Utah teacher forced student to wash off Ash Wednesday cross on forehead, family says

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Lemons wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:40 pm
Momto2boys973 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:32 pm Sounds like a case of ignorance. She ultimately apologized.
But why wouldn't she listen to him? At 4th grade I'm sure he could explain it's a Catholic thing. How rare could Catholics be?
Ikr? Maybe in Utah or wherever she is there are no Catholics? I assumed everyone knew about ash Wednesday.
Lexy
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Momto2boys973 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:32 pm Sounds like a case of ignorance. She ultimately apologized.
But why wouldn't she listen to him? At 4th grade I'm sure he could explain it's a Catholic thing. How rare could Catholics be?
Catholics make up only about 5 percent of Utah's population, according to Pew Research. Several Catholic Utahns shared the good and bad of living in a state that is about 55 percent LDS.
https://universe.byu.edu/2017/05/12/fin ... ds-people/
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Lexy wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:43 pm
Catholics make up only about 5 percent of Utah's population, according to Pew Research. Several Catholic Utahns shared the good and bad of living in a state that is about 55 percent LDS.
https://universe.byu.edu/2017/05/12/fin ... ds-people/
Wow, only 5%, no wonder he was the only one. That's probably about how many Mormons are in the northeast. The Mormons I've know were always super nice but very secretive on what goes on in their temples. And they encourage the young people to marry other Mormons.
Deleted User 276

Unread post

Pjmm wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:15 pm
Ikr? Maybe in Utah or wherever she is there are no Catholics? I assumed everyone knew about ash Wednesday.
Anglicans, Episcopalians, and Lutherans also put ashes on their foreheads on Ash Wednesday. I too thought everyone knew about ash Wednesday.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

msb64 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:59 pm

Anglicans, Episcopalians, and Lutherans also put ashes on their foreheads on Ash Wednesday. I too thought everyone knew about ash Wednesday.
I didn't know that about Lutherans. I know nothing about that branch of Christianity. A quick Google of what the boy was telling her would have confirmed he was telling the truth. But maybe she truly didn't know and didn't listen. If that's so then move on. She apologized.
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

We really don’t know what the kid told her. It just says that he “tried to explain, but she wouldn’t listen”. We really don’t know how far his trying got.

I remember a few years back on Masterchef Junior here in Mexico, there was a little Jewish girl as a contestant. One of the challenges was cooking pork and she was bullied by the judges to try it. The poor girl did and you could hear her saying “my grandma will be so mad” before she took a bite. In the US that would be a scandal. Here it didn’t make anyone bat an eyelash. Now, Mexico is over 80% Catholic and Jews are limited to certain areas, so it’s not shocking that the judges or the public didn’t have the knowledge of kosher and also, that they didn’t have the sensitivity to understand the importance that carries for others.

I think this is what happened here. Just as I wouldn’t call those judges anti-Semitic for their lack of knowledge and understanding, I wouldn’t call this teacher intolerant. I don’t think she did this out of any prejudice or hatred, I think it was simply ignorance. Obviously that doesn’t make it better, but let’s not go around putting labels on people that they don’t deserve. She did try to apologize once she was educated about her mistake.
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
hockeymom87
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I know about it but don’t do anything for it. I’m baptist. But I grew up around quite a few different religions.
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

The kid did say that he was the only Catholic in his whole class. Obviously if he had to explain to everyone what it was about, they’re a minority,
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
29again
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Pjmm wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:06 pm

I didn't know that about Lutherans. I know nothing about that branch of Christianity. A quick Google of what the boy was telling her would have confirmed he was telling the truth. But maybe she truly didn't know and didn't listen. If that's so then move on. She apologized.
I grew up Lutheran, had to go to every single church service. We never got ashes on our foreheads, but we did have a service on Ash Wednesday. It could be a regional thing, or a thing with the other branch of Lutherans. Aaand, I can't remember now which branch my church was part of!
Expand your thinking

It’s possible to disagree with an article and not respond with a personal attack you know.
Try it.
Billie.jeens
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I have a hard time believing the story.

I'm fairly certain that Utah, has TV, Radio and Newspapers.
That school must have a history class somewhere.
"Ash Wednesday" can not be a complete mystery in Utah.

I always say that teachers are glorified babysitters - purposefully or accidently pushing the progressive agenda.
She is either pushing the Progressive agenda - or truly is not intelligent enough to be in the school system.

Maybe she could be an unglorified babysitter somewhere.
“Modern journalism is all about deciding which facts the public shouldn’t know because they might reflect badly on Democrats."
Locked Previous topicNext topic