Could you feed 4 for $400 a month?

Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I'll make a sample menu when I have the time
Anonymous 1

Unread post

That's how I meal plan too. If I notice a good deal on something that we like I may change my meal plan, but that doesn't happen often.
JoJo728 wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:59 pm I spend about $130/week to feed 3. But while I meal plan, it is more about not wasting fresh food and less about shopping on sale. I also live in a high COL area.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Thank you! I'm very fortunate to be in a position where we can just cut money from other areas if need be, but I appreciate your comment! I hate to think of anyone going hungry.
Anonymous 4 wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:59 pm Pre-pandemic, when prices were lower, I think I could definitely make that work. With a lot of effort and planning, I might still be able to make it work. But I don't know.

If I were you, I'd use the store's weekly flyer and plan meals based on what is on sale and is cheapest. If you feel you can't feed your family, please don't hesitate to reach out to a food pantry.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Not trying to be judgy but do you eat a lot of processed foods? Or do you freeze a lot of things? The one big shop a month thing just baffles me, but we also barely have a freezer, just the small one on our combi unit.
Anonymous 5 wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:05 pm I do it on $200 a month for the big grocery and fill in with another $100 so yes.

I use coupons, shop store sales and only do 1 BIG shopping a month. That is the $200

I fill in with milk, and fresh fruit for another $100 a month.

I am brand oriented but not brand specific so if Smuckers jelly is not on sale but Welch’s is, I buy that.

My husband doesn’t eat breakfast so we big 2 family size boxes of cereal-current obsession is Honey Nut Cheerios and that last the boys a month.

Lunch could be left overs or we do lunch meat, chips and fresh water Melin as it’s in season.

Dinner is what ever I feel like making. We have done a lot of grilling-last night it was steak and chicken kabobs, cole slaw, deviled eggs, and water melon.

We only eat out maybe once every 2 weeks.
Anonymous 1 wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:49 pm I've just been going over my budget and I'm so far overbudget on groceries for the past few months! After moving some things around I'm left with just about $400 for this month. I usually spend about $650 and during the pandemic I've been spending closer to $900 for 2 adults and 2 children.
I'm going to try, but I'm not sure we can make it without going overbudget again. Could you do it? What would your meals look like? None of us are attending work or school outside of the home so almost all meals will be at home. This would be for this month only.

*disclaimer: I'm not fishing for a handout or any sort of financial help, we can move money from elsewhere if need be*
Frau Holle
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Vegaswife2011 wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:37 pm
LiveWhatULove wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:14 pm
Frau Holle wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:11 pm Easily, but a lot more food is available free to me that most people would refuse to eat.

If o had to go on a budget, we would eat much more foraged food.
Like mushrooms, crickets and edible clover? Or like dumpster diving?
I’m curious too.
I Mean the wild natural foods all around.
9662594E-3B9F-4AC8-B633- B70F827F3202.jpeg

Most people wouldn’t even consider these food.
Attachments
9662594E-3B9F-4AC8-B633-B70F827F3202.jpeg
“ I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night “ - Sarah Williams
Anonymous 1

Unread post

I'm thinking if most of the food can fall somewhere close to either desirable or nutritious we'll be okay. LOL... it's only for a month, after all.
MrsDavidB wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:08 pm Of course. It may not be the most desirable food or the most nutrient but yes. You could feed everyone breakfast for 3 days for $1.88- $1 for a dozen eggs and .88 for a loaf of bread for toast at walmart for example.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

That would be lovely! Thank you!
Olioxenfree wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:21 pm I'll make a sample menu when I have the time
Quorra2.0
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Frau Holle wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:25 pm
Frau Holle wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:11 pm Easily, but a lot more food is available free to me that most people would refuse to eat.

If o had to go on a budget, we would eat much more foraged food.
Like foliage.

First thought that comes to mind right now is dandelions... I just made some dandelion shortbread cookies the other day.
Are they similar to lavender shortbread cookies? I make those on occasion.
Frau Holle
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Quorra2.0 wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:07 pm
Frau Holle wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:25 pm

Like foliage.

First thought that comes to mind right now is dandelions... I just made some dandelion shortbread cookies the other day.
Are they similar to lavender shortbread cookies? I make those on occasion.
If I was going to equate a flavor to it I would say it’s closer to honey
“ I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night “ - Sarah Williams
mommeruchy
Viscountess
Viscountess

Unread post

If I had to, absolutely.
Locked Previous topicNext topic