Drunk Man Shot by Police as He was Running Away

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Back in the day, my city had what was nicknamed the "Drunk Tank" where individuals like that were held while they "slept it off". Police didn't shoot them. What changed?
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
jessilin0113
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Thelma Harper wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:57 am Back in the day, my city had what was nicknamed the "Drunk Tank" where individuals like that were held while they "slept it off". Police didn't shoot them. What changed?
We've militarized the police and made them respond to every single problem. Our only tool is a hammer so every problem is now a nail.
jessilin0113
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Mommamia wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:49 am
jessilin0113 wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:24 am
Mommamia wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:33 pm

Reality, Jes, Reality. It is not any cops job to take drunk drivers home then visit them the next day to give them a citation. They don't have enough time to do what they have to do, let alone play nice to some drunk. Drunk driving is against the law. If you fail a field sobriety test, it is their job to haul your drunk ass to jail, ticket you, then you call someone to come get you out of jail.

I honestly don't see how you function in the real world. Or do you?
They dont have enough time to do what they need to do (solve violent crimes, which they are terrible at), *because* they are called for stupid shit like this. Jail is overused. This guy wasn't driving drunk at the time, let the fire department or paramedics take him home, and mail him a F***ing ticket. Then a dude isn't dead and the cops can focus on actual crimes.
Get the hell out of that dream world you live in. It is the cop's job to arrest drunk drivers, whether they are passed out in a car or driving down the road. It is not the Firefighters nor Paramedics job to cart drunk drivers home. Or would you rather the cops let him sleep it off, then let him drive home still under the influence and kill somebody in a horrific accident., which wouldn't really be an accident.

If I were having a heart attack or fell and broke a leg and couldn't get a paramedic to come because he was off doing something that is not his job, I'd sue the crap out of the city's fire dept.paramedics. Same goes if my house burned to the ground while the firemen were off taking a drunk home.
Damn, imagine not having cops available for your home break-in because they are too busy responding to this stupid shit. Or a noise complaint. Or removing a homeless dude from a bench. Or trying to deal with a mentally ill person. Or any of the myriad of things we call the cops for that could be handled by better-equipped people.
Lexy
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

AZLizardLady wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:51 am Since it was apparently a Wendy's where this man was found asleep in the drive-thru, sure...why not....burn it down!

https://www.wvlt.tv/2020/06/14/atlanta- ... black-man/

What a sick, f'd up society we're living in all the way around. :/
These people who burned Wendy’s are NOT protestors. They crossed the line when they started burning and damaging property. They become Anarchist’s or arsonists when they started lawless behavior.
wildflowers25
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Thelma Harper wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:57 am Back in the day, my city had what was nicknamed the "Drunk Tank" where individuals like that were held while they "slept it off". Police didn't shoot them. What changed?
I don't remember a lot of stories about drunks in the old days fighting with police when caught, then running thinking they will get away and the police will just forget they were passed out drunk behind the wheel of a car. I think what changed is people thinking they can break any law they please and it's finally too much. As unpopular as it is, there was plenty of wrong here on both sides.
Deleted User 203

Unread post

Lexy wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:31 am
AZLizardLady wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:51 am Since it was apparently a Wendy's where this man was found asleep in the drive-thru, sure...why not....burn it down!

https://www.wvlt.tv/2020/06/14/atlanta- ... black-man/

What a sick, f'd up society we're living in all the way around. :/
These people who burned Wendy’s are NOT protestors. They crossed the line when they started burning and damaging property. They become Anarchist’s or arsonists when they started lawless behavior.
Very true! There's a distinction that needs to be made here by both society and the media.

We had a peaceful protest (which they've all been now for going on a few weeks after about a week or so of rioting) of about 300 people yesterday that traveled quite a bit in our very hot temps from Tempe (east part of the "Valley") to the state capitol (central part of the Valley). It was calm and again, very peaceful.

THIS from Atlanta is definitely NOT a protest.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

wildflowers25 wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:06 pm
I don't remember a lot of stories about drunks in the old days fighting with police when caught, then running thinking they will get away and the police will just forget they were passed out drunk behind the wheel of a car. I think what changed is people thinking they can break any law they please and it's finally too much. As unpopular as it is, there was plenty of wrong here on both sides.
I’ve done a lot of partying in my days and I’ve seen plenty of police officers resolve issues like this without shooting someone.
Deleted User 1511

Unread post

jessilin0113 wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:33 am
We've militarized the police and made them respond to every single problem. Our only tool is a hammer so every problem is now a nail.
I think that our police also put too much emphasis on apprehend and arrest, especially for non-violent crimes.
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

"...fighting with police when caught, then running..."

My brother, uncles, FIL, and a lot of older guys I know would tell you different, lol. The hotrodders around here used to run from them all the time too.
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
wildflowers25
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Thelma Harper wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:23 pm
"...fighting with police when caught, then running..."

My brother, uncles, FIL, and a lot of older guys I know would tell you different, lol. The hotrodders around here used to run from them all the time too.
My husband, uncles and in-laws have a lot of stories too. I don't know what the difference is but there was never one incident of running from the police after being pulled over or being passed out drunk behind the wheel of a car. The wildest story was teenagers partying, the police show up and they all scattered.
Locked Previous topicNext topic