If you host

famousglm714
Regent
Regent

I would be a wreck the whole week leading up to it and a complete mess the day of. That’s why I don’t host anything, lol. It’s just too much for me. To me it’s stressful to have a lot of people in my house and I barely even cook dinner so making a huge spread would put me into a tailspin, lol. I’d be grumpy too.
Anonymous 1

Hold against? It was an observation. It's not like I said we will never go there again for a holiday..that would be holding it against her. And actually there are plenty of things she could do to try to make herself not be stressed. You can always work on bettering yourself in many different ways.
Olioxenfree wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:41 pm That's an odd thing to hold against your mil. It's not like she can just make herself not be stressed.
PurpleTurtle
Viscountess
Viscountess

Hosting doesn't stress me out. I have the meal planned and written on my white board ahead of time so I can see quickly what needs to go on when. We're pretty laid back so if something goes wrong, we just roll with it. I figure worst case, there's always pizza.
Msprekteacher
Regent
Regent

I stress to the max before people arrive. Then I chill because I realize at the end of the day that it doesn’t really matter.
lauren08
Regent
Regent

Not really. I love cooking, and dh and all my daughters help out too. It can be a bit stressful if it's for a lot of people, but I just make sure to start early and make lists of everything to stay organized and on track.
Lolabearlow
Duchess
Duchess

No, I just get into the zone and I’m fine. My sil is like that though and then she and her DH start to bicker and shit gets awkward quick...
I usually host, lol.
Anonymous 1

OMG! I know! That's how my SIL is too when she hosts anything! It's so awkward!!!!
Lolabearlow wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:43 pm No, I just get into the zone and I’m fine. My sil is like that though and then she and her DH start to bicker and shit gets awkward quick...
I usually host, lol.
Anonymous 1

His stress would stress me out as well!
SisterSomeone wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:09 pm My husband does. He generally likes cooking and calls it a hobby, but he sucks at cooking for large groups of people. He goes on rants about whether everything will be ready in time, will it turn out right, is there enough food, what he he fucks up this or that or the other, what if nobody likes xyz, will he get any time to socialize between the cooking... Gaah. His stressing stresses me out and then neither of us has any fun. This is why we have holidays and big gatherings catered.
mrsmacgiver
Regent
Regent

My mom is very judgmental and I've always wanted her approval. In the past, I stressed out big time. I would make everyone clean the house for hours each day, then I would exhaust myself trying to cook the perfect meal and be the perfect hostess.

This year, I said f**k it. We cleaned the house on the Monday before Thanksgiving. I didn't even put that much effort into cooking and I ordered a turkey. The food wasn't great and I don't really care. I will do better with the food next year but I will not stress myself out anymore.
Anonymous 1

That sucks your mom is that way (I have a mom like that too) but that is awesome you didn't care as much this year! I feel every year I get a little better with not caring. It's just food and we live in our house..it's not a museum where everything has to be perfect!
mrsmacgiver wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:05 am My mom is very judgmental and I've always wanted her approval. In the past, I stressed out big time. I would make everyone clean the house for hours each day, then I would exhaust myself trying to cook the perfect meal and be the perfect hostess.

This year, I said f**k it. We cleaned the house on the Monday before Thanksgiving. I didn't even put that much effort into cooking and I ordered a turkey. The food wasn't great and I don't really care. I will do better with the food next year but I will not stress myself out anymore.
Locked Previous topicNext topic