I told DD if she doesnt go to school she will have to move out

madfoodie
Sparkles the Elf
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I actually have the same rule. You just cannot get a good job without further education. I'm encouraging my oldest to go to trade school or start at cc.
I dint necessaraly think you need a traditional education. You can do trade school or apprenticeship.
i want candy!

Unread post

sheramom4 wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:11 pm
Guest wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:57 pm
JustAnotherBroad wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:39 pm

Passing an entrance exam yes. Having a college credit taking a class? No. If your child can't pass an entrance exam to get into that sort of program without taking a college class...I question the level of education your high school provided.
I think I finally figured out how to post a picture.

Untitled.png
Yes. That says assessment not course, which is what I said. Anyone who has a general high school diploma should be able to pass the assessment.
The READING is as assessment. The math and english are not.

Go back and look at it. It is pretty simple to understand.
JustAnotherBroad

Unread post

Guest wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:06 pm
JustAnotherBroad wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:03 pm
Guest wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:02 pm I dont feel comfortable saying where I live. I am in the us in the south west.
Fair enough. But that is NOT a common requirement.

It is for all schools in the area. So like I originally said. If she truly doesnt know what she wants to do she can always take a math and english class online and work and live at home. That would give her at least 6 months to figure it out. After that she should at least be able to figure out some classes she wants to take. A few elective next semester could help direct her.

We are paying for her schooling 100% so if she wants to take a bunch of classes to feel around for what she likes that is okay. She just needs to be getting some sort of education if she wants to live at home.
I stand corrected on that specific example. However, there are plenty of other jobs and licenses that don't have those requirements. Therefore, it could still be a complete waste of tine and money. Time that could be spent gaining experience and life skills from a full time job she clearly enjoys.

But anyway, like I said. You do you. I would never make such a requirement for my kids but every parent obviously has different values.
RedBottoms

Unread post

If a kid wants a gap year why is that on their parents to fund it though?
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

sheramom4 wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:54 pm
LiveWhatULove wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:18 pm I hope everything works out.

I did recently read an article that a gap year of working full-time or other activity was helpful for many students and when they finally went to college, There were higher rates of success for that group than those kids that went straight from HS.
My older two have each taken a gap year. It's common in most other parts of the world. DD even graduated Valedictorian and is finishing up her gap year now. She works full time, is in a serious relationship, and spent time hanging out with her younger sisters and volunteering as well. She also spent a lot of time honing her photography skills. She is far from lazy, she just needed a break after working so hard in high school.
The article certainly changed my mind. I was always under the impression, that once the momentum of school was over, people tended not to go back if they took a break, but the ones they studied definitely did.

Best of luck to your DD too.
Deleted User 66

Unread post

luvthagirl wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:21 pm
SmurfyTime wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:51 pm I think you are being too harsh. I'm all about furthering your education but if she doesn't know what she wants I think working full time is ok. It's hard at 18 to know what you want to do with your life.
She can spend 2yrs at a community college figuring it out
And that could be a waste of money.
Justanotherperson
Countess
Countess

Unread post

Your house and your rules. Personally not something I would do. College is not for everybody. I know quite a few people with absolutely no college education. But have amazing career that pays well. All they did was work their way up at different jobs. So college is not a requirement for me. My parents told me job or school. I chose job while my sisters chose college. With my own kids its job, college or military. As long as they are doing something, I am happy.
Valentina327
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I applaud her for being mature enough to not waste money going to school if she doesn't know what she wants just yet.

I'd let her take a year off to figure things out. Not all kids are the same. If she's a good kid and not a loafer, I would not make her set up a whole household on her own to possibly decide in 7 months she wants to go to school. Then she has to unwind everything.

I think the whole kicking kids out at 18 is harsh anyway. Just because your in laws did that to your husband doesn't make it right.
Let's Go Brandon!
#FJB

https://openvaers.com/
Valentina327
Princess
Princess

Unread post

RedBottoms wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:28 pm If a kid wants a gap year why is that on their parents to fund it though?
If she's working and paying rent, they're not funding anything.
Let's Go Brandon!
#FJB

https://openvaers.com/
Iffrinn
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

If that's your rule, then fine, but it's not a rule I would have. I would want them to either work or go to school, or both, if they choose, but it wouldn't matter to me which they chose to do. College isn't for everyone.

My oldest dd lived at home while going to trade school. My middle dd will live at home while pursuing a degree. What my son does will be up to him. I hope he will go to school, and it seems likely that he will, but if he was offered a great job right out of high school, I'd encourage him to take it.
. My husband was offered a great job right out of high school, worked with the company for 25 years, and was able to retire. I know it's rare, but, sometimes, not going to college works out well.
Locked Previous topicNext topic