Trump suggests taking meds then adds “ what do I know?”

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

CDC site has just changed the info it has on this drug and now makes clear there is "no approved drugs" to treat or prevent Covid-19.

CDC website drops guidance, anecdotal data on Trump-backed hydroxychloroquine as COVID-19 treatment
Doug Stanglin USA TODAY
April 8, 2020

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has abruptly switched its guidance for use of a drug touted by President Donald Trump as a possible treatment for COVID-19, dropping its reference to anecdotal dosages to say simply that there are no approved drugs for dealing with the disease.

The CDC's online advice for hydroxychloroquine was updated April 7, three days after Reuters reported that the CDC was offering what the news agency called "highly unusual guidance" for the drug's use based on "unattributed anecdotes rather than peer-reviewed science."

The updated, and shortened, guidance says simply that "hydroxychloroquine and chloroquine are under investigation in clinical trials” for use on coronavirus patients and "there are no drugs or other therapeutics approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration to prevent or treat COVID-19."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/hea ... 967852001/
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

29again wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:41 pm
Shoota wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:39 pm
29again wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:27 pm

There are any number of possible side effects just like with any drug. Most with this one are uncommon. This site says "incidence unknown."
https://www.drugs.com/sfx/hydroxychloro ... fects.html
From what I've read in a number of places, the dose is the same as for someone with RA, 2 200 mg tablets daily. Yeah, I learned the hard way about the side effects, even though mine is relatively mild. I ended up in the ER because of it. And that is why I am so careful when I take it now. But for someone who needs it for a WEEK, there really shouldn't be any side effects to speak of, unless they happen to be allergic to it. And there is no way to know that beforehand.

Also interesting is that Dr. Oz has not been able (so far) to find ANY patient taking this medication for lupus or RA who has gotten the virus..... Just saying that is something interesting.
I know people who have lupus and are on this medication that have gotten the virus.
Well, I heard Dr. Oz somewhere saying that. I think it would be great if the people you know could get in touch with him, this sounds like something he would like to know.
https://www.foxnews.com/media/dr-oz-on- ... at-reality
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
29again
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Shoota wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:58 am
29again wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:43 pm
Shoota wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:30 pm

I have to take it and have for a number of years now and I’ve definitely been very sick over that time as well. But I also take methotrexate injections (low doses of chemo), so that suppresses my immune system.
Oh, I hate the methotrexate! But all I can relate is my own experiences, and I haven't been sick at all since getting on those meds, even though I don't take them quite as prescribed.
It’s the worst! I feel like I’m putting poison in my body. At least I can inject it myself, the pills made me so sick.

I’m so glad you only had an upset stomach! The dizziness was awful to try and work with. Lol. Why don’t you take it as prescribed? Why do you take it? Just being nosy. ;) You don’t have to answer if you don’t want to.
I used to take them right before I went to bed, on an empty stomach. After some years, it really messed with me pretty much out of nowhere! Severe nausea, cold sweats. I started tracking when I got "sick" and it was always the day after the methotrexate. I told my rheumy, and he told me that "the meds I prescribe don't do that." So, I made an appt with family doc. The night before that, the sickness hit again, and this time hubby witnessed it and freaked out! Took me to the ER. They said GERD. Family doc said it was the RA meds. So, I stopped taking them and let my stomach heal. Ever since then, it is hard to take either the HCL or the Metho. They both give me an upset stomach for a couple days. I can't deal with that all that well. I know I'm stupid for NOT taking them, but there is only so much I can take! I do have an appt Wed. I'm considering trying Xeljanz as long as I can take it without any of the other stuff. One of the side effects of that, with NSAIDS, corticosteroids, and/or methotrexate is abdominal tears/ruptures. So, IDK what I'm gonna do.... but I'm considering it. I won't do the biologics, tried 2 and got zero results. I don't know what else to try, tbh

(Sorry this was so long -- but, you asked! lol)
Expand your thinking

It’s possible to disagree with an article and not respond with a personal attack you know.
Try it.
29again
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Thelma Harper wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:38 am
29again wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:41 pm
Shoota wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:39 pm

I know people who have lupus and are on this medication that have gotten the virus.
Well, I heard Dr. Oz somewhere saying that. I think it would be great if the people you know could get in touch with him, this sounds like something he would like to know.
https://www.foxnews.com/media/dr-oz-on- ... at-reality
I heard him on a radio show saying specifically that he had not had one single case of the virus in a person with lupus or RA. He also said that he tried to look it up somehow in a database (not totally sure what he meant by that.) From what I understood, he was trying to FIND someone who had the virus as well as lupus.
Expand your thinking

It’s possible to disagree with an article and not respond with a personal attack you know.
Try it.
29again
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Shoota wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:30 pm

I have to take it and have for a number of years now and I’ve definitely been very sick over that time as well. But I also take methotrexate injections (low doses of chemo), so that suppresses my immune system.
Oh, I hate the methotrexate! But all I can relate is my own experiences, and I haven't been sick at all since getting on those meds, even though I don't take them quite as prescribed.
It’s the worst! I feel like I’m putting poison in my body. At least I can inject it myself, the pills made me so sick.

I’m so glad you only had an upset stomach! The dizziness was awful to try and work with. Lol. Why don’t you take it as prescribed? Why do you take it? Just being nosy. ;) You don’t have to answer if you don’t want to.
When I first started taking the metho, I LOVED it. Each week, one set of joints quit hurting. Feet, then knees, then hips, then shoulders... then my doc at that time told me to stop it, I was getting some toxicity. Because the dumbass didn't prescribe folic acid with it, which helps it not be toxic. He put me on it again about 6 months later, but couldn't remember why I went off of it... and that was my cue to find another doc.

I hate having RA, my grandma had it so bad... I can still see her in my mind, and I keep telling myself I will NOT end up like she did. But, I can see the deformities starting.... This is a terrible disease.
Expand your thinking

Try it.
Shoota
Baroness
Baroness

Unread post

29again wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:33 pm

When I first started taking the metho, I LOVED it. Each week, one set of joints quit hurting. Feet, then knees, then hips, then shoulders... then my doc at that time told me to stop it, I was getting some toxicity. Because the dumbass didn't prescribe folic acid with it, which helps it not be toxic. He put me on it again about 6 months later, but couldn't remember why I went off of it... and that was my cue to find another doc.

I hate having RA, my grandma had it so bad... I can still see her in my mind, and I keep telling myself I will NOT end up like she did. But, I can see the deformities starting.... This is a terrible disease.
Geez hon, I’m so sorry. My grandmother had RA and I watched it just eat her alive. I have lupus and mixed connected tissue disease, which is just basically I have symptoms from a bunch of different autoimmune diseases. I was a perfectly healthy 35 year old and I went from being a working single mom to not being able to brush my hair within two weeks. I was in so much pain. One of the scariest time of my life. I also got pleurisy, don’t know it you’ve had that little gem. Lol.
Sometimes I feel like being chronically ill stole so much out of my life, well it did. Stay strong mama. If you ever need to vent it out, I’m here. ❤️
Valentina327
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Ugh! I'm so sorry you're dealing with that. My oldest niece had JRA. It was horrible watching a 6 year old getting steroid drips and trying to get her to take those stupid 10 methotrexate pills. I can still picture those rotten little things. She's in her late 20s and having a lot of arthritis issues now. It's so horrible seeing someone young suffering like that. I'm so sorry. I truly hope you find something that works fantastic and arrests any damage. ❤
Let's Go Brandon!
#FJB

https://openvaers.com/
Valentina327
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Shoota wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:45 am

Geez hon, I’m so sorry. My grandmother had RA and I watched it just eat her alive. I have lupus and mixed connected tissue disease, which is just basically I have symptoms from a bunch of different autoimmune diseases. I was a perfectly healthy 35 year old and I went from being a working single mom to not being able to brush my hair within two weeks. I was in so much pain. One of the scariest time of my life. I also got pleurisy, don’t know it you’ve had that little gem. Lol.
Sometimes I feel like being chronically ill stole so much out of my life, well it did. Stay strong mama. If you ever need to vent it out, I’m here. ❤️
That sux so bad. It's awful when our bodies betray us like that. I sincerely hope things level out for you.
Let's Go Brandon!
#FJB

https://openvaers.com/
29again
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Shoota wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:45 am

I have that same feeling, that the illness stole a big part of my life. I got officially diagnosed in '09 and it's been a roller coaster. I had gotten laid off from a 50+ hour/week job in early '08, at that time I was diagnosed with acute tendonitis. I decided to let my hands heal before really looking for another job. Well, we all know what the job market was like back then! That was an eye-opener for me! I did get lucky and got hired somewhere in '10, and I am still there, been promoted to manager. I am SO lucky, because I can still function at my job even on my worst days. My girls there will help me out when I can't do this or that on whatever day. And it doesn't hurt a bit that my boss' wife has fibromyalgia and is VERY understanding about things...

I have this RA monster and I also had Grave's disease. I can't imagine dealing with these symptoms AND others on top of it! I learned to listen to my body, and my house is a wreck because of it! And I frankly don't care. Those who do come to visit know what the deal is, and if any of my kids EVER says something about it, I'll tell them to get busy, it won't offend me if they want to do some laundry or vaccuum... (Yeah, I say I don't care, but it really does bother me inside... not sure how to get past it all, though. Do you have any hints for that, besides a maid that I can't afford?) I really hate the days when it is too much to hold a damn plate!

Would you mind explaining what lupus is, what it entails? I've heard of it, a lot, but I don't know a whole lot about it. I know I could look it up and all that, but I have found that these kinds of explanations are so much better from someone who has experienced it... better than a cut and dried clinical explanation, if that makes sense. I had a friend on CM who had some connective tissue disease, so I have a basic understanding of that. That alone makes me feel for you!

Thanks for everything, and I will give you the same offer, if ya wanna vent, just pm me!
Expand your thinking

Try it.
29again
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Valentina327 wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:38 am

Ugh! I'm so sorry you're dealing with that. My oldest niece had JRA. It was horrible watching a 6 year old getting steroid drips and trying to get her to take those stupid 10 methotrexate pills. I can still picture those rotten little things. She's in her late 20s and having a lot of arthritis issues now. It's so horrible seeing someone young suffering like that. I'm so sorry. I truly hope you find something that works fantastic and arrests any damage. ❤
l
Thanks! I hope I can find something that really works, and soon! I feel SO sorry for those with JRA, kids do not need this kind of pain! I have a cousin (well, her mom and mine are cousins) who has/d JRA, and I never knew till I was older. I really believe in my case it is genetic, as it struck me and my grandma, and then my grandma's sister, her daughter and granddaughter too. Somehow, it skipped my mom! But that is all to the good, since my dad has Parkinson's with dementia now, and she is his caretaker.... I really hate these kinds of diseases.
Expand your thinking

Try it.
Locked Previous topicNext topic