Soccer just got too real

Inmybizz
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

LiveWhatULove wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:48 am
Inmybizz wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:41 am Headers-hitting the ball with your head . Correct?
Yes.
Ok. I don’t hear a lot about head injuries in soccer.
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

MrsDavidB wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:30 am I assume this is a newish rule? I played soccer all as a child and through high school and if we wanted the headbutt the ball we just did. I even remember it being a part of practice. The coach would throw the ball up to us and we would try using our heads. I had no idea it was banned now.
Yes, it has been a common rule in the past 15 years or so. As the sport gained more popularity and more head trauma was seen in growing brains with ongoing tease each on the long term impact still unknown but suggestive of increased risk of semantics and other disease.
Linda_Runs
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

LiveWhatULove wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:25 am My DS will be 12 next year & plays soccer, I am sure like many of your children.

But this coming year will be the first time headers are allowed. I think headers in soccer should be banned until they are much older. I have seen so many concussions from this practice in other family members and it just looks brutal to me. It has a high injury rate as a sport as it is.

Do you think headers are valuable to the sport for middle & high school players?

I wish my kids just ran track and did swimming team, they seem the safest sport related activities!!
Our 11 year old is in soccer. Heading is not banned here but it is a topic of controversy. At the younger ages I have not seen it much anyway. Probably the most common injuries are sprains.

Concussion injuries are a hot topic, so much that Ontario created a law for it called Rowan's Law (Concussion Law). I personally think that heading should not be allowed for children under 16.

Our girls swim as that is their favourite thing to do. Our oldest has ran laps around our block and has come running with me before.
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:30 am Lacrosse is much more physical then soccer.
I am sure Lacrosse is a hell of sport.

But this is a comparison. It suggests you do know about BOTH sports.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

LiveWhatULove wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:58 am
Anonymous 1 wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:30 am Lacrosse is much more physical then soccer.

Nope, that is just how you perceived my comment.
MrsDavidB
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

LiveWhatULove wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:54 am
MrsDavidB wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:30 am I assume this is a newish rule? I played soccer all as a child and through high school and if we wanted the headbutt the ball we just did. I even remember it being a part of practice. The coach would throw the ball up to us and we would try using our heads. I had no idea it was banned now.
Yes, it has been a common rule in the past 15 years or so. As the sport gained more popularity and more head trauma was seen in growing brains with ongoing tease each on the long term impact still unknown but suggestive of increased risk of semantics and other disease.
I see. Thank you.
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:01 am

You are too funny.
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

MrsDavidB wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:01 am
LiveWhatULove wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:54 am
I see. Thank you.
I am surprised because , Oh dear lord, auto correct did a number, lol, o meant to say “ongoing research on the long term impact of such injuries is still unknown, but suggestive of dementia...”

Lmao, I do not think I understood myself...
Anonymous 1

Unread post

LiveWhatULove wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:05 am
Anonymous 1 wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:01 am

You are too funny.
Why because you're wrong on how I meant my comment?
Conweis
Regent
Regent

Unread post

You can tell the coach your child will not be using the header technique.
My third son plays soccer and hasn't done headers yet.
I have to worry about my oldest getting concussions from wrestling and trying out for football this summer.
Locked Previous topicNext topic