My daughter annoys the f**k out of me

Anonymous 10

Unread post

Anonymous 14 wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 2:54 pm
Anonymous 10 wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 8:21 am I have a child on the spectrum who obsesses on things too. They get punished for it. Idc if that sounds bad. I do not want to hear about how you scraped your knee 4 months ago obsessively or how in 2 weeks we are going here obsessively. They can be excited but they need to learn boundaries so mine gets warned to stop talking so much about it or they won't go/will be punished for it.

You should redirection instead of punishment. You're setting it up for a time when you need to know things but your kid isn't going to tell you.

I try to. It does not work.
That'swhatshesaid
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Anonymous 4 wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 7:59 pm Can you put your daughter on the phone so that she can explain to me exactly who the heck BTS is?
I don't know who that is either but I don't listen to current music because it's shit. I use the term "music" loosely.
Deleted User 172

Unread post

I'm very disappointed in a lot of the comments on this thread.
Anonymous 4

Unread post

:lol: Me, too. It seems like it all sounds the SAME. But I'm sure our parents probably said the same thing about the music we listened to! I can tolerate pretty much. But the REPETITIVE STUFF or RAP...Nope! Not happening for me.
MeAF wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 6:04 pm
Anonymous 4 wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 7:59 pm Can you put your daughter on the phone so that she can explain to me exactly who the heck BTS is?
I don't know who that is either but I don't listen to current music because it's shit. I use the term "music" loosely.
Anonymous 4

Unread post

The TITLE, alone, disappoints me. But is there a particular comment that has disappointed you?
Dylexsmommy wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 6:07 pm I'm very disappointed in a lot of the comments on this thread.
Deleted User 172

Unread post

Anonymous 4 wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 6:14 pm The TITLE, alone, disappoints me. But is there a particular comment that has disappointed you?
Dylexsmommy wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 6:07 pm I'm very disappointed in a lot of the comments on this thread.
The title. The OP, anon 10 I think that punishes her child, some of the other comments from anon 1 and 10.

I was telling my mom a few days ago that since my autistic son is older (14) and my NT son is younger (6) the NT one is really weird to me. I recognize that he's just a typical boy but I've been the autism mommy for 14 years now. It's our normal.
Not only is it like raising 2 only children based on the age difference but it's also 2 parenting styles.
It's so discouraging to see people being so annoyed by what is normal to our autistic kids.
To them they're normal, it's us and society that says they aren't. So not only are they fighting against their stigma but they have people yelling at them to shut up and disregarding what they find interesting. That must be heartbreaking to our children.

Idk. I listen to my autistic son all the time. He goes on and on about his obsession (right now pokemon) and yeah I get annoyed but I let him talk. I love the kid too much and feel such pride in him that it never gets further than "you told me that already".
And now, when kids his age are shutting down and not talking to their parents my kid is opening up to me, he's telling me his dreams and fears and the things that annoy him, etc.
It makes me sad for the kids to see those comments.
Anonymous 4

Unread post

Oh. I agree. I don't like to hear anyone tell another person, let alone a special needs child, to "shut up."

Whether our children have special needs or they do not, sometimes we just get tired of hearing them talk. I get that. Heck! Sometimes I get tired of hearing my DH go on and on. I would like to think that we all do our best. We try to be courteous, to pay attention, and to at least act like we're interested even when we sometimes aren't. We should do that for the people that we love. But we aren't perfect and sometimes we slip. And that leads me to the title of this post...

"My daughter annoys the f**k out of me"...That title made me cringe. But I'm not the mother of a special needs child. I have not walked a mile in her shoes and because I haven't, I can't possibly understand the level of fatigue and frustration (and maybe even anger) that may often creep its way into any one of her days.

So, maybe I should ease back on coming down hard on her for choosing the words she did to express just how frustrated she was. I can't help but wonder if she wasn't just glad to have a place to LAY DOWN those frustrations. Rather than lay into her for using words that I may not of chosen, I'm going to acknowledge her frustration and wish her better, less stressful days.

To her and all the moms of special needs children, you are super heroes. I don't know how you do all that you do in a day. I know you hold up your children EVERY DAY. And I know that the amount of work that you put into giving your children their best shot every day must cause you to be exhausted at the end of most days. I also know that most people don't have a clue about just what goes into your day. I just want you to know that I think your children are gifts. And I think YOU are gifts to your children.

Dylexsmommy wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 6:28 pm
Anonymous 4 wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 6:14 pm The TITLE, alone, disappoints me. But is there a particular comment that has disappointed you?
The title. The OP, anon 10 I think that punishes her child, some of the other comments from anon 1 and 10.

I was telling my mom a few days ago that since my autistic son is older (14) and my NT son is younger (6) the NT one is really weird to me. I recognize that he's just a typical boy but I've been the autism mommy for 14 years now. It's our normal.
Not only is it like raising 2 only children based on the age difference but it's also 2 parenting styles.
It's so discouraging to see people being so annoyed by what is normal to our autistic kids.
To them they're normal, it's us and society that says they aren't. So not only are they fighting against their stigma but they have people yelling at them to shut up and disregarding what they find interesting. That must be heartbreaking to our children.

Idk. I listen to my autistic son all the time. He goes on and on about his obsession (right now pokemon) and yeah I get annoyed but I let him talk. I love the kid too much and feel such pride in him that it never gets further than "you told me that already".
And now, when kids his age are shutting down and not talking to their parents my kid is opening up to me, he's telling me his dreams and fears and the things that annoy him, etc.
It makes me sad for the kids to see those comments.
Anonymous 4

Unread post

So sweet. :)
Anonymous 9 wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 2:18 am My autistic son thinks he is a trumpet. I'll trade you!
Bubbs
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

All my son wants to talk about is football or track. Not anything that I am interested in, but I listen and watch his videos because I don't want him to think I don't care about what he cares about. When he was watching the draft and came to update me every 10 min. I smiled, nodded and repeated the players name. Not because I cared at all, only because he's my kid and I care about him. And he's not autistic, he's just fixated on what he likes.

I just saying, give her a break, she's excited and maybe redirect her? I don't know a lot about autism, so I don't know if redirection works.
Honey, I'm the original one-eyed chicklet in the kingdom of the blind, 'cause at least I admit the world makes me nuts.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 4 wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 6:12 pm :lol: Me, too. It seems like it all sounds the SAME. But I'm sure our parents probably said the same thing about the music we listened to! I can tolerate pretty much. But the REPETITIVE STUFF or RAP...Nope! Not happening for me.
MeAF wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 6:04 pm
K pop isn't bad. It reminds me of disco. It isn't like Rod Stewart's Do you think I'm sexy or the Kinks Lola is some high class music lol. Just as long as some rapper isn't talking about hos and bitches. I draw the line at drugs and disrespect towards women.
Locked Previous topicNext topic