Drug addiction choice or not

TheMomster
Countess
Countess

Anon drugs wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:47 am
TheQueenOfEverything wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:37 am I think it’s funny when people form deeply held convictions about things when they have absolutely no idea what they are talking about, like, at all.
Anon drugs wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:50 am A lot of people think it isn't a choice. I disagree. Anyone over the age of 12 knows drugs are bad. They are addictive. You may not have a choice once you become addicted but the addiction itself was a choice. You choose to do drugs that lead to the addiction.

The reason I have never been addicted to drugs is because I CHOOSE to not do drugs. In my youth, in the past I have been around people who did drugs and they were offered to me but i always turned them down.

The only exception to the rule that I believe maybe pill addiction . Pain pills addiction is bad around here. I can see that starting due to an injury. Or people being addicted to nerve pills. But addiction to drugs like coke, crank, meth, crack, heroin etc I believe all starts with a choice.

Wdyt?

That is the thing I do know what I am talking about. I have a brother who is addict. My mom was an alcoholic, her husband was an alcoholic, I was in a 3 yr relationship with a crack addict, my nephew was a addict, and my dd boyfriend is addict. I have spent my whole life around addicts. My convictions come from life experience.
Then you must know that prescription opiates and heroin go hand in hand and people with a legitimate doctor prescribed addiction to percs, vicodin, etc will often turn to heroin because it is cheaper and easier to get when the doctor that got them hooked can no longer prescribe what they need for maintenance because of stricter laws etc.
Anon drugs

Anonymous100 wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:46 am It’s a ton more complicated then yes it’s a choice or no it’s not a choice. It’s a biological genetic thing. It’s a cultural thing. It’s a family issue.

I believe some people are just more biologically predisposed to be an addict. And depending on how you are raised it can be a family issue. Each situation is unique.

For example...imagine you are born into a family of drug use. You are young and drug use is the norm. Young children are impressionable. As a child you are exposed to pot. Then as a preteen you take your first hit of Meth. I’ve heard people describe their first use of Meth and it is an amazing feeling, so I’ve been told. It triggers a deep seeded addiction and you become an addict. Is that a choice?

I know soneone who has tried Meth. Did not become addicted. However their family has no addicts in it. Thier genetic pool doesn’t favor addiction. Another person may have tried it once and been an addict upon first try.

It’s simply not fair to compare people and label. It’s more complicated that that and it’s a social and family issue.

It is a choice to do it to begin with. Everyone knows when you try drugs you take the chance of becoming an addict.

TheMomster wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:52 am
TheQueenOfEverything wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:37 am I think it’s funny when people form deeply held convictions about things when they have absolutely no idea what they are talking about, like, at all.

That is the thing I do know what I am talking about. I have a brother who is addict. My mom was an alcoholic, her husband was an alcoholic, I was in a 3 yr relationship with a crack addict, my nephew was a addict, and my dd boyfriend is addict. I have spent my whole life around addicts. My convictions come from life experience.
Then you must know that prescription opiates and heroin go hand in hand and people with a legitimate doctor prescribed addiction to percs, vicodin, etc will often turn to heroin because it is cheaper and easier to get when the doctor that got them hooked can no longer prescribe what they need for maintenance because of stricter laws etc.
Only 1% of people who did not have addiction before prescription medications will have one after. What you are talking about is very rare.
TheMomster
Countess
Countess

Anon drugs wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:51 am
Spunky wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:49 am Addiction isn't a choice.

I diasgree. People choose to do the drugs that lead to addiction. If you never choose to do the drugs then you won't become able addict.
So what about people who become addicted to opiates through a legitimate doctors prescription?
TheMomster
Countess
Countess

Guest wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:53 am

Only 1% of people who did not have addiction before prescription medications will have one after. What you are talking about is very rare.
Please show me the ass you pulled that statistic from.
Anon drugs

My brother is addicted opiates. Has been for yrs. He has never used heroin . As i said in my OP opiate addiction is maybe an exception to the rule.

TheMomster wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:55 am
Guest wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:53 am

Please show me the ass you pulled that statistic from.
You will have to wait until I get home. It came directly from my nursing school text book. I will post a picture
TheMomster
Countess
Countess

Anon drugs wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:55 am

My brother is addicted opiates. Has been for yrs. He has never used heroin . As i said in my OP opiate addiction is maybe an exception to the rule.
Oh FFS heroin is an opiate.
Anon drugs

TheMomster wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:54 am
Anon drugs wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:51 am
Spunky wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:49 am Addiction isn't a choice.

I diasgree. People choose to do the drugs that lead to addiction. If you never choose to do the drugs then you won't become able addict.
So what about people who become addicted to opiates through a legitimate doctors prescription?

I started in my OP that opiates addiction maybe an exception
Anon drugs

TheMomster wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:56 am
Anon drugs wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:55 am

Oh FFS heroin is an opiate.

That is why I said pain pills in op. Learn go read
Locked Previous topicNext topic