Got my dna results and I’m.....

Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Sassyfrass01 wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:35 pm
Anonymous 2 wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:14 pm No, we knew what our results would be and they came back exactly that

Wait I didn't word that right....
I can't imagine not knowing what my exact DNA/Ancestry would be. What person doesn't know this important information about their own famly? :lol:
I've wanted to do the 23 and me one for a while with the health screening so I know exactly how far back a couple of medical conditions goes.
My Mom was always against it cause she was afraid it would open the door to problems with my Moms mothers biological family. We havent spoke to them since I was 6yrs old.
23andme tells you if you have genetic markers for different medical conditions, but it doesn't tell you where those markers came from or how far back in your family they go. You also have to give consent for you profile to be publicly visible, so your mom's family wouldn't know that you did it.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Anonymous 3 wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:25 am
Anonymous 9 wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:45 am
Anonymous 3 wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:36 pm

Its reaaly not that important. Not to mention you basically gave these companies carte blanche to.use and sell your DNA however they want. My SIL bought a bunch for the family on black friday. They got thrown in the trash
Just out of curiosity, what do you think they are going to use your dna for? Is there some conspiracy for these company stealing our dna? Clones maybe?
They don't have to steal it because you have already given it to them. It means you could be denied or charged higher for Life insurance and Long term Care insurance. They sell your dba to drug pharmeseutical companies and makes it really easy for Law enforcement to get a hold of your DNA

You are absolutely correct and why I waited this long to do the dna testing.

From what I read the second a family member, and it didn’t even have to be say a sibling or a parent, does a dna test like this then they have enough info on YOU to deny you life insurance and the fbi then has enough dna to help them track you (they did something similar to the guy in California who’s been charged with murder I believe)

My dad and several cousins and second cousins have already done the dna tests and I’m betting that a half brother who was placed for adoption has as well. So I figured at this point there was no point in not doing it...there’s enough info out there on me without me even giving consent so I might as well see what it can tell me.
Sassyfrass01
Viscountess
Viscountess

Unread post

Olioxenfree wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:36 am
Sassyfrass01 wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:35 pm
Anonymous 2 wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:14 pm No, we knew what our results would be and they came back exactly that

Wait I didn't word that right....
I can't imagine not knowing what my exact DNA/Ancestry would be. What person doesn't know this important information about their own famly? :lol:
I've wanted to do the 23 and me one for a while with the health screening so I know exactly how far back a couple of medical conditions goes.
My Mom was always against it cause she was afraid it would open the door to problems with my Moms mothers biological family. We havent spoke to them since I was 6yrs old.
23andme tells you if you have genetic markers for different medical conditions, but it doesn't tell you where those markers came from or how far back in your family they go. You also have to give consent for you profile to be publicly visible, so your mom's family wouldn't know that you did it.
Thank you! Even though my Mom is gone now I've still been on the fence, I think I'm going to do it, it seems as though Alzheimers and Dementia are hereditary in Dads side, I think knowing if I carry the markers for those will be important info for myself and so I can think ahead and make arrangements now for when the time comes.
Rebeccaraev2
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

I’m already aware, my tribe has strong lineage records and my mothers side is easy to trace, my grandmother immigrated here.
Anonymous 7

Unread post

Wow! I hadn't heard this yet! A couple years ago I contemplated sending mine in. But for some reason, in recent months, I've become very skeptical about where my DNA is going and exactly all it could possibly be used for. Glad I never sent mine in.
Linda_Runs wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:20 am CBC Marketplace particularly, but also more than one American science research company, all did in depth articles on this. They basically said that the results are less than one percent accurate. The best they can do is tell you the continent that your DNA can be from with only a 50% probability. To test this, two journalist twins independently sent their DNA to five different companies. According to the results, they not only are not twins, but they are from different backgrounds.

A genetics professor at McGill University said that the kits should be used as entertainment only and have little if any bearing on their customer's genealogy.
Anonymous 10

Unread post

I haven’t done mine but my brother did. We have always thought we were one hundred percent Italian. It came back 80 recent Italian and twenty percent middle eastern. That was kind of surprising
Linda_Runs
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Anonymous 7 wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:28 pm Wow! I hadn't heard this yet! A couple years ago I contemplated sending mine in. But for some reason, in recent months, I've become very skeptical about where my DNA is going and exactly all it could possibly be used for. Glad I never sent mine in.
Linda_Runs wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:20 am CBC Marketplace particularly, but also more than one American science research company, all did in depth articles on this. They basically said that the results are less than one percent accurate. The best they can do is tell you the continent that your DNA can be from with only a 50% probability. To test this, two journalist twins independently sent their DNA to five different companies. According to the results, they not only are not twins, but they are from different backgrounds.

A genetics professor at McGill University said that the kits should be used as entertainment only and have little if any bearing on their customer's genealogy.
You are right to be suspicious. The ancestry DNA industry is not regulated to my knowledge. Other than their normal requirement to keep our private information secure, I do not believe there is any regulations, inspection or oversight.
Locked Previous topicNext topic