Pennsylvania school.district tells parents either pay tour child's lunch debt or risk loosi g your children

Anonymous 6

Unread post

Our school was having a problem with kids buying extras without the parents knowing and not being alerted they were low on money until they owed 75. Now parents get alerts before they owe and they can say no extras. Lunch costs 3.75 then you have the extras there are about 15 that cost 1. My daughter packs her lunch and I will say I work at her school as a substitute and was shocked at how little food for 3.75 they got and it was no wonder kids were getting extras they were still hungry.
Anonymous 7

Unread post

[quote="Anonymous 6" post_id=507991 time=1564061517]
Our school was having a problem with kids buying extras without the parents knowing and not being alerted they were low on money until they owed 75. Now parents get alerts before they owe and they can say no extras. Lunch costs 3.75 then you have the extras there are about 15 that cost 1. My daughter packs her lunch and I will say I work at her school as a substitute and was shocked at how little food for 3.75 they got and it was no wonder kids were getting extras they were still hungry.
[/quo

Im sure its plenty, Americans always want huge portions. Thats why so many are so obese.
Anonymous 7

Unread post

agander2017 wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:38 am Instead of a letter threatening to take the kids away, maybe they should send a letter asking if they need help with the lunches...
what do you think free or reduced lunch is?
Anonymous 2

Unread post

Anonymous 7 wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:32 am
Anonymous 6 wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:31 am Our school was having a problem with kids buying extras without the parents knowing and not being alerted they were low on money until they owed 75. Now parents get alerts before they owe and they can say no extras. Lunch costs 3.75 then you have the extras there are about 15 that cost 1. My daughter packs her lunch and I will say I work at her school as a substitute and was shocked at how little food for 3.75 they got and it was no wonder kids were getting extras they were still hungry.
[/quo

Im sure its plenty, Americans always want huge portions. Thats why so many are so obese.

All Americans do not always want huge portions. That's a stereotype. I've seen the portions they serve in the lunch line at my daughter's school. My thin daughter would still be hungry most days if she ate school lunches. Inadequate portion sizes and crap food are why she takes her lunch to school.

There's another thing to remember about portion sizes in school lunches. The sad fact is that breakfast and lunch at school are the only reluable source of food many children have. People wanting to downsize school lunches often fail to realize that.
Anonymous 6

Unread post

Anonymous 7 wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:32 am
Anonymous 6 wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:31 am Our school was having a problem with kids buying extras without the parents knowing and not being alerted they were low on money until they owed 75. Now parents get alerts before they owe and they can say no extras. Lunch costs 3.75 then you have the extras there are about 15 that cost 1. My daughter packs her lunch and I will say I work at her school as a substitute and was shocked at how little food for 3.75 they got and it was no wonder kids were getting extras they were still hungry.
[/quo

That's the problem the food isn't very healthy so they scale the portions down instead of making normal portions of healthy food. It's why my daughter brings her lunch. Chicken nuggets, burgers, pizza it's all junk foods. Plus at 3.75 for 3 chicken nuggets, a handful of fries, and a fruit cup loaded with sugar is crazy expensive.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

I agree with you 100%.
CherryTreez wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:33 am
Anonymous 1 wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:02 pm Our school district used to give the cheese sandwich to kids who had no money until parents complained that it was "shaming the kids." So...the cheese sandwich thing was done away with.
I honestly don't know what they do now if the kid has no money or an outstanding balance. :shock:
CherryTreez wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:10 am Our last school district stopped allowing charging for lunches. No money means that you get a cheese sandwhich and a water bottle. They were going broke from unpaid lunch fees.
A kid used my son's id number to get meals. He racked up $45 before I figured it out. Ds only ever got milk. I thought we has enough money to last the year. The lunch lady said it was happening more and more. Kids stealing other kids id numbers to get better food.
I was told that our district lost 45,000 on unpaid lunch fees. It was crazy to me. I make sure my kids have money in their accounts. Its my job to feed them. I don't understand not making sure your kid has food. Pack a lunch if you can't do hot lunch.
agander2017
Monkey's Mama
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Anonymous 7 wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:35 am
agander2017 wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:38 am Instead of a letter threatening to take the kids away, maybe they should send a letter asking if they need help with the lunches...
what do you think free or reduced lunch is?
Yes, I know what it is. Clearly they need the free lunch if they can't afford any of it. So sending a letter telling them they will lose their child wasn't the right option.

agander2017
Monkey's Mama
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Valentina327 wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:28 am
Or a letter telling the parents to get off their dead ass in the morning and pack their child a lunch, since they clearly can't afford to eat out every day.

Since when is it a bunch of stranger's responsibility to make sure your child eats? When did this happen?
I'm just concerned that the child isn't eating. Maybe they can't afford to pay for lunches they can make at home. We don't know. I would pay for a child to eat, instead of letting him or her go hungry.

Anonymous 11

Unread post

The school’s need to not allow accounts to get SOO negative. Here, after 3 free meals students get jelly sandwiches until accounts are paid. No one’s account goes higher than $10 without payment. Students simply aren’t given hot lunch.

If a parent wants to be that much of an asshole and allow their kids to eat the same jelly sandwich everyday, I suppose they can.
cellomom26
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Valentina327 wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:28 am
Or a letter telling the parents to get off their dead ass in the morning and pack their child a lunch, since they clearly can't afford to eat out every day.

Since when is it a bunch of stranger's responsibility to make sure your child eats? When did this happen?
I wish I could like your comment a million times!

Who knew that being a parent would involve paying for your kid's food, from your paycheck? 🙄

People used to be too hardworking and too proud to accept charity. Now some love to beg for things they do not deserve.
Locked Previous topicNext topic