Unvaccinated boy nearly died from tetanus. The cost of his care was almost $1 million.

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Mother_of_Dragons wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:08 pm
Pjmm wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:07 pm
Mother_of_Dragons wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:42 pm Stupidity and a shitty insurance coverage

Murica
What can it cost to stitch a child and give a shot a couple of hundred? Maybe Five at most? Set up a payment plan with the ER like everyone else does. Someone certainly covered his life support I would imagine that it could have covered the proper treatment.
The system is very broken.
I'm not arguing that. I've a terrible deductible. However I'm not going to sit at home and stitch my child's hand. Where did they even get the proper thread.. the needle and know how? It's not like you stitch a tear in your jeans with a sewing needle. That shit is just creepy. They could have gotten care and paid a few dollars a month towards the ER bill. Instead they treated at home and refused further vaccinations. These people have a screw loose.
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Because chances are the boy became infected from the cut he had OUTDOORS, not from the stitching. You don’t know if the parents had some training and knew how to do it. I do. And I didn’t read anything in the OPs link that suggested it was done in an unclean environment. If that kid had been vaccinated, then even the at home stitching wouldn’t have been an issue.
I’m willing to bet that they didn’t want to take the kid to get stitches at the hospital because they knew the doctors would push for a tetanus shot.
Valentina327 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:12 pm
Momto2boys973 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:29 pm Poor kid. It’s so sad he suffered that much when it could’ve been so easily avoided...
...By his parents taking him to a doctor or hospital to get stitched up in a sterile environment with proper equipment. How on earth is anyone twisting this into pounding in the anti-vax crowd?
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

The thread and needle come in several basic first aid kits. You can get stitching supplies in medical supply stores, even in pharmacies. And the know how isn’t that critical. I learned it in pre-med in about an hour. I could stitch my child’s hand if I had to. Obviously I would prefer someone with more practice because of scarring, but I still could do it.
There’s nothing in the link to suggest that they just grabbed a needle and thread from granny’s old sewing box and just went it without anesthesia or hygiene.
Pjmm wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:13 pm
Pjmm wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:07 pm
What can it cost to stitch a child and give a shot a couple of hundred? Maybe Five at most? Set up a payment plan with the ER like everyone else does. Someone certainly covered his life support I would imagine that it could have covered the proper treatment.
I'm not arguing that. I've a terrible deductible. However I'm not going to sit at home and stitch my child's hand. Where did they even get the proper thread.. the needle and know how? It's not like you stitch a tear in your jeans with a sewing needle. That sh*t is just creepy. They could have gotten care and paid a few dollars a month towards the ER bill. Instead they treated at home and refused further vaccinations. These people have a screw loose.
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
HanSolo
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Momto2boys973 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:29 pm Poor kid. It’s so sad he suffered that much when it could’ve been so easily avoided...
...By his parents taking him to a doctor or hospital to get stitched up in a sterile environment with proper equipment. How on earth is anyone twisting this into pounding in the anti-vax crowd?
I don’t vaccinate but when my dd needed stitches we went to the hospital and she got a tetanus shot.
HanSolo
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Momto2boys973 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:40 pm Because chances are the boy became infected from the cut he had OUTDOORS, not from the stitching. You don’t know if the parents had some training and knew how to do it. I do. And I didn’t read anything in the OPs link that suggested it was done in an unclean environment. If that kid had been vaccinated, then even the at home stitching wouldn’t have been an issue.
I’m willing to bet that they didn’t want to take the kid to get stitches at the hospital because they knew the doctors would push for a tetanus shot.
I don’t vaccinate but when my dd needed stitches we went to the hospital and she got a tetanus shot.
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Good. That’s what should’ve been done in this case.
If that kid had gotten a tetanus shot, he wouldn’t have gotten sick, even with the at home stitching. Unless the parents used a rusty needle they found on the backyard floor, it’s highly unlikely that the source of the infection was the stitching, especially with him being wounded outdoors, the soil being a common place for the teranus bacteria to be in.
HanSolo wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:57 pm
Momto2boys973 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:40 pm Because chances are the boy became infected from the cut he had OUTDOORS, not from the stitching. You don’t know if the parents had some training and knew how to do it. I do. And I didn’t read anything in the OPs link that suggested it was done in an unclean environment. If that kid had been vaccinated, then even the at home stitching wouldn’t have been an issue.

❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
HanSolo
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Momto2boys973 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:33 pm Good. That’s what should’ve been done in this case.
If that kid had gotten a tetanus shot, he wouldn’t have gotten sick, even with the at home stitching. Unless the parents used a rusty needle they found on the backyard floor, it’s highly unlikely that the source of the infection was the stitching, especially with him being wounded outdoors, the soil being a common place for the teranus bacteria to be in.

It’s annoying sometimes that people don’t understand that “anti-vaxers” aren’t generally idiots.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Momto2boys973 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:46 pm The thread and needle come in several basic first aid kits. You can get stitching supplies in medical supply stores, even in pharmacies. And the know how isn’t that critical. I learned it in pre-med in about an hour. I could stitch my child’s hand if I had to. Obviously I would prefer someone with more practice because of scarring, but I still could do it.
There’s nothing in the link to suggest that they just grabbed a needle and thread from granny’s old sewing box and just went it without anesthesia or hygiene.

I'm not arguing that. I've a terrible deductible. However I'm not going to sit at home and stitch my child's hand. Where did they even get the proper thread.. the needle and know how? It's not like you stitch a tear in your jeans with a sewing needle. That sh*t is just creepy. They could have gotten care and paid a few dollars a month towards the ER bill. Instead they treated at home and refused further vaccinations. These people have a screw loose.
Idk what first aid you bought but I've bought several. For work and for scouting and it's never been in one of mine. Ds has taken scout wilderness survival and there's no discussion of stitching in first aid classes nor in mine I've taken as part of CPR and first aid. Most people aren't in pre med and I say proper equipment or not these parents still have a screw loose. Anesthesia isn't all that easy to come by. That numbing spray stuff at Walgreens isn't going to cut it for stitching a wound.
Deleted User 969

Unread post

Wouldn’t that mean you’re not technically an anti-vaxer? 😜

Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

It’s still not that hard to come by all the necessary equipment. And if they live in a rural area, probably far from a hospital, it’s not a bad idea to have such things at hand for minor wounds.
And, as I said, the infection was probably caused by his original outdoors wound. Tetanus lives in organic rich soil, like soil that’s been treated with manure, or where animals roam free. It’s extremely unlike that a first aid needle used for stitching was the cause.
Pjmm wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:43 pm
Momto2boys973 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:46 pm The thread and needle come in several basic first aid kits. You can get stitching supplies in medical supply stores, even in pharmacies. And the know how isn’t that critical. I learned it in pre-med in about an hour. I could stitch my child’s hand if I had to. Obviously I would prefer someone with more practice because of scarring, but I still could do it.

Idk what first aid you bought but I've bought several. For work and for scouting and it's never been in one of mine. Ds has taken scout wilderness survival and there's no discussion of stitching in first aid classes nor in mine I've taken as part of CPR and first aid. Most people aren't in pre med and I say proper equipment or not these parents still have a screw loose. Anesthesia isn't all that easy to come by. That numbing spray stuff at Walgreens isn't going to cut it for stitching a wound.
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
Locked Previous topicNext topic