House votes to raise minimum wage...

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Deleted User 1344

Unread post

Lemons wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:24 pm
hockeymom87 wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:18 pm
Lemons wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:54 pm

I meant single with your children. Most of us probably could as young singles. It gets harder as you get older. More health issues (you know those jobs have horrible insurance with massive deductibles).
I think that before you have kids you should be able to have a job that’s better than minimum wage. It’s not that difficult. You can start off at Walmart or McDonald’s at minimum wage but if you work hard and go beyond your duties you’ll get a promotion and a raise. You can’t support a family on minimum wage.
Promotion to what? Manager? How many managers does McDonald's need? I know a lot of people here are very judgy and to think you should have your house paid for and making $300,000 per year before you even think of having a child but that's not reality.

What is so hard about paying a living wage? If small businesses can't pay a living wage they have no business hiring anyone. If Walmart is so greedy that the Walton family needs to keep $7.5 billion dollars of the income every year maybe people should stop shopping there.
Yep
👍🏻
DSamuels
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I meant single with your children. Most of us probably could as young singles. It gets harder as you get older. More health issues (you know those jobs have horrible insurance with massive deductibles).
I think that before you have kids you should be able to have a job that’s better than minimum wage. It’s not that difficult. You can start off at Walmart or McDonald’s at minimum wage but if you work hard and go beyond your duties you’ll get a promotion and a raise. You can’t support a family on minimum wage.
Promotion to what? Manager? How many managers does McDonald's need? I know a lot of people here are very judgy and to think you should have your house paid for and making $300,000 per year before you even think of having a child but that's not reality.

What is so hard about paying a living wage? If small businesses can't pay a living wage they have no business hiring anyone. If Walmart is so greedy that the Walton family needs to keep $7.5 billion dollars of the income every year maybe people should stop shopping there.
You keep saying the Walton family is getting $7.6 billion a year. Is that actual income? Broken down to how many people, and how much does each actually receive?

Or is that profit of Walmart company? A lot of which is probably rolled over into new stores, remodels and updates of older stores, new equipment, the list goes on.

New hires usually start out around minimum wage but unless you are a total screw up you don’t stay there. There is usually a raise when you pass a probationary period, usually somewhere between 30-90 days. Then some give raises every six months, some once a year. If you’re promoted you get a raise. I was only part-time where I worked, by my choice, and I got regular raises.
Never explain - your friends do not need it and your enemies will not believe you anyway. - Elbert Hubbard

Keep up - Calm Down - Pay Attention
DSamuels
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

You’d be surprised how many mangers and assistant managers there are. Most places have at least one on duty at all times. Since most are open 7 days a week, some 24 hours, some until 11 or later. The ones that close then have to be cleaned and gotten ready for the opening crew, which can takes hours. I am guessing to keep one on duty at all times with 40 hours a week you’re going to need 5 for a 24/7 store. Some overlap for busy times and to cover vacations or sick time is needed. There are also duties the managers need to do off the floor like payroll, scheduling, etc.
Never explain - your friends do not need it and your enemies will not believe you anyway. - Elbert Hubbard

Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

DSamuels wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:37 pm

You keep saying the Walton family is getting $7.6 billion a year. Is that actual income? Broken down to how many people, and how much does each actually receive?

Or is that profit of Walmart company? A lot of which is probably rolled over into new stores, remodels and updates of older stores, new equipment, the list goes on.

New hires usually start out around minimum wage but unless you are a total screw up you don’t stay there. There is usually a raise when you pass a probationary period, usually somewhere between 30-90 days. Then some give raises every six months, some once a year. If you’re promoted you get a raise. I was only part-time where I worked, by my choice, and I got regular raises.
I explained it somewhere. The Walton's own about a little more than 50% of shares. The net income, after all expenses have been paid including payroll, including spending on new equipment, new stores, etc, was about $14 billion. This would mean the Waltons got about $7.5 billion of that. My example of their income was 2017, not sure what it is now.

They are an easy company to use as an example because they are family owned and easy to calculate. And I was using very general numbers. My point was it just isn't true in many cases that corporations can't afford better wages. That was one of the reasons they got a huge tax cut. It was supposed to trickle down.

Walmart has gotten better. One reason is Amazon is taking business from them.
29again
Regent
Regent

Unread post

DSamuels wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:49 pm

You’d be surprised how many mangers and assistant managers there are. Most places have at least one on duty at all times. Since most are open 7 days a week, some 24 hours, some until 11 or later. The ones that close then have to be cleaned and gotten ready for the opening crew, which can takes hours. I am guessing to keep one on duty at all times with 40 hours a week you’re going to need 5 for a 24/7 store. Some overlap for busy times and to cover vacations or sick time is needed. There are also duties the managers need to do off the floor like payroll, scheduling, etc.
There is normally more than one manager on each shift. They have different responsibilities.. as well as slightly different titles. There is a crew leader and a shift leader on each shift, as well as an asst manager. Then there is the general manager. Lots of management in a McD's. Both my girls got into management in different stores... it sucked, they both said.
Expand your thinking

It’s possible to disagree with an article and not respond with a personal attack you know.
Try it.
DSamuels
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

29again wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:41 pm

There is normally more than one manager on each shift. They have different responsibilities.. as well as slightly different titles. There is a crew leader and a shift leader on each shift, as well as an asst manager. Then there is the general manager. Lots of management in a McD's. Both my girls got into management in different stores... it sucked, they both said.
My daughter’s first job was McDonald’s. That’s actually where she met her husband of 20 years. Her husband’s best friend was their manager. He worked his ass off and managed several stores. I don’t know exactly what happened but he abruptly quit a couple years ago and is a manager at a different place.

DSamuels
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Lemons wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:27 pm

I explained it somewhere. The Walton's own about a little more than 50% of shares. The net income, after all expenses have been paid including payroll, including spending on new equipment, new stores, etc, was about $14 billion. This would mean the Waltons got about $7.5 billion of that. My example of their income was 2017, not sure what it is now.

They are an easy company to use as an example because they are family owned and easy to calculate. And I was using very general numbers. My point was it just isn't true in many cases that corporations can't afford better wages. That was one of the reasons they got a huge tax cut. It was supposed to trickle down.

Okay. Actually that would mean they own 51% of the stock.

This is their earnings at the end of the fiscal year. Less than 1/2 of what you’re claiming they earn.
The bulk of the family fortune -- about 1.5 billion Walmart shares -- is controlled through two holding companies, which are mostly owned by Rob, Jim and Alice Walton, the children of co-founder Sam Walton. The siblings have a combined net worth of about $141.5 billion after gaining $2.6 billion Tuesday. Other heirs, including Lukas and Christy Walton, Nancy Walton Laurie and Ann Walton Kroenke, gained a combined $676.9 million.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... t-earnings

Their net worth a year ago based on quarterly earnings was $163.2 billion. Now is $141.5 billion. They lost $22 billion somewhere. I guess that’s what happens when your net worth is on paper based on the value of the shares of stock they own.

Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

DSamuels wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:55 pm

This is their earnings at the end of the fiscal year. Less than 1/2 of what you’re claiming they earn.
The bulk of the family fortune -- about 1.5 billion Walmart shares -- is controlled through two holding companies, which are mostly owned by Rob, Jim and Alice Walton, the children of co-founder Sam Walton. The siblings have a combined net worth of about $141.5 billion after gaining $2.6 billion Tuesday. Other heirs, including Lukas and Christy Walton, Nancy Walton Laurie and Ann Walton Kroenke, gained a combined $676.9 million.

Their net worth a year ago based on quarterly earnings was $163.2 billion. Now is $141.5 billion. They lost $22 billion somewhere. I guess that’s what happens when your net worth is on paper based on the value of the shares of stock they own.
I accounted for the fact that own a little more than half. Their net worth is $163 billion dollars. They are an aging family. Are they planning on taking their money will them?

According to Forbes Magazine
Bill Gates and Warren Buffett have given 36.2% and 26.9% of their respective wealth to charitable causes, the Walmart heirs have between them given 0.04% of their fortune, per the report.

Meanwhile, the average middle class earner with a salary of $50,000 to $99,000 contributes 6% of their discretionary income to charity, says the report, basing this figure on data from The Chronicle of Philanthropy.
They have amassed $163 billion dollars by underpaying their employees, only allowing part-time help whenever possible, assisting employees on how to apply for government benefits as people whose salaries are below the poverty line.

They aren't good people and they have their employees believing they should be grateful that they make $18 per hour after five years.
29again
Regent
Regent

Unread post

DSamuels wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:54 pm
29again wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:41 pm

My daughter’s first job was McDonald’s. That’s actually where she met her husband of 20 years. Her husband’s best friend was their manager. He worked his ass off and managed several stores. I don’t know exactly what happened but he abruptly quit a couple years ago and is a manager at a different place.
LOL, my oldest met her now-husband working at McD's, too!
Expand your thinking

It’s possible to disagree with an article and not respond with a personal attack you know.
Try it.
29again
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Lemons wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:09 pm
DSamuels wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:55 pm

I accounted for the fact that own a little more than half. Their net worth is $163 billion dollars. They are an aging family. Are they planning on taking their money will them?

According to Forbes Magazine
Bill Gates and Warren Buffett have given 36.2% and 26.9% of their respective wealth to charitable causes, the Walmart heirs have between them given 0.04% of their fortune, per the report.

Meanwhile, the average middle class earner with a salary of $50,000 to $99,000 contributes 6% of their discretionary income to charity, says the report, basing this figure on data from The Chronicle of Philanthropy.
They have amassed $163 billion dollars by underpaying their employees, only allowing part-time help whenever possible, assisting employees on how to apply for government benefits as people whose salaries are below the poverty line.

They aren't good people and they have their employees believing they should be grateful that they make $18 per hour after five years.
How much do you think a cashier or stocker should earn? Seriously, $18/hr sounds like a lot for those jobs!! It does sound like manager pay, though...
Expand your thinking

Try it.
Locked Previous topicNext topic