We aren't wrong for wanting a puppy for once!

Anonymous 1

Unread post

I am firm believer in adopting pets. My last dog was adopted after he was thrown in a dumpster with his liter mates after his mother died.

But the humane society wouldn't let us have him until he was neutered and the earliest was six months old and by then he was out of his puppy phase. All of the shelters are all like that so you will never adopt a puppy.

My dh and I have never had a puppy experience. We see all these videos online of people playing with their puppies and we never got that. So we decided our next pet WILL BE a puppy.

For once we want a dog from start to finish. Not half way through.

But now we are being told we are horrible for not adopting instead. I have always adopted but they don't adopt out puppies. And that is something we want to experience. Having a dog from start to finish.

Is it really that bad for wanting a puppy for once?
Smarties
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Puppies are wonderful. Hope you find one to love.
RedBottoms

Unread post

As the owner of a pure breed champion bloodline Bichon Frise I got as a tiny puppy from a reputable breeder-no you are not wrong
Anonymous 2

Unread post

Why are listening to anyone that spews that bs?
We have bought puppies, adopted from shelters and been given dogs by friends. I cant recall anyone saying anything about how we obtained the dogs.
Just tell them to mind their own business or better yet, keep your personal business to yourself.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Anonymous 2 wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:23 pm Why are listening to anyone that spews that bs?
We have bought puppies, adopted from shelters and been given dogs by friends. I cant recall anyone saying anything about how we obtained the dogs.
Just tell them to mind their own business or better yet, keep your personal business to yourself.
We did keep our personal business to ourselves. But my cousin saw me talking to a breeder on Facebook and started blasting me about how I should adopt and how their are thousands of dogs wanting to be adopted and I am selfish. And then you well you know how fast the family gossip can go.
Deleted User 670

Unread post

Puppies have a short window of socialization from about 8-11 weeks (typical for weaning and leaving the litter) to about 16 weeks or 4 months. So the shelters are doing a huge disservice to the animals by not allowing them to be adopted out earlier. I'm sure the shelters can't possibly properly socialize all puppies before adopting out.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:32 pm
Anonymous 2 wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:23 pm Why are listening to anyone that spews that bs?
We did keep our personal business to ourselves. But my cousin saw me talking to a breeder on Facebook and started blasting me about how I should adopt and how their are thousands of dogs wanting to be adopted and I am selfish. And then you well you know how fast the family gossip can go.
Block him or her for being a nosy jerk. I hope you find a puppy to love
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

We got our dog from a reputable breeder. She's a purebred Golden Retriever that we brought home at 12 weeks old. She has been a wonderful dog.

If you want a puppy, get a puppy. Don't listen to others.

And personally, if I had family blasting me on FB I wouldn't even think twice about blocking them or unfriending them. FB just isn't that important to put up with that shit.
JulesFairy
Baroness
Baroness

Unread post

While I don't think you are wrong for wanting a 6 week old/ 8 week old puppy, I want to clarify that all the puppies I have had still have puppy tendencies at 6 months. They are still playful, unaware of their size, chewy, etc. So you are signing on for a longer duration of that stuff as well as wobbly little fatness and the sleepy faces.
cellomom26
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Of course you aren't wrong, you should get exactly the dog/puppy you want.

Tell the jerks judging you that you are sure they will adopt all the older dogs. After all, they are so invested in them, and surely they aren't hypocrites, right?
Locked Previous topicNext topic