Different rules, different houses

Anonymous 1

Unread post

So we have 2 big dogs but we don't allow them in our bed or on the couch. Our friend has a small dog and thinks that we should allow their dog on our couch since they allow their dog on their couch. I said no. So then another friend said that our friend said that he would not be at our house very much then (with or without his dog) since his dog isn't allowed on the couch. I said okay, so??

Would you allow other animals on your couch if you didn't allow your own animals on the couch?
Shaken1976
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I don’t let people bring their pets to my home. I have a dog that is a rescue and he doesn’t do well with other dogs at all. But..my house, my rules. When kids are in my home I expect them to follow my rules. Just as I expect my kids to follow the rules in the homes of others.
https://www.vettix.org/ref/230481

If you or your spouse is a Vet, check out this link. They offer really cheap tickets to local events and concerts. I have done a lot of cool stuff through them.
Fullxbusymom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Well other animals aren't allowed in my home so all of this is a non issue for me.
famousglm714
Regent
Regent

Unread post

No, I wouldn't. I don’t mind my cats on the couch but I don’t want smaller dogs in my house at all anymore because I’ve only met a few that are actually potty trained. I don’t really do the ill behaved animal thing. It annoys me. I’d just be like good then, don’t come over, lol. I don’t really want to entertain people anyway.
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Idk, it depends if I wanted to see this person in my life.

I have let other children have different rules than my children based on hospitality, and feeling like a good hostess, so letting them have sugary snacks for example or playing more video games than I would my son children.

So I might throw down a blanket and let the dog sit to be a good hostess. Maybe?
Deleted User 670

Unread post

If I had a rule of no dog on the couch then his dog wouldn't be allowed on the couch either. I'm no help though. I like doggy cuddles on the couch and kitty cuddles too. The cats are allowed on the bed. The dog sleeps in her crate at night because I still don't trust her to not get into mischief at night when we're asleep. And she likes to eat cat poop out of the litter box and it gives her the runs. And one cat will always visit one of the litter boxes during the night while we're sleeping.
LuckyEightWow
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

The only dog visitors I can have have to stay outside. Mine aren’t dog friendly so I can honestly say I have no clue what I would do.
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

We have a 65lb Golden Retriever that we have never allowed on the furniture. She knows that and she obeys.

My step-dad has a 25lb Terrier mix. When she comes over she is allowed on all our furniture and she loves curling up on the ottoman.

My reasoning for allowing it - 1. I know she's allowed at her own house and it would be difficult to train her not to at my house. She just wouldn't understand. 2. She's not here all the time so I'm fine making exceptions for her for when she is here. I believe in making my guests comfortable in my house. 3. She's little and her being on the furniture now and then has a very different impact than our big dog being on the furniture all the time. 4. My dog doesn't care. My dog doesn't think "hey, I'm not allowed, why is she allowed?"

Personally, it's not a fight worth fighting even if I did care. But that's your battle to pick.
mcginnisc
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

If you have that rule, then you have that rule. They need to respect it. End of story.
In our house, we have 2 cats and a small dog ( 20 lbs) and they all get on the furniture. They sleep with us as well. My niece's dog gets on the furniture when he is over here too. ( my cats outweight his little butt as he is only 7 lbs) That's just how we are.
Claire
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Shaken1976 wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:38 am I don’t let people bring their pets to my home. I have a dog that is a rescue and he doesn’t do well with other dogs at all. But..my house, my rules. When kids are in my home I expect them to follow my rules. Just as I expect my kids to follow the rules in the homes of others.
Except kids and dogs are different. Kids, especially once they reach school age, definitely have the mental capacity to understand different rules at different houses. Dogs don't. If I tried to tell my step-dad's dog "no furniture" just because my dog isn't allowed on the furniture, we would be spending the entire visit just chasing her off the furniture over and over again and she wouldn't understand at all why she's being chased off. How is that an enjoyable visit for anyone?
Locked Previous topicNext topic