They want to earn money

carterscutie85
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I would also see if neighbors need help like yard work, etc. Around here lots of kids go door to door asking if they can mow lawns for money and people take them up on it. Usually about $10-15 a lawn is the going rate.

Unread post

Vanillacupcake wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:32 am I would give them a cushion of more than $26. If the girls want popcorn and drinks that may not be enough. You wouldn't want the boys to be embarrassed. Just be sure to explain what the extra money is for so they don't think they can spend it at will!
Are you factoring in drinks and tip at the restaurant?
Guest wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:35 am
AsteroidStar wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:56 pm Dinner and a movie for 4 people, plus potential snacks/drinks at the theater, is going to be a lot more than 100.00, unless they do a dollar menu at a fast food place. Movies are expensive now.

Mow the lawn
Clean the garage
Wash/vacuum car
Clean out the refrigerator
Clean out the dryer vent hose
Clean behind the oven and the refrigerator
The movies are $6 per person so that is $24. And they will do the Buffet which is abour $50 for all 4
Ill make it where they're capable of making more. That is just the minimum amount they will need but maybe we should make it $150.
Deleted User 670

Unread post

Ask neighbors if they need any yard work, windows washed, garages cleaned out, etc. I'd hire them in a hot minute. I have some bushes that need to be dug up and others trimmed due to all the rain we've been getting.
Deleted User 638

Unread post

Olioxenfree wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:02 pm
Guest wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:57 am
Olioxenfree wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:56 am What state do you live in where they can't get jobs? Working age is 14 in just about every state. If there are other reasons why they can't get actual jobs, they just seem too old to me to get paid for doing household chores for mom. I would tell them to go around the neighborhood and wash some cars, mow laws, clean yards, babysit, etc.
Im not going state my state but where do you live where you can work at 15. Ive live in 2 states and both you had to be 16 unless you entered a work program through the school
NY. I actually can't find a single state where you have to be over 14 to get a work permit, as long as you are not working during school hours.

Whay difference does it make? That's not what she was asking about.
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

AnnieArk wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:36 pm
Guest wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:57 am

Im not going state my state but where do you live where you can work at 15. Ive live in 2 states and both you had to be 16 unless you entered a work program through the school
NY. I actually can't find a single state where you have to be over 14 to get a work permit, as long as you are not working during school hours.

She's asking how they could earn money. She said they couldn't work because of their age. I was just pointing out that their age isn't a legal obstacle, in case she didn't know that, and gave alternative options for how they could earn money if there is another reason why she doesn't want them to have jobs.
Poietes
Regent
Regent

Unread post

TheMomster wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:24 am
Guest wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:35 am
AsteroidStar wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:56 pm Dinner and a movie for 4 people, plus potential snacks/drinks at the theater, is going to be a lot more than 100.00, unless they do a dollar menu at a fast food place. Movies are expensive now.

Mow the lawn
Clean the garage
Wash/vacuum car
Clean out the refrigerator
Clean out the dryer vent hose
Clean behind the oven and the refrigerator
The movies are $6 per person so that is $24. And they will do the Buffet which is abour $50 for all 4
Wow, where do you live that movies are $6. They havent been that price since the early 90s here!
We have a $3 theater that is only about a month behind in the movies they show.
”Just because you can doesn’t mean you should.”
Poietes
Regent
Regent

Unread post

MeAF wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:06 am
Olioxenfree wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:56 am What state do you live in where they can't get jobs? Working age is 14 in just about every state. If there are other reasons why they can't get actual jobs, they just seem too old to me to get paid for doing household chores for mom. I would tell them to go around the neighborhood and wash some cars, mow laws, clean yards, babysit, etc.
Most places around here won't hire you until you're sixteen even though the kids can get a work permit when they're 14.
I've never even heard of a work permit until I came on here. It's not something that is done here at all.
”Just because you can doesn’t mean you should.”
That'swhatshesaid
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Poietes wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:08 pm
MeAF wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:06 am
Most places around here won't hire you until you're sixteen even though the kids can get a work permit when they're 14.
I've never even heard of a work permit until I came on here. It's not something that is done here at all.
I grew up in SC and there's no such thing as a work permit there. I never heard of a work permit until a few years ago when my oldest son mentioned getting a job. You have to go to your local high school and get the permit. Even with a permit, there are only a few places that will hire younger than 16 in this area. My oldest son got his first job when he was 15 at a local restaurant but he was limited as to what he was allowed to do. He was a busboy. He worked there until he turned 16 and could get hired at Arbys.
Deleted User 638

Unread post

Olioxenfree wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:03 pm

She's asking how they could earn money. She said they couldn't work because of their age. I was just pointing out that their age isn't a legal obstacle, in case she didn't know that, and gave alternative options for how they could earn money if there is another reason why she doesn't want them to have jobs.

She knows more about where she lives than we do. She could also have meant that places in her area don't hire 15 year olds even though it's legal. Most places around here won't hire anyone under 16 because of transportation issues.

I've never heard of a work permit. Who issues them in NY?
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

AnnieArk wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:04 pm
Olioxenfree wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:03 pm

She knows more about where she lives than we do. She could also have meant that places in her area don't hire 15 year olds even though it's legal. Most places around here won't hire anyone under 16 because of transportation issues.

I've never heard of a work permit. Who issues them in NY?
Which is why I asked her what state she was in and gave other options for if she has other reasons for not wanting them to work. Get off my back, I just was letting her know in case that was the only reason she wasn't having them get a job. If she has other reasons, I don't care, I was just throwing it out there.
As for work permits:
https://labor.ny.gov/workerprotection/l ... phmpg.shtm
Locked Previous topicNext topic