Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez expertly shuts down conservatives calling for boycott after learning she was a Girl Scout

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Carpy wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:09 pm
Pjmm wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:51 pm
Libbylu2 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:40 pm

I just bought a box-they’re $5.00 now!
Yikes
Off topic but I'm really interested to see if girls start coming to boy scouts now that they are allowed. My GS troop was boring and there is no Eagle rank equivalent that employers find valuable. Yds has asked, and so has my boss, why GS can't just adopt the boy scout ranks and programs. And Idk. Idk if they don't want to or they can't. I've also heard girls don't get to keep much of the cookie profits. So I guess I'll look for copycat recipes for tagalongs lol.
They just fought for and got a GIRLS ONLY boy scout troop in Ohio. Ummm...you already had that. It was called GIRL SCOUTS.
It's not the same. I don't think people realize unless they've had a boy and a girl in scouting. Employers see the highest rank- Eagle-as a very valuable thing. And there are scholarships for it. GS don't have these ranks. They don't have order of the Arrow which stresses volunteerism and leadership. I didn't do the sort of outings my brother did. Our troop wasn't girl run like boy scouts let their older boys run meetings. I do think GS needs to adopt boy scout programs and promote leadership more. But if they're not going to then girls have an option. And yes the girls and boys are separate. That's my understanding. They won't camp together. So a girl only troop makes sense.
Deleted User 276

Unread post

Pjmm wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:30 pm

Off topic but I'm really interested to see if girls start coming to boy scouts now that they are allowed. My GS troop was boring and there is no Eagle rank equivalent that employers find valuable. Yds has asked, and so has my boss, why GS can't just adopt the boy scout ranks and programs. And Idk. Idk if they don't want to or they can't. I've also heard girls don't get to keep much of the cookie profits. So I guess I'll look for copycat recipes for tagalongs lol.
They just fought for and got a GIRLS ONLY boy scout troop in Ohio. Ummm...you already had that. It was called GIRL SCOUTS.
It's not the same. I don't think people realize unless they've had a boy and a girl in scouting. Employers see the highest rank- Eagle-as a very valuable thing. And there are scholarships for it. GS don't have these ranks. They don't have order of the Arrow which stresses volunteerism and leadership. I didn't do the sort of outings my brother did. Our troop wasn't girl run like boy scouts let their older boys run meetings. I do think GS needs to adopt boy scout programs and promote leadership more. But if they're not going to then girls have an option. And yes the girls and boys are separate. That's my understanding. They won't camp together. So a girl only troop makes sense.
Boy Scouts is huge in my county but they've never been able to establish a Girl Scouts troop. I don't know why. Someone posted on the community page that they were forming a Scout troop for girls and they got some backlash including "join the Girl Scouts". Again, there is no GS troop! I hope the new Scout troop is successful because girls in our county need something like that. A lot of girls are in 4-H but it would be nice for our community to have this outlet as well.
Deleted User 276

Unread post

Yikes
I think all of the Scout BSA troops are single gender - not just in Ohio.
29again
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Pjmm wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:29 am Idk.. in recent years those cookie boxes have gotten smaller and more expensive. Girl scouts are no more or less godless than they ever been but I won't buy the damned cookies. And I think boy scouts overall is a more interesting and better program.
Yikes

Yes, the smores and the gluten free cookies are $5 a box. All the others are still $4 a box. I bought quite a few of them from my granddaughter. I certainly don't need the cookies (but those thin mints.... omg!) but I do like to support my baby in these things. I also buy candy from her in the fall when the GS sell candy. Now, those boxes are small and expensive!
Expand your thinking

It’s possible to disagree with an article and not respond with a personal attack you know.
Try it.
jas
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

msb64 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:52 pm
Pjmm wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:30 pm

Boy Scouts is huge in my county but they've never been able to establish a Girl Scouts troop. I don't know why. Someone posted on the community page that they were forming a Scout troop for girls and they got some backlash including "join the Girl Scouts". Again, there is no GS troop! I hope the new Scout troop is successful because girls in our county need something like that. A lot of girls are in 4-H but it would be nice for our community to have this outlet as well.
Overseas they just have scouting. The world wide jamboree is mixed. Intercamp in Europe is mixed. When my oldest went with his troop (US military based boy scout troop) to Switzerland there were troops with both boys and girls. They did many activities together. I don't know why the US is so hung up on gender separation in this instance. In a lot of places, it's just "scouting". The girl scouts here have always paled in comparison to the boy scouts. They have cookies and a lot of feminist ideals but can't tie a knot worth a damn. ;)
Libbylu2
Regent
Regent

Unread post

29again wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:56 am
Pjmm wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:29 am Idk.. in recent years those cookie boxes have gotten smaller and more expensive. Girl scouts are no more or less godless than they ever been but I won't buy the damned cookies. And I think boy scouts overall is a more interesting and better program.
Yikes

Yes, the smores and the gluten free cookies are $5 a box. All the others are still $4 a box. I bought quite a few of them from my granddaughter. I certainly don't need the cookies (but those thin mints.... omg!) but I do like to support my baby in these things. I also buy candy from her in the fall when the GS sell candy. Now, those boxes are small and expensive!
All of the varieties are $5.00 here.
🙁
29again
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Libbylu2 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:36 am

Yikes

🙁
Yikes! Do they sell candy in your area? I only get a couple boxes of the candy, but the cookies are still more affordable than the candy.
Expand your thinking

It’s possible to disagree with an article and not respond with a personal attack you know.
Try it.
Libbylu2
Regent
Regent

Unread post

29again wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:53 pm

🙁
Yikes! Do they sell candy in your area? I only get a couple boxes of the candy, but the cookies are still more affordable than the candy.
I don’t think they sell candy.
But I only buy the “ caramel delights “ and leave quickly before I lose control and buy more varieties! So maybe I just didn’t notice candy!
😂
29again
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Libbylu2 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:57 pm
🙁
But I only buy the “ caramel delights “ and leave quickly before I lose control and buy more varieties! So maybe I just didn’t notice candy!
😂
I never knew they sold candy until my granddaughter brought over the sheet. It is done at a different time, I think in the fall. I never see them in the stores selling the candy either, the way you do with the cookies.

Yeah, the chocolate covered caramels with sea salt were divine, but $8 for 10 pieces was a bit high for me!
Expand your thinking

Try it.
Libbylu2
Regent
Regent

Unread post

29again wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:01 pm
Libbylu2 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:57 pm

😂
I never knew they sold candy until my granddaughter brought over the sheet. It is done at a different time, I think in the fall. I never see them in the stores selling the candy either, the way you do with the cookies.

Yeah, the chocolate covered caramels with sea salt were divine, but $8 for 10 pieces was a bit high for me!
Wow! Yes!
Locked Previous topicNext topic