Law banning female genital mutilation ruled unconstitutional; Michigan doctors cleared of charges

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Billie.jeens
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

CockatooCrazyColt529 wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:39 pm
Billie.jeens wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:14 pm "hate speech" is a nonexistent Construct that Fascists invented to limit thought -

It doesn't exist in the real world.

TheQueenOfEverything wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:58 am Hate speech is not dialogue.
Is that what US Protestants called it when they made laws in the 19th and 20th centuries against Catholics?

Example?
“Modern journalism is all about deciding which facts the public shouldn’t know because they might reflect badly on Democrats."
Murdoc's Mistress
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Genital mutilation in both boys and girls should be illegal until they reach an age to consent.

As far as this article goes, it's my understanding that it was deemed such due to something regarding commerce. I don't fully understand the link but that is what it amounted to.

It doesn't mean the doctor can't face state charges. It is illegal in the state she was in and she will still most likely serve time for it.
You were born an original, don't die a copy.
Deleted User 1074

Unread post

TheQueenOfEverything wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:32 am There are forms of female circumcision that are very similar to - even less invasive than - male circumcision. Often just a small nick as part of a religious ritual. That is what is most likely to occur in the US. And circumcision of males outside the Jewish religion was popularized by a doctor who was trying to combat the “problem” of masturbation in young males.

FTR I’m not a fan of circumcision of infants of either gender. Just pointing out that they aren’t that different, and as such this ruling is legally sound.
Lexy wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:22 am
TheQueenOfEverything wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:45 am Why? We allow male genital mutilation.
Female circumcision is to control the sexuality of the female. You are comparing apples and oranges.

Female genital mutilation is classified into four types:

Type I: Also known as clitoridectomy, this type consists of partial or total removal of the clitoris and/or its prepuce.
Type II: Also known as excision, the clitoris and labia minora are partially or totally removed, with or without excision of the labia majora.
Type III: The most severe form, it is also known as infibulation or pharaonic type. The procedure consists of narrowing the vaginal orifice with creation of a covering seal by cutting and appositioning the labia minora and/or labia majora, with or without removal of the clitoris. The appositioning of the wound edges consists of stitching or holding the cut areas together for a certain period of time (for example, girls’ legs are bound together), to create the covering seal. A small opening is left for urine and menstrual blood to escape. An infibulation must be opened either through penetrative sexual intercourse or surgery.
Type IV: This type consists of all other procedures to the genitalia of women for non-medical purposes, such as pricking, piercing, incising, scraping and cauterization.

http://www.endfgm.eu/female-genital-mut ... at-is-fgm/
wtf?? 1st there are health benefits to male circumcision like reducing risk of certain STDs and penile cancer and sometimes is medically neccessary. 2nd, cutting off foreskin is not = to removing a clitoris and labia in the most minor case, sewing up the vaginal opening in the most extreme cases. FGM causes many health problems, the labia prevent infections and the clitoris is the main source of nerves for a woman. it is more equivalent to the tip if the penis as far as sexual nerve endings, although it has even more! I understand the argument against male circumcision but it is Not = to FGM. this should be a BIPARTISAN issue. its barbaric and has no place in western society.
Francee89
Regent
Regent

Unread post

The article posted neglects to mention that the the judge ruled it was unconstitutional not because of religious freedom or a parallel between male and female circumcision, but because he found the federal government didn’t have the authority to make it a federal crime.

The other federal charges against her still remain, and it should be an incentive for every state to make sure they either have or pass a law against FGM.

https://www.npr.org/2018/11/21/66994599 ... constituti
TheQueenOfEverything
Regent
Regent

Unread post

You are not well informed on this issue. I explained why several times in this thread. Read further If you want, I’ll not repeat myself again.
water<wine wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:30 pm
TheQueenOfEverything wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:32 am There are forms of female circumcision that are very similar to - even less invasive than - male circumcision. Often just a small nick as part of a religious ritual. That is what is most likely to occur in the US. And circumcision of males outside the Jewish religion was popularized by a doctor who was trying to combat the “problem” of masturbation in young males.

FTR I’m not a fan of circumcision of infants of either gender. Just pointing out that they aren’t that different, and as such this ruling is legally sound.
Lexy wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:22 am

Female circumcision is to control the sexuality of the female. You are comparing apples and oranges.

Female genital mutilation is classified into four types:

Type I: Also known as clitoridectomy, this type consists of partial or total removal of the clitoris and/or its prepuce.
Type II: Also known as excision, the clitoris and labia minora are partially or totally removed, with or without excision of the labia majora.
Type III: The most severe form, it is also known as infibulation or pharaonic type. The procedure consists of narrowing the vaginal orifice with creation of a covering seal by cutting and appositioning the labia minora and/or labia majora, with or without removal of the clitoris. The appositioning of the wound edges consists of stitching or holding the cut areas together for a certain period of time (for example, girls’ legs are bound together), to create the covering seal. A small opening is left for urine and menstrual blood to escape. An infibulation must be opened either through penetrative sexual intercourse or surgery.
Type IV: This type consists of all other procedures to the genitalia of women for non-medical purposes, such as pricking, piercing, incising, scraping and cauterization.

http://www.endfgm.eu/female-genital-mut ... at-is-fgm/
wtf?? 1st there are health benefits to male circumcision like reducing risk of certain STDs and penile cancer and sometimes is medically neccessary. 2nd, cutting off foreskin is not = to removing a clitoris and labia in the most minor case, sewing up the vaginal opening in the most extreme cases. FGM causes many health problems, the labia prevent infections and the clitoris is the main source of nerves for a woman. it is more equivalent to the tip if the penis as far as sexual nerve endings, although it has even more! I understand the argument against male circumcision but it is Not = to FGM. this should be a BIPARTISAN issue. its barbaric and has no place in western society.
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Billie.jeens wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:46 pm
**** wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:39 pm
Billie.jeens wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:14 pm "hate speech" is a nonexistent Construct that Fascists invented to limit thought -

It doesn't exist in the real world.

Is that what US Protestants called it when they made laws in the 19th and 20th centuries against Catholics?

Example?
Oh FFS, you're not that naive to historical laws in the US, and if you are, you have just proven yourself to be not only a damn hypocrite, but also ignorant of religious laws in the States.
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
Billie.jeens
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

CockatooCrazyColt529 wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:06 pm
**** wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:39 pm

Example?
Oh FFS, you're not that naive to historical laws in the US, and if you are, you have just proven yourself to be not only a damn hypocrite, but also ignorant of religious laws in the States.

So no examples
“Modern journalism is all about deciding which facts the public shouldn’t know because they might reflect badly on Democrats."
Deleted User 276

Unread post

My feeling is that education is more effective than legislation when it comes to FGM.
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Since you obviously lack the capacity to do your own research, here, I did it for you:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/ ... -catholics

http://americanhistory.oxfordre.com/vie ... 9175-e-316

https://www.forbes.com/sites/trevorburr ... b816d627c2
Billie.jeens wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:40 pm

Example?

So no examples
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
Bring Them Home
Kittymom1026
Villein
Villein

Unread post

Momto2boys973 wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:49 am Since you obviously lack the capacity to do your own research, here, I did it for you:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/ ... -catholics

http://americanhistory.oxfordre.com/vie ... 9175-e-316

https://www.forbes.com/sites/trevorburr ... b816d627c2
Billie.jeens wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:40 pm

So no examples
Why should she do any research because she's an expert on everything..........just ask her.
Locked Previous topicNext topic