30,000 bees

MistressMonster
Sour Grapes
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Traci_Momof2 wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:22 pm Ugh! I don't like bees. They bother us when we are trying to enjoy our pool. They do us a favor when they end up drowning themselves. Otherwise if they're too pesty my DH will swat them down into the water and kill them. They've stung both my husband and my son before in the pool. I don't want to be next.
Sounds more like yellowjackets than actual bees. Bees, yes will drink from the pool, but generally aren't aggressive. Yellow jackets are the ones who will come bug you while eating, etc. The ones I find in my pool, I will get a net and pull them out, and put them on my grapes.

Last time I got stung was back in 2017. It was night time. Didn't realize what had happened at first. Prior to that night, it had been 24 yrs since my last sting. Terrified I was going to have a terrible reaction, because it had been so long.
The oranges of the island are like blazing fire
Amongst the emerald boughs
And the lemons are like the paleness of a lover
Who has spent the night crying.

My soul was ripped to shreds on 10/27/14
MistressMonster
Sour Grapes
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:06 am
bmw29 wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:26 am
Traci_Momof2 wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:22 pm Ugh! I don't like bees. They bother us when we are trying to enjoy our pool. They do us a favor when they end up drowning themselves. Otherwise if they're too pesty my DH will swat them down into the water and kill them. They've stung both my husband and my son before in the pool. I don't want to be next.
I really hope y'all aren't killing honey bees. Wasps and sh*t are whatever but we kind of need honey bees for survival and they aren't doing so well at the moment.
She's probably dealing with yellow jackets and doesn't know the difference.
That's what I'm thinking.
The oranges of the island are like blazing fire
Amongst the emerald boughs
And the lemons are like the paleness of a lover
Who has spent the night crying.

My soul was ripped to shreds on 10/27/14
Victoriousmom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

SolidlyAverage wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:01 pm
Victoriousmom wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:26 pm
SolidlyAverage wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:19 pm

I had them at my last house, which was a small lot in a big subdivision. You don’t need much room, really. It’s mostly a matter of checking the local ordinances and home owners’ association (if there is one). I had to pay $15 to get a license from the county and be able to situate the hive a certain distance from property lines and walking paths. I checked with my immediate neighbors as a courtesy, too, to make sure they wouldn’t mind.

One thing to consider is that there is a fair amount of air traffic around the hive entrance in the summer, and they’ll fly straight out for like 10 feet before flying vertically, so you need either a long stretch where no one will walk, or a barrier to make them fly up instead of straight out. And there will be more bees in your yard, of course, though we never had a problem with anyone getting stung when we were just spending time out there.

The other issue is that they will defend their hive against things like dogs and lawnmowers. Usually if you are a yard or two away or aren’t near it for long they don’t mind, but if you have a dog that would go sniffing around they would see it as a threat. My son got stung a couple of times mowing, so he started avoiding it by a couple of yards and I’d just go quickly weed whack the next day so they had time to calm down if the noise bothered then. I never got stung doing that.
So they wouldn't be a danger to my husband! We have 3.2 acres here ffs! So give me some links on everything I need! If you have time..
There’s not really any one website I know of. There are often a lot of local resources now that beekeeping has gotten so popular. I took class one weekend that covered the basics, got a couple of books (Beekeeping for Dummies was pretty good and thorough), and found a local equipment retailer to get my hives and bees.

There are often local beekeeping clubs/groups that are good resources for general information and specifics about where to get equipment and order bees, too. One of the community colleges in our area offers no-credit course open to the public and they do a class, too. That might be something to look into in your area?

The class was helpful and had a lot of good information, but honestly it’s not really that complicated. There’s so much information online that it was more of a convenience by consolidating information into one place than a necessity. And frankly, the bees don’t NEED a beekeeper. Once you dump them in the hive, they’ll do their thing no matter if you know what you (and they) are doing or not. Most of checking in them is to prevent swarming in order to maximize honey production, only rarely do they need intervention to keep the hive going. Mite treatment in the fall is usually the only help they need.

I’m sure you can find online retailers for hives and equipment and probably even bees. I’d advise investing in the set up- get a good smoker, well made hive, plastic frames, and a nice veil (you don’t need anything other than a veil and tight fitting clothes).
Thanks for the info! I'm going to do some research on this super chilly day. Thanks again

I have seen a swarm of bees cross my property before I wonder if those weren't honey bees. I wonder if they would come if I produced the habitat.
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

MistressMonster wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:32 am
Sounds more like yellowjackets than actual bees. Bees, yes will drink from the pool, but generally aren't aggressive. Yellow jackets are the ones who will come bug you while eating, etc. The ones I find in my pool, I will get a net and pull them out, and put them on my grapes.

Last time I got stung was back in 2017. It was night time. Didn't realize what had happened at first. Prior to that night, it had been 24 yrs since my last sting. Terrified I was going to have a terrible reaction, because it had been so long.
I don't know what they are for sure but they are not specifically aggressive. They just get in the way. Like the time my son grabbed for a toy boat and there just happened to be a bee on it. He got stung because he grabbed where the bee was. Or when my DH got stung in the thigh because I just happened to jump on his thighs just as a bee came in to land on him. But that's two times too many already that they've gotten in the way. I've never been stung in my life. Ever. And I don't want to start now.
Conweis
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I saved three bees once and I am allergic to them.
Deleted User 670

Unread post

Traci_Momof2 wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:13 am
MistressMonster wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:32 am

I don't know what they are for sure but they are not specifically aggressive. They just get in the way. Like the time my son grabbed for a toy boat and there just happened to be a bee on it. He got stung because he grabbed where the bee was. Or when my DH got stung in the thigh because I just happened to jump on his thighs just as a bee came in to land on him. But that's two times too many already that they've gotten in the way. I've never been stung in my life. Ever. And I don't want to start now.
do they look like this?

lunarprancer
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

My little sister has bees!
PoplarGrove
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

those sound like wasps or hornets. Bees don't generally sting unless you step on them or they're lives are threatened. Bees also usually keep away from humans.
Reedusstalker

Unread post

I'd love to do that but my one dog is deathly allergic to bees.
Victoriousmom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Conweis wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:22 am I saved three bees once and I am allergic to them.
Attachments
Girls.png
Locked Previous topicNext topic