I told DD if she doesnt go to school she will have to move out

Unread post

No it isnt. We have given her all the tools she needs to support herself. She will have no problem. She could get an apartment on her own or roommates and make it even easier for herself.

They wont be pointless because even the trade schools require the basic pre reqs. There is 0 reason she cant take an english and math class online and work and live at home. She needs to take those no matter what she does in the future if she goes the school route. If not and she just wants to work she can just get her own place.
Momto2boys973 wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:09 pm When it’s either “what I agree with or get out”, it’s forced. Especially if she cannot support herself properly right now. If she doesn’t know what she wants right, it’s much better to let her do what she wants, work full time, save some money for herself and let her find what she wants to do the rest of her life. Taking pointless classes in community college won’t do that, all she’ll do is take electives that won’t stir her towards a degree. What a waste of time.
Guest wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:03 pm
Momto2boys973 wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:01 pm That’s how I ended up with a degree I never plan on using 🤷‍♀️ If I had been allowed some time to explore and find something that made me passionate, I would’ve ended up studying that later on and probably happy and successful in that field.
If you think you’re making your daughter successful, you’re not. You’re more likely doing the opposite and setting her up for failure by forcing a degree on her that age may not even want.
I am not forcing a degree on her. If she doesnt want to get one she will just move out. Going to community college for a year to do pre reqs and figure things out would also be a good option. She could see what she likes and doesnt like.
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

You do you. I’m glad I live in a society where kids (and yes, 18 year olds are KIDS, they’re it adults) aren’t expected to leave their family as soon as they finish high school. I’ll never understand that attitude towards one’s own children. But then it explains why those same kids are very quick to abandon their elderly parents when they become a “nuisance”. 🤷‍♀️
I love being family oriented and always supporting my kids in choosing what they want in life, not just following my own expectations. I know from experience that parents pushing their expectations on their kids that way just set them for failure, not success.
Guest wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:13 pm No it isnt. We have given her all the tools she needs to support herself. She will have no problem. She could get an apartment on her own or roommates and make it even easier for herself.

They wont be pointless because even the trade schools require the basic pre reqs. There is 0 reason she cant take an english and math class online and work and live at home. She needs to take those no matter what she does in the future if she goes the school route. If not and she just wants to work she can just get her own place.
Momto2boys973 wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:09 pm When it’s either “what I agree with or get out”, it’s forced. Especially if she cannot support herself properly right now. If she doesn’t know what she wants right, it’s much better to let her do what she wants, work full time, save some money for herself and let her find what she wants to do the rest of her life. Taking pointless classes in community college won’t do that, all she’ll do is take electives that won’t stir her towards a degree. What a waste of time.

I am not forcing a degree on her. If she doesnt want to get one she will just move out. Going to community college for a year to do pre reqs and figure things out would also be a good option. She could see what she likes and doesnt like.
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
Bring Them Home
JustAnotherBroad

Unread post

Guest wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:13 pm No it isnt. We have given her all the tools she needs to support herself. She will have no problem. She could get an apartment on her own or roommates and make it even easier for herself.

What trade schools have those sorts of prereqs? NOT having to take those sorts of classes is a huge reason to go to a TRADE school rather than a college. You do not need English to get a cosmetology license or Math to be licensed as a CNA or a Vet Tech or an EMT. Etc etc.

Unread post

I never expected any of my kids to move out as soon as they turned 18. She knows the rules and she is making a choice. She clearly isnt a kid if she is going to be moving out and 100% supporting herself.

I am family oriented. All my other kids have lived at home at least somewhat while going to school after HS. My oldest living at home is 25 and going to grad school. I have no problem with that.

Momto2boys973 wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:17 pm You do you. I’m glad I live in a society where kids (and yes, 18 year olds are KIDS, they’re it adults) aren’t expected to leave their family as soon as they finish high school. I’ll never understand that attitude towards one’s own children. But then it explains why those same kids are very quick to abandon their elderly parents when they become a “nuisance”. 🤷‍♀️
I love being family oriented and always supporting my kids in choosing what they want in life, not just following my own expectations.

Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

As long as they do things your way, of course. That’s not being a supportive parent. That’s imposing your expectations. And, as I said, I know from experience that’s not he,long your kids become happy and successful. That’s just setting them up for failure. I’m glad I learned from my mom’s mistakes and would never do that to my kids.
Guest wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:20 pm I never expected any of my kids to move out as soon as they turned 18. She knows the rules and she is making a choice. She clearly isnt a kid if she is going to be moving out and 100% supporting herself.

I am family oriented. All my other kids have lived at home at least somewhat while going to school after HS. My oldest living at home is 25 and going to grad school. I have no problem with that.

Momto2boys973 wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:17 pm You do you. I’m glad I live in a society where kids (and yes, 18 year olds are KIDS, they’re it adults) aren’t expected to leave their family as soon as they finish high school. I’ll never understand that attitude towards one’s own children. But then it explains why those same kids are very quick to abandon their elderly parents when they become a “nuisance”. 🤷‍♀️
I love being family oriented and always supporting my kids in choosing what they want in life, not just following my own expectations.

❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
Bring Them Home

Unread post

They all require basic math and english. Some have other requirements too

The vet tech and CNA program require that. The vet tech program is a 2 year program at the local CC. CNA can be done in a semester. EMT requires a lot more than just math and english.

There isnt a cosmetology school here so I know nothing about that.
JustAnotherBroad wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:17 pm

What trade schools have those sorts of prereqs? NOT having to take those sorts of classes is a huge reason to go to a TRADE school rather than a college. You do not need English to get a cosmetology license or Math to be licensed as a CNA or a Vet Tech or an EMT. Etc etc.

Unread post

Just because you couldnt figure it out and failed doesnt mean everyone is like you.

My DD has already been looking at apartments.
Momto2boys973 wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:22 pm As long as they do things your way, of course. That’s not being a supportive parent. That’s imposing your expectations. And, as I said, I know from experience that’s not he,long your kids become happy and successful. That’s just setting them up for failure. I’m glad I learned from my mom’s mistakes and would never do that to my kids.
Guest wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:20 pm I never expected any of my kids to move out as soon as they turned 18. She knows the rules and she is making a choice. She clearly isnt a kid if she is going to be moving out and 100% supporting herself.

JustAnotherBroad

Unread post

Guest wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:22 pm They all require basic math and english. Some have other requirements too

The vet tech and CNA program require that. The vet tech program is a 2 year program at the local CC. CNA can be done in a semester. EMT requires a lot more than just math and english.

No, actually she doesn't. I AM an EMT. Actually, a paramedic now. But anyway. Neither my EMT course NOR my paramedic course required me to take an English or a Math class and taking one at a community college would have done nothing towards my license. Just a little FYI.

Unread post

JustAnotherBroad wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:28 pm
Guest wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:22 pm They all require basic math and english. Some have other requirements too

No, actually she doesn't. I AM an EMT. Actually, a paramedic now. But anyway. Neither my EMT course NOR my paramedic course required me to take an English or a Math class and taking one at a community college would have done nothing towards my license. Just a little FYI.
That is how it is where I live. No one cares about where you live. It isnt relevant.
JustAnotherBroad

Unread post

Guest wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:29 pm
JustAnotherBroad wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:28 pm

That is how it is where I live. No one cares about where you live. It isnt relevant.
Unless you don't live in the US I call bull shit. I don't believe any state requires an English class to be a cosmetologist or a CNA or an EMT.
Locked Previous topicNext topic