Curious what you guys think about this

Anonymous 1

Unread post

The couple across the street wanted to adopt out of foster care. They are loving people and have 1 son but could not get pregnant again. When they started the process there were many hoops they had to jump through of course. One of the hoops is they had to get rid of their dog. Social services would not allow the child to be placed in a home with a dog. (Dog was a medium/large lab/beagle mix type) Anyway, the couple did get rid of the dog in order to place the boy in their home. This was a few years ago and they have since fully adopted the boy and everyone is happy. Would you have done the same?
Anonymous 1

Unread post

And just another interesting fact the Mom was a SAHM to the older boy at that time-he was like 10. They made her enroll in classes to prove she was working towards something. The husband could fully support everyone but this was not good enough. She did enroll in school and went during the process but when the adoption was finalized she never stepped foot in class again and resumed being a SAHM.
mcginnisc
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I have never heard of DCS requiring foster parents get rid of pets. I know a ton of people that fostered, fostered and adopted, and just adopted and none of them had to rehome their dogs or cats.
We did not adopt from foster care, but all our social worker did was meet our dogs, check their vet records and record it in the paperwork. I cannot fathom rehoming my pets in order to foster...especially when reunification of the biological family is the goal so it is normally temporary. I would not rehome my dog or cats for a temp placement.
Claire
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Idk why they had to get rid of the dog but I've no opinion on it. I would have seen of a family member could have kept it until the adoption was final. If not then they did what they had to
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

mcginnisc wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:50 am I have never heard of DCS requiring foster parents get tid of pets. I know a ton of people that fostered, fostered and adopted, and just adopted and none of them had to rehome their dogs or cats.
We did not adopt from foster care, but all our social worker did was meet our dogs, check their vet records and record it in the paperwork. I cannot fathom rehoming my pets in order to foster...especially when reunification of the biological family is the goal so it is normally temporary. I would not rehome my dog or cats for a temp placement.
Also never heard of either of these "conditions" for foster care placement, and I know many people who have fostered and some that went on to adopt.

OP - is this a State requirement where you live? Or is this some type of private adoption agency rule?
Anonymous 1

Unread post

MonarchMom wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:01 am
mcginnisc wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:50 am I have never heard of DCS requiring foster parents get tid of pets. I know a ton of people that fostered, fostered and adopted, and just adopted and none of them had to rehome their dogs or cats.
Also never heard of either of these "conditions" for foster care placement, and I know many people who have fostered and some that went on to adopt.

OP - is this a State requirement where you live? Or is this some type of private adoption agency rule?
They definately adopted through the state of North Carolina through the foster care system. They boy was about 3 at the time. He is now 6.
famousglm714
Regent
Regent

Unread post

No. I wouldn’t give up my cats for anyone. I guess if I really wanted to adopt my answer would be different.
Aletheia
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:45 am Social services would not allow the child to be placed in a home with a dog.
Was it a condition specific to the particular child they wanted to adopt?

If the child was allergic to or phobic about dogs, that seems pretty reasonable.
EarlGrayHot
Regent
Regent

Unread post

No. I would never get rid of a pet because I had made a promise to that pet when I adopted it. Not only is it stupid to demand that but I wouldn't allow a child to go to someone who would abandon an animal. They are not loyal enough to adopt a child.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

I don't see where that is a requirement at all, can you provide a link that states this?

https://adoptionnetwork.com/homestudy-r ... s-by-state
Locked Previous topicNext topic