Got my dna results and I’m.....

sheramom4
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

I can't wait to do mine. My cousin did one and came up with 23% Native American which is a lot more than we thought. Her dad's side has zero (confirmed) so that is all on our side. I am very curious. I have always thought that I was 99% English and Western European with very little NA.
MistressMonster
Sour Grapes
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I want to get one of those kits at some point. My mom is adopted. Which is annoying when filling out the info packs for the dr's office.
The oranges of the island are like blazing fire
Amongst the emerald boughs
And the lemons are like the paleness of a lover
Who has spent the night crying.

My soul was ripped to shreds on 10/27/14
Anonymous 7

Unread post

I thought for sure that when I opened this post it was going to say, "I just took a DNA test...Turns out I'm a 100% that bitch...":

[media] [/media]

:lol:
Linda_Runs
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

CBC Marketplace particularly, but also more than one American science research company, all did in depth articles on this. They basically said that the results are less than one percent accurate. The best they can do is tell you the continent that your DNA can be from with only a 50% probability. To test this, two journalist twins independently sent their DNA to five different companies. According to the results, they not only are not twins, but they are from different backgrounds.

A genetics professor at McGill University said that the kits should be used as entertainment only and have little if any bearing on their customer's genealogy.
highlandmum
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Anonymous 3 wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:53 pm
carterscutie85 wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:59 pm
Anonymous 5 wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:19 pm

At least someone gets it instead of blindly following this trend.

Did you know there's some sort of thing for people to send in their dog crap? I work in the post office and was sorting out mail and noticed a carrier had put one box back where it shouldn't be. Basically the size of one of those DNA box things. Pick it up. WTF? Smelled like crap. So I read the box. Yep. People send in their dog crap for some reason or other. Gross.

It could be checking for parasites other than at the vet. My dog's vet always requests a stool sample to check for parasites.
They also do it to check breed
I have heard about the dog ones but everyone I have heard about you swab the dogs cheek.
Sassyfrass01
Viscountess
Viscountess

Unread post

Anonymous 2 wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:14 pm No, we knew what our results would be and they came back exactly that

Wait I didn't word that right....
I can't imagine not knowing what my exact DNA/Ancestry would be. What person doesn't know this important information about their own famly? :lol:
I've wanted to do the 23 and me one for a while with the health screening so I know exactly how far back a couple of medical conditions goes.
My Mom was always against it cause she was afraid it would open the door to problems with my Moms mothers biological family. We havent spoke to them since I was 6yrs old.
Deleted User 172

Unread post

Sassyfrass01 wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:35 pm
Anonymous 2 wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:14 pm No, we knew what our results would be and they came back exactly that

I can't imagine not knowing what my exact DNA/Ancestry would be. What person doesn't know this important information about their own famly? :lol:
I've wanted to do the 23 and me one for a while with the health screening so I know exactly how far back a couple of medical conditions goes.
My Mom was always against it cause she was afraid it would open the door to problems with my Moms mothers biological family. We havent spoke to them since I was 6yrs old.
I did 23andme. My health screening didn't screen like you want it to. It just showed if I have the genetic markers for lots of different health issues like BRCA and Parkinson and so on. Genetic related stuff.
Idk, I'd call and ask before spending the money of you have specific health things you want to know about.
Anonymous 8

Unread post

Mine wasn't very surprising, but I was able to track down some family that was long lost due to adoptions. My husband is German and was surprised to learn he has some Jewish ancestry.
Anonymous 9

Unread post

Anonymous 3 wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:36 pm

Its reaaly not that important. Not to mention you basically gave these companies carte blanche to.use and sell your DNA however they want. My SIL bought a bunch for the family on black friday. They got thrown in the trash
Just out of curiosity, what do you think they are going to use your dna for? Is there some conspiracy for these company stealing our dna? Clones maybe?
Anonymous 3

Unread post

Anonymous 9 wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:45 am
Anonymous 3 wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:36 pm

Its reaaly not that important. Not to mention you basically gave these companies carte blanche to.use and sell your DNA however they want. My SIL bought a bunch for the family on black friday. They got thrown in the trash
Just out of curiosity, what do you think they are going to use your dna for? Is there some conspiracy for these company stealing our dna? Clones maybe?
They don't have to steal it because you have already given it to them. It means you could be denied or charged higher for Life insurance and Long term Care insurance. They sell your dba to drug pharmeseutical companies and makes it really easy for Law enforcement to get a hold of your DNA
Locked Previous topicNext topic