9 year old still drinks from a bottle!!!!!

Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

LuckyEightWow wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:10 am
Traci_Momof2 wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:05 am
LuckyEightWow wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:42 am My thoughts? Weird, but not my kid. We all have some kind of vice in life, and a bottle seems pretty harmless to me.
Unless she grows up and trades the milk bottle for a whiskey bottle.

A 9yo needing a bottle to drink milk speaks to me of an unhealthy emotional attachment, and honestly I could see that all too easily turning into an unhealthy emotional attachment to alcohol.
The mom should have stopped that shit about 7 years ago. There is no need for the girl to have milk in the first place.
That is one hell of a reach, a bottle is equal to alcoholism? Common now, you can do better then that. It’s like saying a kid who is attached to their blanket is going to turn into a shopaholic or a kid who is attached to a particular stuffy is going to grow up and be a furry.

I do agree that nobody needs milk, but I think I read where the ladies doctor wants the kid to have milk in her diet so I’ll leave that up to the parent and the doctor.
Like I said, it's about the unhealthy emotional attachment. It's not about the object itself. But you take the one object of emotional attachment away, and they will transfer that attachment to another object.
Anonymous 5

Unread post

Traci_Momof2 wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:08 am
LiveWhatULove wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:55 am Like a sippy cup? My kids use sippy cups if they take a beverage out of the kitchen, which is not a lot. I do not think that is so hard on their teeth.
Except she didn't say sippy cup. She said bottle. Like a baby bottle. Those things should be completely gone by the time the child turns 24 mo.
Actually it should have been gone by 12mo's and you're reaching hard core that now she may turn into an alcoholic because of it.
Anonymous 5

Unread post

Traci_Momof2 wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:19 am
Traci_Momof2 wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:05 am

Unless she grows up and trades the milk bottle for a whiskey bottle.

A 9yo needing a bottle to drink milk speaks to me of an unhealthy emotional attachment, and honestly I could see that all too easily turning into an unhealthy emotional attachment to alcohol.
The mom should have stopped that shit about 7 years ago. There is no need for the girl to have milk in the first place.
That is one hell of a reach, a bottle is equal to alcoholism? Common now, you can do better then that. It’s like saying a kid who is attached to their blanket is going to turn into a shopaholic or a kid who is attached to a particular stuffy is going to grow up and be a furry.

I do agree that nobody needs milk, but I think I read where the ladies doctor wants the kid to have milk in her diet so I’ll leave that up to the parent and the doctor.
Like I said, it's about the unhealthy emotional attachment. It's not about the object itself. But you take the one object of emotional attachment away, and they will transfer that attachment to another object.
Emotional attachments aren't a horrible thing though. My kids still have blankies and stuffed animals that they have had since they were little and yes, they still sleep with them 22yr old has his purkle guy pillow, my 12yr old has his blankie and my 7yr old has his chase stuffed animal. I am in my 40's and still have my beloved stuffed bear.
Anonymous 6

Unread post

Anonymous 2 wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:42 am I had a bottle until I was 7 because my Mother is a psycho and made me. My teeth are absolutely jacked because of it.
Are they still jacked as a adult?
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I wouldn't let any child bring a bottle to bed, no matter what their age is. That kid's teeth must be rotting out of her skull.
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 5 wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:20 pm

Emotional attachments aren't a horrible thing though. My kids still have blankies and stuffed animals that they have had since they were little and yes, they still sleep with them 22yr old has his purkle guy pillow, my 12yr old has his blankie and my 7yr old has his chase stuffed animal. I am in my 40's and still have my beloved stuffed bear.
ARe your kids unable to sleep over at someone's house without their blankie and stuffed pillows? Can you not sleep without your bear? There is a difference between keeping something for sentimental purposes and having an emotional need for it.
cellomom26
Regent
Regent

Unread post

This woman needs to be a parent. That means helping your child transition to the next developmental stage. Often that is not easy, but kids adjust to changes and growing up.

If I had waited until my kid grew out of wanting his pacifier, he'd be taking it to middle school with him.
LuckyEightWow
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Olioxenfree wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:33 pm

ARe your kids unable to sleep over at someone's house without their blankie and stuffed pillows? Can you not sleep without your bear? There is a difference between keeping something for sentimental purposes and having an emotional need for it.
Plenty of children/adults have attachments to certain things. That is not a negative nor does it indicate some kind of future addiction, or problem. An attachment is only a problem if it effects multiple aspects of a persons life.

Who cares if someone needs to sleep with something, or carry something around. As long as they can function on a daily bases there is no harm.
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

LuckyEightWow wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:57 pm

Plenty of children/adults have attachments to certain things. That is not a negative nor does it indicate some kind of future addiction, or problem. An attachment is only a problem if it effects multiple aspects of a persons life.

Who cares if someone needs to sleep with something, or carry something around. As long as they can function on a daily bases there is no harm.
If a teen or adult needs to carry around a stuffed animal or have it to sleep with in order to function, that is not healthy.
LuckyEightWow
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Olioxenfree wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:27 pm
LuckyEightWow wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:57 pm

If a teen or adult needs to carry around a stuffed animal or have it to sleep with in order to function, that is not healthy.
Scientifically speaking, you are wrong. There is nothing wrong with adults who hold on to their transitional items into adulthood.

It’s simply about comfort and people find comfort in many things. It can be as simple as their morning cup of coffee, to sleeping with a particular item. It’s literally the same thing, and research has found that there is no harm in it nor is it unhealthy.
Locked Previous topicNext topic