The Right again attacks Greta

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

And how do you know she put herself in that situation and wasn’t put there by her parents?
Furthermore, when we talk about kids, there’s also the factor of lack of experience and maturity to fully understand what being in the spotlight entails. Since they lack this knowledge, they should still be off limits to attacks and insults. Constructive criticism? By all means. Given in a way that kid can understand.

I remember 2 years ago, this girl that won Masterchef Junior. She looked “boyish”, was called “Beni” and soon enough, it didn’t take meanies too long to start wondering if she was transsexual and start gossiping about it. So was it fair because she wanted to compete there to have people question her sexuality and sexual orientation when she was 9 year old? No, it wasn’t OK. And claiming it’s fair game for kids who put themselves in the spotlight is simply a convenient excuse to be mean to these kids. WE are the adults. Maybe we should be the ones to show a better behavior and not come up with pathetic excuses just so that we can criticize a kid because he/she is associated with something we don’t like.
DSamuels wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:49 pm I disagree. Kids are off limits unless they purposely put themselves in the spotlight. They can’t have it both ways.

You can’t say “I’m going to tell you what to do, think, etc but you can’t talk about or criticize me because I’m just a child and off-limits.”
Momto2boys973 wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:31 pm I agree, but it’s either off limits for all or none. But it’s not OK in cases when the kid is doing something you don’t like and not OK when he’s doing something you like. If kids are off limits, then how much they’re in the spotlight or how they are doesn’t matter. They’re ALL off limits.
But if it’s OK to go after a kid because she’s “out there”, then it’s also OK for a kid whose parent put him “out there”.
Have some consistency in your argument.

And really... what she said barely qualifies as “using” the kid unless you really twist it around. She “used” Trump’s choice of a name, that’s all. Anyone can see that the kid has no blame on his name whatsoever.
BionicBunny wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:26 pm As I have stated it’s using a child to attack the parent and just as bad.

❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
Bring Them Home
DSamuels
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Francee89 wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:03 pm
DSamuels wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:49 pm I disagree. Kids are off limits unless they purposely put themselves in the spotlight. They can’t have it both ways.

You can’t say “I’m going to tell you what to do, think, etc but you can’t talk about or criticize me because I’m just a child and off-limits.”
Momto2boys973 wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:31 pm I agree, but it’s either off limits for all or none. But it’s not OK in cases when the kid is doing something you don’t like and not OK when he’s doing something you like. If kids are off limits, then how much they’re in the spotlight or how they are doesn’t matter. They’re ALL off limits.
But if it’s OK to go after a kid because she’s “out there”, then it’s also OK for a kid whose parent put him “out there”.

And really... what she said barely qualifies as “using” the kid unless you really twist it around. She “used” Trump’s choice of a name, that’s all. Anyone can see that the kid has no blame on his name whatsoever.

Why can’t you say “it’s acceptable to attack their arguments, it’s unacceptable to attack/mock/insult them personally”? It’s entirely possible to talk about them without insulting them, and frankly, if the child is wrong why shouldn’t an adult be able to beat a child solely the merits of their arguments? That seems like it would certainly fall into the #BeBest standard Melania Trump herself claims to tout.
I was talking about their arguments.
Never explain - your friends do not need it and your enemies will not believe you anyway. - Elbert Hubbard

Keep up - Calm Down - Pay Attention
DSamuels
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

AnnieArk wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:00 pm

Blame her parents for putting her in that situation. The girl doesn't deserved to be attacked. Adults who do it are despicable.
Her parents should share the blame. But you, anyone adult or child, can’t put themselves out in the spotlight but declare what they are saying is off limits for criticism.

For the record I am not talking about attacking the child personally and those that thought that’s what I meant are a disappointment.
Never explain - your friends do not need it and your enemies will not believe you anyway. - Elbert Hubbard

DSamuels
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Never heard or saw anything about the kid you are talking about.

If she’s in the public like that without her parents permission then they are lousy parents who have lost control of their child.

If they put her in the public like and she didn’t want it then maybe iamanon is right and they are abusive.

If it’s her choice, and her parents are allowing it, she (as in her message not her person) is fair game. If anyone is going to put themselves into the public demanding to be heard, they should be prepared to be debated or their message criticized and be prepared to defend themselves.

It’s hypocritical to say the Obama kids were minors and off limits but Barron, also a minor is not. The Bush twins were bashed for their behavior also.

Momto2boys973 wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:11 pm And how do you know she put herself in that situation and wasn’t put there by her parents?
Furthermore, when we talk about kids, there’s also the factor of lack of experience and maturity to fully understand what being in the spotlight entails. Since they lack this knowledge, they should still be off limits to attacks and insults. Constructive criticism? By all means. Given in a way that kid can understand.

I remember 2 years ago, this girl that won Masterchef Junior. She looked “boyish”, was called “Beni” and soon enough, it didn’t take meanies too long to start wondering if she was transsexual and start gossiping about it. So was it fair because she wanted to compete there to have people question her sexuality and sexual orientation when she was 9 year old? No, it wasn’t OK. And claiming it’s fair game for kids who put themselves in the spotlight is simply a convenient excuse to be mean to these kids. WE are the adults. Maybe we should be the ones to show a better behavior and not come up with pathetic excuses just so that we can criticize a kid because he/she is associated with something we don’t like.

Francee89
Regent
Regent

Unread post

DSamuels wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:19 pm
Francee89 wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:03 pm

Why can’t you say “it’s acceptable to attack their arguments, it’s unacceptable to attack/mock/insult them personally”? It’s entirely possible to talk about them without insulting them, and frankly, if the child is wrong why shouldn’t an adult be able to beat a child solely the merits of their arguments? That seems like it would certainly fall into the #BeBest standard Melania Trump herself claims to tout.
I was talking about their arguments.
We agree then. Their arguments are fair game, but there’s no reason for adults to be rude to or about them.
DSamuels
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Interesting that no one from the other side has called out Libby for her comment about teenage girls only being interested in sneaking out to smoke and make out with their boyfriends.

Deleted User 638

Unread post

DSamuels wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:25 pm

Blame her parents for putting her in that situation. The girl doesn't deserved to be attacked. Adults who do it are despicable.
Her parents should share the blame. But you, anyone adult or child, can’t put themselves out in the spotlight but declare what they are saying is off limits for criticism.

For the record I am not talking about attacking the child personally and those that thought that’s what I meant are a disappointment.

Perhaps you should be more clear to avoid confusion.
DSamuels
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

AnnieArk wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:46 pm

Perhaps I should. Since I know what I am talking about there are things I do leave out sometimes.

By the same token perhaps people shouldn’t be so quick to automatically think the worst, but ask for clarification.

Deleted User 276

Unread post

Deleted User 638

Unread post

DSamuels wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:50 pm
AnnieArk wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:46 pm

Perhaps I should. Since I know what I am talking about there are things I do leave out sometimes.

By the same token perhaps people shouldn’t be so quick to automatically think the worst, but ask for clarification.

You're right that many of us on both sides are too quick to assume the worse. The problem is some members, not you, have made responses in the last months that make it difficult not to assume the worst with their replies.
Locked Previous topicNext topic