‘Emotional support animal’ mauls 5-year-old girl at Portland airport

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
morgan
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Olioxenfree wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:47 pm They are entitled to bring their emotional support animal, that is the law. One tragic incident does not change that.
Entitled. There it is. Boy you hit the nail on the head.

Question: Do you think Emotional Support Animals co-existing in pubic places such as airports and grocery stores should have legal documentation? Or should it just be kept "on your honor" as it is now?
KAG
Mean Girl
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Billie.jeens wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:48 am
morgan wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:38 am
Pjmm wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:29 am This isn't funny but it reminds me of a bit college humor did with the Jurassic Park main actors. They tried to bring a support dinosaur- Blue- aboard a plane. I've gotten used to seeing dogs everywhere even my supermarket but it is getting ridiculous. They should be trained and one should have to produce papers for it. Also one should have a proper diagnosis. PTSD, autism, epilepsy, blindness, deafness. The emotional support thing is out of hand.
A while back, I was grocery shopping and a lady had a Chihuahua in the cart where babies sit. A Chihuahua wearing an emotional support vest. As it was shaking. A Chihuahua. The most stressed out breed imaginable. A Chihuahua as an "emotional support animal".

I mean, why are we allowing these people to get away with this? We need massive fines for offenders on top of new laws.

Is it because we are raising generations of self absorbed, self centered snowflakes?
No but I think my parents generation did since most people I personally see with the questionable dogs were apparently born in 66 and after. They're 30-60 years old. If the young have them it's for good reason. Epilepsy or autism- guide dogs and the like. I joked that ods got an emotional support fish for his dorm but far as I know his generation don't have the animals. Some may but I see the older folks much more.
Libbylu2
Regent
Regent

The whole concept of a dog as emotional support is ridiculous.
And other animals, too.
If you can’t deal with life without having an animal with you 24/7, you need a lot more than “ emotional support “. You need a psychiatrist and lots of treatment.
....sigh.
morgan
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Libbylu2 wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:54 pm The whole concept of a dog as emotional support is ridiculous.
And other animals, too.
If you can’t deal with life without having an animal with you 24/7, you need a lot more than “ emotional support “. You need a psychiatrist and lots of treatment.
....sigh.
I'll have to disagree and I think that statement is a very judgmental opinion. The "entire concept" is not "ridiculous". Some people DO need them. Like Vets suffering from PTSD for instance. Or children with Autism. It's been scientifically proven that dogs help them.

But it needs to be legally regulated. Right now anyone can claim any dog is their "emotional support animal" and businesses allow it because they don't want to be popped for discrimination.
KAG
Mean Girl
hockeymom87
Regent
Regent

morgan wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:50 pm
Olioxenfree wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:47 pm They are entitled to bring their emotional support animal, that is the law. One tragic incident does not change that.

Question: Do you think Emotional Support Animals co-existing in pubic places such as airports and grocery stores should have legal documentation? Or should it just be kept "on your honor" as it is now?
I think the law needs to change and that you need to show proof that the dog is trained.
morgan
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

hockeymom87 wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:04 pm

I think the law needs to change and that you need to show proof that the dog is trained.
Agree. And you need mental medical clearance from someone trained in that field to have the ID needed to bring your dog in public.
KAG
Mean Girl
Deleted User 1039

Pjmm wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:29 am This isn't funny but it reminds me of a bit college humor did with the Jurassic Park main actors. They tried to bring a support dinosaur- Blue- aboard a plane. I've gotten used to seeing dogs everywhere even my supermarket but it is getting ridiculous. They should be trained and one should have to produce papers for it. Also one should have a proper diagnosis. PTSD, autism, epilepsy, blindness, deafness. The emotional support thing is out of hand.
A while back, I was grocery shopping and a lady had a Chihuahua in the cart where babies sit. A Chihuahua wearing an emotional support vest. As it was shaking. A Chihuahua. The most stressed out breed imaginable. A Chihuahua as an "emotional support animal".

I mean, why are we allowing these people to get away with this? We need massive fines for offenders on top of new laws.
Someone had an emotional support hamster. Hamster. The airline said she couldn't take it on the flight, but she really wanted to get on her flight and not have to pay for a different one in order to figure out what to do with the oh-so-special-and-important hamster. So she flushed it, live, down the toilet at the airport. Then she tried to cry about how the airline "made" her flush her live emotional support animal down the toilet.
morgan
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

SolidlyAverage wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:13 pm

Someone had an emotional support hamster. Hamster. The airline said she couldn't take it on the flight, but she really wanted to get on her flight and not have to pay for a different one in order to figure out what to do with the oh-so-special-and-important hamster. So she flushed it, live, down the toilet at the airport. Then she tried to cry about how the airline "made" her flush her live emotional support animal down the toilet.
The human race as a whole has turned out to be a disappointing species. :? Kidding but seriously though it seems like that sometimes!
KAG
Mean Girl
HanSolo
Duchess
Duchess

SolidlyAverage wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:13 pm

:shock: :x
Libbylu2
Regent
Regent

hockeymom87 wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:04 pm

Question: Do you think Emotional Support Animals co-existing in pubic places such as airports and jgrocery stores should have legal documentation? Or should it just be kept "on your honor" as it is now?
I agree
Locked Previous topicNext topic