McConnell Calls For Cutting Government Programs To Deal With ‘Disturbing’ Debt

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

KnotaDinghy wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:31 pm
Lemons wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:23 pm
KnotaDinghy wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:27 pm

I'm personally not speaking for all of Trump's base. I've been a solid fiscal conservative - even while being a moderate to liberal in terms of social policy.

Sure, some people saw more money in their paychecks. But the tax cuts to the 'rich' and 'corporations ' that she spoke about - the coffers will not see a hurt or net neutral result at this point. Quarterly taxes were estimated based on last year's tax rates. So what's being paid in has not (to this point) garnered a deficit.

I tend to think they are good tax breaks but the system will not show it for about 3 years.

Back to what I want - a balanced budget. I have not been a huge fan of the ballooning costs. President Trump promised cuts and I want a balanced budget. I think today's announcement was a great start - him holding the military budget to $700 billion (instead of the proposed $716 B).. and asking each area to reduce their budget by 5% (or more). I now want to see what is done. He needs to hold them accountable to this metric.

And I don't believe in everyone calling it cuts when all that is being done is reducing the budget. If last year was $500 million, budget this year builds in an automatic 16% increase but now they need to give back 5% so they only increase by11%. That really isn't a reduction in spending - that's promising to spend more but do so conservatively. It's a start but not where I'd like to see it.
The deficit went up 17% in 2018. It's heading to a trillion dollars. It's not a great help having the military budget going from 716 billion to 700 billion. Still way too high.

I don't see Trump and congress doing anything about issues that hit every day people.

1). Wage stagnation. Let's not continue to ignore it while our government gives tax cuts to the wealthiest individuals and corporations. Wages haven't gone up even with the huge tax cuts for business. There are tons of jobs out there but their wages are too low to sustain a family.

2) Health care costs continue to increase. Trump has all but forgotten his repeal and replace promises and how it was going to be "so easy" to do. Trump spent a little time taking things away from obamacare without adding any value to it.

3). College costs. Congress needs to find a solution to make higher education more affordable in order for our citizens to compete with the rest of the world.

If Trump talked about real people problems at his rallies rather than brag about himself and insult anyone he doesn't like maybe more people would have respect for him.
I do hope you saw where I said I want a balanced budget and am not real happy with the spending we cannot afford?

Wages have slightly risen which is good. Health care has not been fixed by any party or Administration. The Democrats tried shoving over priced, mostly useless medical insurance on us and that didn't help. We do, as a country, need to find ways to make health care more cost effective - should be based on what people can pay but everyone should pay something. It's a private industry and we regulate it too much.

Same for college costs - we need the government to stay out of education. The more involvement the higher the costs. And it's a shame. But with the way the world of work is changing, it isn't college where we need to make a difference in education. It's at the primary and secondary levels.
If wages are adjusted for inflation, they haven't gone up. As for healthcare, the republicans are in control and have done nothing but trash Obamacare. Instead of trying to work out the problems, they want to get rid of it and do nothing. I haven't heard of any solution from the party in charge.

As for college, we might want to look at more successful countries as role models. It's ridiculous to think that government shouldn't be involved in the betterment of its citizens. We don't have subsidized schools, we don't compete in the global world.

Trump's base needs to get the stars out of their eyes and demand fixes to problems that effect them directly.
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Linaluo wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:23 am
Murdoc's Mistress wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:52 pm We pay into social security. It's ours, not theirs to do as they wish because they can't leave shit well enough alone. For many disabled and seniors, it is their only income.

Start with taking away those tax cuts to the wealthy and corporations.

Maybe the GOP just needs to admit they want us to just die off and disappear.
This is why SS needs to be privatized
Oh, like union pensions?
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
libbylu
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Linaluo wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:23 am
Murdoc's Mistress wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:52 pm We pay into social security. It's ours, not theirs to do as they wish because they can't leave shit well enough alone. For many disabled and seniors, it is their only income.

Start with taking away those tax cuts to the wealthy and corporations.

Maybe the GOP just needs to admit they want us to just die off and disappear.
This is why SS needs to be privatized
No. Not that. Never.
Seashell77
Countess
Countess

Unread post

KnotaDinghy wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:14 am You really cannot blame the tax plan at this point. It went into affect January 1st and we haven't paid in against the new plan yet. Only time will tell if we lose revenue or remain neutral as a result.

McConnell is correct, we have a spending problem. Have had for at least 30 years. If they'd only pass a balanced budget - I'd be happy.
Seashell77 wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:20 am McConnell's call to cut money from Medicare, Social Security and Medicaid is a disgrace. Right after giving huge tax breaks to big corporations and the wealthiest in society too. Right after giving those tax cuts, of course our country's debt has skyrocketed. So the solution is to take money from the most vulnerable in society to fix the money problems created by the 2017 tax cuts. Yes, this totally makes sense......NOT!!!!!
The tax plan is costing American tax payers way too much in my opinion. We will be in terrible debt as a result. As far as cutting back cost with medicare and social security, it's not far to the elderly people who payed into those programs all of these years.
Seashell77
Countess
Countess

Unread post

Billie.jeens wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:38 am
Seashell77 wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:20 am McConnell's call to cut money from Medicare, Social Security and Medicaid is a disgrace. Right after giving huge tax breaks to big corporations and the wealthiest in society too. Right after giving those tax cuts, of course our country's debt has skyrocketed. So the solution is to take money from the most vulnerable in society to fix the money problems created by the 2017 tax cuts. Yes, this totally makes sense......NOT!!!!!

Absoluetly none of the paragraph is true.
McConnell announced his plan to make cuts to those programs.
Seashell77
Countess
Countess

Unread post

pinkbutterfly66 wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:27 am The Republicans have been trying to eliminate Medicare and Social Security for years. And the working class and rural poor (ie their base) keeps voting for these schmucks.
It's hard to understand. I agree with you.
Seashell77
Countess
Countess

Unread post

Lemons wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:09 pm
KnotaDinghy wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:14 am You really cannot blame the tax plan at this point. It went into affect January 1st and we haven't paid in against the new plan yet. Only time will tell if we lose revenue or remain neutral as a result.

McConnell is correct, we have a spending problem. Have had for at least 30 years. If they'd only pass a balanced budget - I'd be happy.
According to Trump’s base the tax cut has had huge benefits for people who saw it in their paychecks right away. You can’t have it both ways.

We don’t need to wait and see regarding the tax cut. Taxes were cut, spending was increased. What do you think will happen? At least be honest about it.
Exactly!!!! Very well said!
libbylu
Regent
Regent

Unread post

pinkbutterfly66 wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:27 am The Republicans have been trying to eliminate Medicare and Social Security for years. And the working class and rural poor (ie their base) keeps voting for these schmucks.
They’re clueless.
They honestly don’t know what’s happening.
KnotaDinghy
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Seashell77 wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:15 pm

The tax plan is costing American tax payers way too much in my opinion. We will be in terrible debt as a result. As far as cutting back cost with medicare and social security, it's not far to the elderly people who payed into those programs all of these years.
How is the tax plan costing tax payers?

We have been in terrible debt - for many years - due to both parties. That is not Trump's fault. I'd like him to solve the issue, but he didn't get us here.

People crying about him cutting spending are the ones getting us into more debt. And since I started working MANY years ago, I've heard about these programs running out of funding - again this is nothing new.

However, if programs are brought back into line where a budget can be balanced, people who need and rely on the programs will have what they need while others will be forced to get off their asses and work themselves.
“You’re either on drugs or retarded.
Nobody posts the crap you post unless they’re abnormal.” - derp
KnotaDinghy
Regent
Regent

Unread post

libbylu wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:23 pm
They’re clueless.
They honestly don’t know what’s happening.
Ok. Please share. What exactly is happening?

Before you reply, just don't if your only answer is to dodge the question and say 'go research'. You are saying something is happening - so please explain.
“You’re either on drugs or retarded.
Nobody posts the crap you post unless they’re abnormal.” - derp
Locked Previous topicNext topic