.

Some kids seem to be born so difficult it’s like setting up parents to fail. Others are so easy that parents get to take credit they don’t deserve. The worst possible combinations are difficult kids and shitty parents. I feel for every parent with a difficult kid.
That's my kids exactly one so difficult it's like setting us up to fail and one so easy we get lots of credit for her. People who know me tell me its definitely not my parenting just look at how great my dd is.
You should read/listen to Scream Free Parenting. I forget who it's by but it's on Amazon.
I started using this method with both my kids. My autistic one thrives with this approach. My little one (he's 6) is still trying to push the boundaries and get his way but I just calmly tell him no as many times as it takes and he eventually calms right now.

I also make it a point to thank them for things. 'Thank you Alex for xyz." Or "I really appreciate the way you handled that, you're becoming a wonderful young man."

For my little one I'm trying to stop the annoying whining. I saw on FB I think a woman that said you can stop whining in a heartbeat with one sentence. "I need you to use your big boy/girl voice."
It works with my little one.
Baconqueen13
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Anonymous 2 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:39 pm
ReadingRainbow wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:42 am
Anonymous 2 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:05 am

I went to a one day conference on ODD and was told this by the doctors there. And that they focus on training the parent because of it. When I mentioned this on the old cm, of course I was ripped to shreds.
You had doctors tell you that ODD is a result of shitty parenting?

That’s disgusting... but I guess it’s normal to have ignorant people in every profession.

1. I have no respect for the opinion of people who call medical professionals, many there who worked exclusively with children with ODD and had lots of experience and education, "ignorant," when you've never met them. They are far from ignorant, even if their opinions dont match yours. The strategies I learned from them proved very effective for my sd.

2. Of course they didnt use those terms. Bacon is taking it a little too far with calling people names.
To be clear, I never called anyone names. I simply spoke bluntly. If someone takes offense or feels "attacked" that is on them, but to be clear I never called anyone a "shitty parent" I said that ODD is referred to as the "Shitty parent disease" if someone feels it applies to them, well that's on them.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

Baconqueen13 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:23 pm
ReadingRainbow wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:42 am

You had doctors tell you that ODD is a result of shitty parenting?

That’s disgusting... but I guess it’s normal to have ignorant people in every profession.

1. I have no respect for the opinion of people who call medical professionals, many there who worked exclusively with children with ODD and had lots of experience and education, "ignorant," when you've never met them. They are far from ignorant, even if their opinions dont match yours. The strategies I learned from them proved very effective for my sd.

2. Of course they didnt use those terms. Bacon is taking it a little too far with calling people names.
To be clear, I never called anyone names. I simply spoke bluntly. If someone takes offense or feels "attacked" that is on them, but to be clear I never called anyone a "shitty parent" I said that ODD is referred to as the "Shitty parent disease" if someone feels it applies to them, well that's on them.

That's fair enough I guess.

I'm not going to say I think all parents with a child who has ODD are bad parents. I'm just relaying what they told me, and since I found it to be true for my sd I know it must be true for at least some people. Maybe it was easier for me to accept without being offended because it wasn't my parenting in question, since she lived with her mother when she was diagnosed. People tend to want to bash opinions that offend them.

I did however definitely take issue with people calling doctors who've invested so much into these kids and done so much to help them ignorant and disgusting.

I'm sorry if I misconstrued your words.
Baconqueen13
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Anonymous 2 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:41 pm
Baconqueen13 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:23 pm

That's fair enough I guess.

I'm not going to say I think all parents with a child who has ODD are bad parents. I'm just relaying what they told me, and since I found it to be true for my sd I know it must be true for at least some people. Maybe it was easier for me to accept without being offended because it wasn't my parenting in question, since she lived with her mother when she was diagnosed. People tend to want to bash opinions that offend them.

I did however definitely take issue with people calling doctors who've invested so much into these kids and done so much to help them ignorant and disgusting.

I'm sorry if I misconstrued your words.
I've said it many times that I don't think all parents whose child has an ODD diagnosis are bad parents. However, in many cases the underlying cause IS in fact the parents for most cases whether intentionally or unintentionally. You're not the only one misconstruing what I'm saying so don't worry about it. I think what most are missing here is they think that because I say ODD is the "Shitty parent" disease they feel it means they aren't good people. People can be good people and still be shitty at parenting. They can implement XYZ steps and follow what methods are supposed to help etc and still fail in helping their kids. A lot of it is because while they may implement the tools suggested they don't stop to think about the patterns they've already established in their parenting and are still parenting the same way just with XYZ tool added to the end. So the result is still ODD being a "Shitty parent disease". Does it mean the person is a shitty person? No, they just suck at being parents. A lot is because they're too busy trying to fix the kid's behavior rather than look in the mirror and see how their own actions/behaviors have caused or worsened the condition to begin with and fix THAT too.
Locked Previous topicNext topic