As Trump airs his election doubts, many supporters say they won't accept a Biden win in 2024

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Della wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 11:21 am
Slimshandy wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 8:26 am
Della wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 8:15 am

Spin is what Trump does every day and you eat it up 😂😂😂
Realize-

This is the response you give seconds after trying to spin reality…

It can’t be a surprise to anyone why less and less people care…
The man is literally telling you what he wants to do and now he's learned the ropes of government. And you're fine with it because...you "just don’t think Trump is going to challenge that for me."

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-67272569
What is written in that article that you would think I would have a problem with?

Some of his pronouncements border on the fantastical. His government will invest in flying cars and build "freedom cities" on empty federal land, where Americans can live and work without burdensome regulations.
Others are controversial, such as his plan to round up the homeless and move them to tent camps outside US cities until their "problems can be identified". Some lean directly into the culture wars - he wants state school teachers to be required to "embrace patriotic values".
He also doubles-down on protectionist policies, calling for a "universal baseline tariff" on all imports, which can be raised on countries that engage in "unfair" trade practices.

On immigration, he wants to reinstate the policy of making undocumented migrants stay in Mexico while they apply for asylum. He also calls for an end to automatic citizenship for the children of undocumented migrants born on US soil.
He pledges to cut "hundreds of billions" of dollars in US international aid and end the war in Ukraine in the process. According to media reports, he is contemplating a US withdrawal from Nato or, at the very least, scaling back American involvement with the trans-Atlantic defence pact.
"The greatest threat to Western civilisation today is not Russia," he says in a March video. "It's probably, more than anything else, ourselves and some of the horrible, USA-hating people that represent us."

According to Mr Lotter, the top issue on Mr Trump's 2024 agenda will be energy - increasing supply to bring down household bills.
In his view, higher energy prices have been a driving force behind the inflation that bedevilled the early years of the Biden presidency.
"Opening up the spigots and sending the signal to the markets and to the energy companies that we are open for business again will actually start to lower energy prices long term

The only thing I can see taking issue with is that if you’re born on American soil, you’re American… everything else, fine…
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 11:37 am
WellPreserved wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 11:20 am
Slimshandy wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 10:20 am

Biden just lied to the the entire country by saying interest rates were at 9% right before he took office…

Were you saying that was a dictator-y thing to do?

https://nypost.com/2024/05/08/us-news/b ... s-1-4/amp/
That's not either "dictator-y" or authoritarian. If Biden doubled down and said his claim was accurate but that the Bureau of Labor Statistics was infiltrated by Republican plants who were cooking the books and publishing inaccurate inflation rates to make him look bad and he was backed up by the liberal media as well as democrats in Congress, then maybe that could be seen as authoritarian.

As it was, he stated it in a media interview and was fact checked by multiple outlets. No one believes, even die hard Biden supporters, that the inflation rate was 9% when he took office when the monthly rate of inflation is available for anyone who cares to look. I don't see Biden claiming that those published rates are inaccurate and part of a GOP conspiracy, lol.
Ahh…

So it’s only authoritarianism of he blames someone else for his lies…. Merely lying to the public is just par for the course, right?
No.

Here is a wiki definition of authoritarianism:

"Authoritarianism is a political system characterized by the rejection of democracy, and political plurality. It involves the use of strong central power to preserve the political status quo, and reductions in the rule of law, separation of powers, and democratic voting."

Lying, misstating, forgetting, whatever you want to call it about inflation rates in an interview is not authoritarianism. Lying about the results of an election and challenging the peaceful transfer of power is. Increasing the powers of the executive branch to ensure a political party's dominance is. Suppressing the vote is.

You are really reaching to find an equivalency between the Trump administration and Biden administration but there just isn't one. My question to you is why? Many of the things you advocate for in other posts will be harmed by a Trump administration (farmers, abortion rights, sports, funding for college, etc). Why do you feel that it won't be "bad"? It seems as if you are just trying to be argumentative or that you were disingenuous in your advocacy in previous posts. Which is it?
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 11:54 am
WellPreserved wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 11:20 am

That's not either "dictator-y" or authoritarian. If Biden doubled down and said his claim was accurate but that the Bureau of Labor Statistics was infiltrated by Republican plants who were cooking the books and publishing inaccurate inflation rates to make him look bad and he was backed up by the liberal media as well as democrats in Congress, then maybe that could be seen as authoritarian.

As it was, he stated it in a media interview and was fact checked by multiple outlets. No one believes, even die hard Biden supporters, that the inflation rate was 9% when he took office when the monthly rate of inflation is available for anyone who cares to look. I don't see Biden claiming that those published rates are inaccurate and part of a GOP conspiracy, lol.
Ahh…

So it’s only authoritarianism of he blames someone else for his lies…. Merely lying to the public is just par for the course, right?
No.

"Authoritarianism is a political system characterized by the rejection of democracy, and political plurality. It involves the use of strong central power to preserve the political status quo, and reductions in the rule of law, separation of powers, and democratic voting."

Lying, misstating, forgetting, whatever you want to call it about inflation rates in an interview is not authoritarianism. Lying about the results of an election and challenging the peaceful transfer of power is. Increasing the powers of the executive branch to ensure a political party's dominance is. Suppressing the vote is.

You are really reaching to find an equivalency between the Trump administration and Biden administration but there just isn't one. My question to you is why? Many of the things you advocate for in other posts will be harmed by a Trump administration (farmers, abortion rights, sports, funding for college, etc). Why do you feel that it won't be "bad"? It seems as if you are just trying to be argumentative or that you were disingenuous in your advocacy in previous posts. Which is it?
I’m not…

I’m showing you why I don’t care…

Sally said the beginning of trump’s dictatorship was him lying about the crowd size at his inauguration… I don’t see it that way.

You guys think lying to the public is absolutely wrong if trump says it, but completely forgivable of Biden does it..,

That’s a lot more disingenuous…

I don’t think he’ll be bad for farmers, I don’t think he’ll be bad for sports… abortion rights are horrible right now, and Trump just said he wouldn’t sign a national ban… so states have to decide, and while I hate the decision some states made, that’s what democracy is. You don’t always get your way, and if you want to live in a state that allows abortions, do it.

As I’ve said 1000x , I’m not voting for Trump, I’m voting for RFK, but if him and Biden lose, I don’t care that much… Trump it is for the next four years…
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 11:40 am
Slimshandy wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 8:26 am

Realize-

This is the response you give seconds after trying to spin reality…

It can’t be a surprise to anyone why less and less people care…
The man is literally telling you what he wants to do and now he's learned the ropes of government. And you're fine with it because...you "just don’t think Trump is going to challenge that for me."

What is written in that article that you would think I would have a problem with?

Some of his pronouncements border on the fantastical. His government will invest in flying cars and build "freedom cities" on empty federal land, where Americans can live and work without burdensome regulations.
Others are controversial, such as his plan to round up the homeless and move them to tent camps outside US cities until their "problems can be identified". Some lean directly into the culture wars - he wants state school teachers to be required to "embrace patriotic values".
He also doubles-down on protectionist policies, calling for a "universal baseline tariff" on all imports, which can be raised on countries that engage in "unfair" trade practices.

On immigration, he wants to reinstate the policy of making undocumented migrants stay in Mexico while they apply for asylum. He also calls for an end to automatic citizenship for the children of undocumented migrants born on US soil.
He pledges to cut "hundreds of billions" of dollars in US international aid and end the war in Ukraine in the process. According to media reports, he is contemplating a US withdrawal from Nato or, at the very least, scaling back American involvement with the trans-Atlantic defence pact.
"The greatest threat to Western civilisation today is not Russia," he says in a March video. "It's probably, more than anything else, ourselves and some of the horrible, USA-hating people that represent us."

According to Mr Lotter, the top issue on Mr Trump's 2024 agenda will be energy - increasing supply to bring down household bills.
In his view, higher energy prices have been a driving force behind the inflation that bedevilled the early years of the Biden presidency.
"Opening up the spigots and sending the signal to the markets and to the energy companies that we are open for business again will actually start to lower energy prices long term

The only thing I can see taking issue with is that if you’re born on American soil, you’re American… everything else, fine…
"And you're fine with it because...you "just don’t think Trump is going to challenge that for me.""
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Della wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 12:05 pm

"And you're fine with it because...you "just don’t think Trump is going to challenge that for me.""
Again… which part do you think I would have a problem with?
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 12:06 pm

I said you were fine with it. You're a patriot. This new party represents your interests. What's left to say?
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Della wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 12:09 pm
Slimshandy wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 12:06 pm

I said you were fine with it. You're a patriot. This new party represents your interests. What's left to say?
Que sera sera…
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 12:03 pm

Ahh…

No.

I’m not…

Sally said the beginning of trump’s dictatorship was him lying about the crowd size at his inauguration… I don’t see it that way.

You guys think lying to the public is absolutely wrong if trump says it, but completely forgivable of Biden does it..,

I don’t think he’ll be bad for farmers, I don’t think he’ll be bad for sports… abortion rights are horrible right now, and Trump just said he wouldn’t sign a national ban… so states have to decide, and while I hate the decision some states made, that’s what democracy is. You don’t always get your way, and if you want to live in a state that allows abortions, do it.

As I’ve said 1000x , I’m not voting for Trump, I’m voting for RFK, but if him and Biden lose, I don’t care that much… Trump it is for the next four years…
okay. I think eliminating subsidies for farmers is going to dramatically hurt small independent farmers while boosting revenue for corporate farming. I think eliminating federal funding for public schools while at the same time allowing vouchers for school choice is going to adversely affect sports in public schools - school boards, especially in underserved communities are going to have to restructure their budgets and sports, especially women's sports are going to be the second to go (art and music were already the first). Yes, Trump said he would leave it to the states and he angered many conservatives. Should we believe when he says or what is laid out in the GOP plan for a Republican presidency? There were several posts where you railed on child labor law violations (as you should). I think eliminating those protections will harm kids. You posted about the racist bill in Oklahoma targeting (and racially profiling) Mexicans for deportation. This would be federal policy under Trump.

I also think Trump was testing authoritarian waters with his lying about inauguration crowd. The lies aren't what matter it's what you can get your supporters to believe, even when the lie is obvious and Trump supporters believed his lies hook line and sinker. As he stated, "I could shoot someone and wouldn't lose any voters". This is also what he's arguing SCOTUS with absolute presidential immunity, where his lawyers have argued that he would have immunity from assassinating political rivals (hypothetically of course). This is authoritarianism.

I know you're not voting for Trump or Biden but voting for RFK as you've repeated many times. Living in a hard red state like Arkansas, your vote doesn't matter and honestly, being a white married woman in Arkansas, you probably wouldn't be adversely affected by a Trump presidency so don't really care. Others on this site do care as some see beyond their bubble.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
SallyMae
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 12:03 pm I’m not…I’m showing you why I don’t care…

No, Wells is right, it's not the lying, it's insisting that the lie is the truth in the face of all fact checking and reality to the contrary that is authoritarian. That's the difference.

We are not going to get a politician who never lies, but we do have one option that is not authoritarian. Trump wants to make the president above the law. That is some dictator-y shit you should definitely care about.

Don't take my word for it. I'd urge you to please study authoritarianism, and you will see for yourself why Trump and current Republican party fit that definition while Biden and the Democrats don't. We can handle another lying politician without losing democracy. But once people enable authoritarianism, they give up the tools to get rid of it. What then?
Francee89
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 12:03 pm

Ahh…

No.

I’m not…

Trump wouldn’t need to sign a national abortion ban to restrict abortion even further nationwide. His political appointees, the judges he appoints and his administration could restrict the ability to access abortion medication via mail by enforcing the Comstock Act or reverse FDA approval of it altogether, among other actions: https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/trump- ... on-access/. He was also open to a national ban while President. Why would his statement now, trying to get elected, be more believable than what he said he was willing to do while in power last time?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic