‘Emotional support animal’ mauls 5-year-old girl at Portland airport

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
BionicBunny
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Libbylu2 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:32 am
BionicBunny wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:26 pm
Momto2boys973 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:39 pm No, I’m not uneducated and I really don’t care if my opinion offends you. I stand by it.

As I said, animals can offer certain comfort when going through tough times, that doesn’t mean they should be allowed everywhere or that it’s healthy for people to become dependent on these animals or that better laws and control needs to be put in place so that people don’t abuse. Just as it’s not healthy for people to become dependent on medication or other substances or inanimate objects to be able to function. They are temporary tools to help people cope, but they shouldn’t be seen as a solution.

I may not have gone through what your sister did exactly, but I’ve had my share of problems and since you don’t know them, maybe you should take a page out of your own book and shut it if you don’t know me or what I’ve been through.
And I’m such a strong person that I managed to get through the tough times without having to depend on my pooch to get me through it. So it’s pathetic that you accuse me of weakness because of it. I pulled myself through it with MY own strength. I took the help and assistance I neede, but I didn’t become dependent on them. So maybe you should keep your assumptions and judgments to yourself if you don’t know me.

Hold the phones! Say what? You claim that people shouldn’t be “ dependent on medications”. Yeah right! Tell that to the next diabetic you meet or that heart patient that depends on heart medications or those needing blood thinners or those with severe anxiety... the list goes on. You may not be uneducated but that wasn’t a very smart comment
Those medications are for genuine physical illnesses .( except for the anxiety meds)
Your reply illustrates another case of apples and oranges again!
Dogs or cats or horses used to support emotionally unstable people is another thing altogether .
Not comparable at all.
That’s where you are wrong, the anxiety part can be physical. Chemical imbalances in the brain, and physical problem, can cause anxiety and depression. That’s why I always say mental illnesses are often more than a mental problem, they are also technically physical and should be taken just as serious as other physical problems such as not being able to regulate the sugar your body needs. Like a diabetic, anxiety and depression suffers have something physicausing the problem.
No apples and oranges here. And if we want to get more technical and dive into scientific studies about the proven benefits of having a pet and how it lowers blood pressure and other benefits...
jas
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Libbylu2 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:28 am
Poietes wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:26 am There are a few heartless ignorant responses I want to reply to but I don’t have the time and I don’t want to say something I may regret right now. I just find it amusing that the people who claim to be the most empathetic and “worldly” are the rudest most heartless and ignorant responses I’ve ever seen.
If the opinions of other posters upset you this much, you could use the “foe” function.
But it’s a mystery to me why a social site like this is that important to you and why differing views make you so traumatized.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAA
Deleted User 276

Unread post

jas wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:16 pm
Poietes wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:26 am There are a few heartless ignorant responses I want to reply to but I don’t have the time and I don’t want to say something I may regret right now. I just find it amusing that the people who claim to be the most empathetic and “worldly” are the rudest most heartless and ignorant responses I’ve ever seen.
If the opinions of other posters upset you this much, you could use the “foe” function.
But it’s a mystery to me why a social site like this is that important to you and why differing views make you so traumatized.
I unashamedly admit that I snorted coffee when I read that post.
Poietes
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Lol, pot meet kettle. There are few times I get upset with replies but the disgusting attitude against people with ptsd and autism that you and another poster are displaying makes me sick. You really shouldn’t be talking about getting upset with others opinions, you are the one that calls people names and claims to be constantly bullied by others opinions. I have had the same name on both cm and here, I have never left and had my account deleted because I couldn’t handle what others were saying. Can you say the same?
”Just because you can doesn’t mean you should.”
Poietes
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Right? I don’t think there could possibly be a more hypocritical reply ever written.
Poietes
Regent
Regent

Unread post

msb64 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:25 pm
I unashamedly admit that I snorted coffee when I read that post.
Right, I had to double check who quoted me when I read that reply.
Poietes
Regent
Regent

Unread post

morgan wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:49 am
Libbylu2 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:32 am
BionicBunny wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:26 pm

Hold the phones! Say what? You claim that people shouldn’t be “ dependent on medications”. Yeah right! Tell that to the next diabetic you meet or that heart patient that depends on heart medications or those needing blood thinners or those with severe anxiety... the list goes on. You may not be uneducated but that wasn’t a very smart comment
Those medications are for genuine physical illnesses .( except for the anxiety meds)
Your reply illustrates another case of apples and oranges again!
Dogs or cats or horses used to support emotionally unstable people is another thing altogether .
Not comparable at all.
You don't think anxiety is a genuine issue? Do you think a person with extreme anxiety doesn't deserve to have a normal quality of life that drugs? (drugs that work, proven by science)
But here’s the thing, a service animal can help just as much sometimes more than med and not f**k with their bodies. I have watch my friends son with autism go though this. He had tried a few different medications and he was having meltdowns and suicidal many times, as a 10 year old. She got him off all of the medicines, used natural calming solutions and worked with his doctor to find a service dog. They travelled half way across the country, paid thousands of dollars and trained there for weeks to have this dog work with her son. Having her and being able to take her into stressful situations that would usually result in a meltdown has changed his life and possibly saved his life. Technically she is a trained service dog but she is trained to help his emotions. After seeing that no one will ever convince me that emotional support dogs are not needed. I do believe they should be required to at least have basic obedience training but they truly are a type of medicine for people with mental illness.
Libbylu2
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Poietes wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:30 pm
Lol, pot meet kettle. There are few times I get upset with replies but the disgusting attitude against people with ptsd and autism that you and another poster are displaying makes me sick. You really shouldn’t be talking about getting upset with others opinions, you are the one that calls people names and claims to be constantly bullied by others opinions. I have had the same name on both cm and here, I have never left and had my account deleted because I couldn’t handle what others were saying. Can you say the same?
I’ve never had my account deleted.
I’ve taken a couple of breaks because of posters who threatened me and started giving her pals personal information about me that she got after hacking my Facebook account.
She and a couple of others were unreal. She was banned from
CM.
I haven’t said anything questionable here.

Service Dogs for the blind , physically disabled and victims of PTSD are understandable. They’re trained and helpful.
The other animals that supposedly help people with anxiety , etc —I’m not sure that they are that necessary
But it’s my opinion.
Poietes
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Libbylu2 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:48 pm
Poietes wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:30 pm
I’ve never had my account deleted.
I’ve taken a couple of breaks because of posters who threatened me and started giving her pals personal information about me that she got after hacking my Facebook account.
She and a couple of others were unreal. She was banned from
CM.
I haven’t said anything questionable here.

Service Dogs for the blind , physically disabled and victims of PTSD are understandable. They’re trained and helpful.
The other animals that supposedly help people with anxiety , etc —I’m not sure that they are that necessary
But it’s my opinion.
Really? You’ve never had them delete your account? So you still have at least three accounts open? Because this is at least your 3rd screen name just on this site. Who know how many you had on cm. The fact that you think ptsd is an illness and anxiety isn’t tells me you in fact are ignorant on the subject.
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

MysticDreamer wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:31 pm I think the law should be changed where it is required to produce proof your animal is a support dog, when asked. The law can be written in such a way where the diagnosis and reason for the support animal is revealed, just some sort of documentation the animal is a true support animal. Any more people bring their pets everywhere, just because. If the animal is well behaved and doesn't cause a problem, they are left alone.
Should someone need to show proof that they need their wheelchair? They could just be faking it.
Locked Previous topicNext topic