The bird box challenge! Yay or nay?

Anonymous 7

Unread post

Momto2boys973 wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:25 pm I agree with his. At best it’s dumb, at worst, it’s mildly insulting. Fact is, pretending to be blind for a little while won’t really give me the “blind experience” so that I can appreciate my eyesight.
Olioxenfree wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:39 pm I believe that it is problematic that some think that by wearing a blindfold for a while, which you did not grow up with and can take off at any time, you will in any way, shape, or form understand what a visually impaired person goes through. It's not so much as "learning appreciation for what it's like" to me as it is "playing blind."

That's funny. I am hearing impaired and I don't find it insulting at all! In fact I would be happy if someone walked a mile in my shoes.

In fact my dh had ear infection and his ear was plugged so for 2 days so he got a taste of what it was like to walk a mile in my shoes being hearing impaired. After he healed my dh told he I don't know how you do it. I couldn't hear anything. I told him welcome to my world. Just imagine being that way forever. That's me. Since then my dh understands my disability better. He doesn't get irritated when I ask what he just said a million times. And he just ask me to turn diwn the music or tv when I don't realize it's too loud and he put closed captioning on our tvs for me.

Some people aren't snowflakes or over sensitive about disabilities. I'm not. I have great respect for anyone who has a disability. There has been days when I had strut throat so bad that I couldn't speak so I would have to communicate a different way then talking. Or one more then one occasion I had to walk around with my eyes closed because of my allergies got so bad my eyes hurt. I don't know how they do it. But it did give me a greater appreciation for what senses I do have.
Deleted User 1018

Unread post

I think the challenge trend is stupid and hope it does out faster than the reality shows. Saw the movie listed on Netflix last night, but I don't feel drawn to watch it.
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

At least it's not eating laundry detergent. But it's still just as dumb. It's not even about a disability. It's mimicking a movie and it's getting people hurt. I wish people would learn to use their brains.
Anonymous 7

Unread post

There have been two car vs. pedestrian fatalities on the freeway due to this damned bird box challenge.
That'swhatshesaid
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Anonymous 7 wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:53 pm There have been two car vs. pedestrian fatalities on the freeway due to this damned bird box challenge.
That doesn't surprise me. People are stupid.
Anonymous 8

Unread post

I saw this dumb shit on the news this one couple seriously blindfolded a baby.. He /she was maybe a year or two old. They started walking holding hands on the video and baby ran right into the wall. Who does something so stupid. I can only imagine how scared that child was when mom or dad suddenly takes his or her sight for a stupid video. Smh
agander2017
Monkey's Mama
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

SolidlyAverage wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:29 am
agander2017 wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:43 am
SolidlyAverage wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:40 am

It’s a thriller where you can’t look at what’s outside or you die. Also, I’m really impressed that you managed to have not heard about it! I don’t think I could have kept up with the news and managed to not know anything about it!

In the movie, people blindfold themselves when they go outside so they can’t see the things and die. It has nothing to do with disability or blindness. It would be offensive to blind people if they were also offended by kids playing Pin The Tail On Donkey.
Lol, I don't watch a lot of TV, so that's probably how I missed it. If that's what it's about, then no, it's not offensive I suppose. The challenge might be, because people aren't going to really die by looking at something.
Me, either. Haven’t had cable in over a decade now. But it was in the news a lot because of how wildly successful it was, especially for a movie not released in theaters, and how the film industry has reacted.
I don't watch the news either. Honestly, if our tv is on, it's usually a football game, or some kind of educational thing. I get my news from the paper, like old people lol.

Deleted User 1039

Unread post

agander2017 wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:38 am
agander2017 wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:43 am

Lol, I don't watch a lot of TV, so that's probably how I missed it. If that's what it's about, then no, it's not offensive I suppose. The challenge might be, because people aren't going to really die by looking at something.
Me, either. Haven’t had cable in over a decade now. But it was in the news a lot because of how wildly successful it was, especially for a movie not released in theaters, and how the film industry has reacted.
I don't watch the news either. Honestly, if our tv is on, it's usually a football game, or some kind of educational thing. I get my news from the paper, like old people lol.
I’m an “old person,” too. Lol. I listen to a lot of NPR. We have one television in the basement that used to be for the Xbox, but that has barely been touched in years.

You should really consider switching to a digital format, though. There are good reasons that printed papers are going extinct. Not only are you getting old news, but between paper production, printing, and distribution, and (hopefully) recycling, there’s a significant environmental impact. Plus, unless you are receiving multiple papers every morning, you are only getting your news from one source.

If you have an iPhone, the News app is a pretty nice one. You can program which sources you want to see (some you still have to pay for some if you want to read more than 3 articles a week or something), and then any special interests. Like I see no sports stories, but I see basically every whale-related story on any news outlet. Lol
agander2017
Monkey's Mama
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

SolidlyAverage wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:58 am
agander2017 wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:38 am

I’m an “old person,” too. Lol. I listen to a lot of NPR. We have one television in the basement that used to be for the Xbox, but that has barely been touched in years.

You should really consider switching to a digital format, though. There are good reasons that printed papers are going extinct. Not only are you getting old news, but between paper production, printing, and distribution, and (hopefully) recycling, there’s a significant environmental impact. Plus, unless you are receiving multiple papers every morning, you are only getting your news from one source.

If you have an iPhone, the News app is a pretty nice one. You can program which sources you want to see (some you still have to pay for some if you want to read more than 3 articles a week or something), and then any special interests. Like I see no sports stories, but I see basically every whale-related story on any news outlet. Lol
My MIL gets the paper, and reads it, then I get it from her. So by the time I read it, it's old news anyways lol. I don't have a lot of time to read anyways, my son keeps me pretty busy all day long. Sometimes I go to the library with him so he can play, and read the paper there if they have them. :)

Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 7 wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:37 am
Momto2boys973 wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:25 pm I agree with his. At best it’s dumb, at worst, it’s mildly insulting. Fact is, pretending to be blind for a little while won’t really give me the “blind experience” so that I can appreciate my eyesight.
Olioxenfree wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:39 pm I believe that it is problematic that some think that by wearing a blindfold for a while, which you did not grow up with and can take off at any time, you will in any way, shape, or form understand what a visually impaired person goes through. It's not so much as "learning appreciation for what it's like" to me as it is "playing blind."

That's funny. I am hearing impaired and I don't find it insulting at all! In fact I would be happy if someone walked a mile in my shoes.

In fact my dh had ear infection and his ear was plugged so for 2 days so he got a taste of what it was like to walk a mile in my shoes being hearing impaired. After he healed my dh told he I don't know how you do it. I couldn't hear anything. I told him welcome to my world. Just imagine being that way forever. That's me. Since then my dh understands my disability better. He doesn't get irritated when I ask what he just said a million times. And he just ask me to turn diwn the music or tv when I don't realize it's too loud and he put closed captioning on our tvs for me.

Some people aren't snowflakes or over sensitive about disabilities. I'm not. I have great respect for anyone who has a disability. There has been days when I had strut throat so bad that I couldn't speak so I would have to communicate a different way then talking. Or one more then one occasion I had to walk around with my eyes closed because of my allergies got so bad my eyes hurt. I don't know how they do it. But it did give me a greater appreciation for what senses I do have.
"I have great respect for anyone who has a disability", and yet you call them a snowflake and over sensitive if they don't feel exactly how you feel...
Locked Previous topicNext topic