lunarprancer
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Man sentenced to death in 'evil' torture killing of 8-year-old boy

CNN Updated: 6:33 PM EDT Jun 7, 2018
By Web Staff

Palmdale, CA —
The mother of an 8-year-old Palmdale boy who died after being tortured was sentenced to life in prison Thursday, while her boyfriend was sentenced to death, marking the end of a high-profile trial that drew attention to severe flaws in L.A. County's child welfare system.

During the sentencing in downtown L.A., the judge said the 2013 killing of Gabriel Fernandez was "worse than animalistic," because "even animals know how to take care of their young."

Advertisement
"In my almost 20 years on the bench in this court, this case is without a doubt the most aggravated and egregious case this court has ever witnessed," Los Angeles Superior Court Judge George Lomeli said.

The boy's mother, Pearl Fernandez, 34, in February had pleaded guilty to one count of first-degree murder and admitted the special circumstance allegation of intentional murder by torture. Her sentence comes without the possibility of parole.

Fernandez's boyfriend, Isauro Aguirre, was convicted of first-degree murder Nov. 15 and a jury found true the allegation that the defendant tortured the victim.

Gabriel was taken to a hospital in May 2013 when he stopped breathing. He had a cracked skull and broken ribs, with B.B. pellets in his lung and groin. He was declared brain dead and died two days later.

The prosecutor in Aguirre's case, Deputy District Attorney Jon Hatami, argued that Aguirre systematically abused and tortured Gabriel for months because he thought the boy was gay.

Hatami argued that Aguirre and Fernandez worked to keep their treatment of Gabriel hidden by using makeup to cover up his bruises. They exchanged text messages where they discussed how they put him in ice water.

The prosecutor called Aguirre "evil."

In a news release, District Attorney Jackie Lacey said the case will stay in the mind of the public for a long time.

"This case showed how evil can not only inflict lasting damage to those who loved Gabriel but our society as well," Lacey said. "The horrific nature of Gabriel's abuse and murder has been seared into our minds and the defendants will now spend the rest of their lives in prison for their reprehensible actions."

After the sentencing, Hatami said he hopes the verdicts bring "some sense of justice" to Gabriel's family.

"I'm just doing my job, that's it," Hatami said, tearing up. The prosecutor has two young children and has said that the case hit close to home.

The case led to child welfare reforms in L.A. County, and four social workers who were assigned to Gabriel's case were accused of negligence in connection with the boy's death. They have been criminally charged.

In an impact statement delivered before the sentencing, Gabriel's family members told Fernandez that her actions changed her and her family's life forever.

"After five long, heartbreaking years, it's finally over," the family member said. "Your sentence will be handed down as you hear your jail cell slam."

One of Gabriel's teachers said that she still lives with guilt after Gabriel's death and wishes she could have done more to prevent it.

"I go back and forth between sadness and guilt and anger, and no matter what, I can't bring him back," Jennifer Garcia said. She said she understands the defendants are the ones to blame for Gabriel's death.

"I hope they face same abuse in their lifetime or worse. ... They are evil people," Garcia said, referring to Fernandez and Aguirre.

Fernandez herself spoke briefly before the sentencing. In a prepared statement, she said she was sorry.

"Every day, I wish I made better choices," Fernandez said. "I wish I could have saved Gabriel."
Danesmommy1
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

His death won't be gruesome enough, imo.
She is too fond of books and it has turned her brain.
Ivegotrhythm
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

OMG, this breaks my heart.

I don't even have words for what I wish upon his mother and her boyfriend.
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I was reading that this afternoon and thought it was a matter of time before you posted it :D
This is one of the most disgusting things I’ve read. I’m glad that POS will die for it, I’m just pissed that that sorry excuse for a “mother” isn’t joining the sicko. It’s sickening that she’ll just spend the rest of her life in prison, with 3 free meals a day, medical care, leisure activities and no one will torture HER because that would be “inhumane”... So her “punishment” is a cushy life. Disgusting.
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
Bring Them Home
MistressMonster
Sour Grapes
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I think they both should suffer the same fate as what they did to that poor boy. This hurts my heart what happened to him.

ETA: The bitch btw is just sorry she got caught. If she really cared, she would have never allowed this to happen.
The oranges of the island are like blazing fire
Amongst the emerald boughs
And the lemons are like the paleness of a lover
Who has spent the night crying.

My soul was ripped to shreds on 10/27/14
Cheerioholder
Baroness
Baroness

Unread post

I just can't help but look at my own children and feel such sorrow for children who are born with no chance at life. I don't understand it. I look at my kids and think "they are everything" ... How can anyone hurt a child, especially their own. I just don't get it.

Evil was the right word.
Foreverme123
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

This is why I say no one should ever be too good for a taste of their own medicine. I'd take my own 10 times over if worthless creatures who do that could get theirs back, too.
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I agree. Her lawyer probably told her to plead guilty because otherwise, she’s dead. And now she gets to live forever on taxpayers dollars, never going hungry or lacking medical care. So her “punishment” is a cushy life, much more easier than anything she could aspire to. Sickening.
IMHO, that bitch deserves a worst punishment than he does. Because she was supposed to love that child and to want nothing more than to protect him. He couldn’t care less. But she? She was supposed to put her life on the line for her son and she didn’t.
MistressMonster wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:45 pm I think they both should suffer the same fate as what they did to that poor boy. This hurts my heart what happened to him.

ETA: The bitch btw is just sorry she got caught. If she really cared, she would have never allowed this to happen.
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
Bring Them Home
eyes4ears
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Very disturbing.
CrazyJenn
Donated
Donated
Duchess
Duchess