Forgiving unpaid student loans

JoJo728
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

College costs have gotten out of control. As a result, even with savings and scholarships, it is difficult to get through school without some type of loan for certain careers. The system needs revamping so that college is more affordable for all. I do not believe in free college. Students need to have some skin in the game. Maybe a sliding scale based on resources and there needs to be a GPA requirement for reduced tuition.

I do not believe in forgiving college loans. You can keep loans to a minimum by making smart choices in where you go to school, in working, in applying for scholarships, etc.
EarlGrayHot
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Some loan debts can be forgiven if you do certain things, such as teach in certain areas. I don't think this means no one pays-I thought it meant the government pays it off for you. I'd add certain restrictions such as only if you make average or above average grades. It might also be just paid off half of what you borrowed. I do think people could use some help, especially if you are going for a specialty such as getting a degree in nursing or becoming a doctor or a lab technician. We desperately need more doctors and nurses.
Oliviasmom72
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

WOW WHAT A sweet deal! I would have agreed to work for them for 4 years for a free college education, providing some salary was paid of course.

RedBottoms wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:03 pm
Oliviasmom72 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:01 pm I am totally against this in most cases EXCEPT for in fields that are in demand and the person is working in that field.

I know a lot of people who take out student loans then do nothing with their lives or their education. It seems like a rite of passage in the US. I paid for a trade school I took years ago and didn't go into debt.
My friend had finagled her job to pay for her college. If she agreed to work for them for 4 years after getting her degree and work for them while in school-they would pay all tuition and books. So that is a sweet deal
Rebeccaraev2
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

RedBottoms wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:01 pm
Anonymous 4 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:46 pm For some careers, I'd be all for it. Doctors for example, , which we desperately need. Teachers, Engineers, etc. If there's a shortage of qualified people for a certain field, we should give an incentive to fill it.
I love this! I know that the doctors that specialize in autism and other disorders for children I think they call them behavioral pediatricians or something like that were in VAST demand. That is why kids have to wait 2 years on a waiting list sometimes just to be seen. I heard they were basically forgiving their student loans to entice people to go into it
Don't know why that made me anon. I didn't think I clicked it...
Either way, it's definitely something I'm all for. If only our government was for it too!
Deleted User 114

Unread post

I believe most loans (college or otherwise) should be repaid in full but there is undeniable benefit in allowing a tuition waiver for those entering certain fields and especially contracts in those fields. Rather than a loan forgiveness, I am indicating there not be a need for a loan in the first place.. tuition waiver plus grant for related expenses.
Anonymous 3

Unread post

There are many employers that offer that benefit. For the student whose parents aren't assisting him or the student whose parent doesn't qualify for grants, it's one way a kid can get a full ride through college!

While I do agree that tuition has gotten a bit out of control, I believe there is still a way to get it done. In fact, I think there are more ways now than there ever was. I highly recommend that parents (or students!) start the process of researching all that's available AS EARLY AS THEIR FRESHMAN YEAR IN HIGH SCHOOL. The time devoted to the search is well worth it!
Oliviasmom72 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:01 pm I am totally against this in most cases EXCEPT for in fields that are in demand and the person is working in that field.

I know a lot of people who take out student loans then do nothing with their lives or their education. It seems like a rite of passage in the US. I paid for a trade school I took years ago and didn't go into debt.
My friend had finagled her job to pay for her college. If she agreed to work for them for 4 years after getting her degree and work for them while in school-they would pay all tuition and books. So that is a sweet deal
Anonymous 6

Unread post

yeah my cousin that is horrible with money and would get extra money with her student loans "to live off of" got some of her loans forgiven. i felt like that was annoying because me and DH cashed in his 401k to pay off his student loans because the monthly payment got too much for us (it was a gradual increase each year). i don't know if there were qualifications and stuff that you had to go through to get the loans forgiven so if so, we might not have qualified..who knows. but i thought it was annoying since my cousin blows all of her money on alcohol and whatever she wants and doesn't pay her bills and then her loans are forgiven. doesn't make sense.
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Oliviasmom72 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:11 pm WOW WHAT A sweet deal! I would have agreed to work for them for 4 years for a free college education, providing some salary was paid of course.

Many large corporations will reimburse tuition costs for degrees that can be used in your field. I took many such classes (post-grad) and also got several certifications. It is a potential perk to consider when applying for a job, along with salary, benefits, retirement accounts, etc.
Anonymous 7

Unread post

Please, no more sliding scales! Why should people be rewarded for having less and penalized for having more?

My family, for example, earns well above the median US income. But we live in a region of the country with a higher living cost, leaving us comfortable but not wealthy. Why should I have to fully fund my child’s college but the guy two streets over gets a break because he earns less money?
JoJo728 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:05 pm College costs have gotten out of control. As a result, even with savings and scholarships, it is difficult to get through school without some type of loan for certain careers. The system needs revamping so that college is more affordable for all. I do not believe in free college. Students need to have some skin in the game. Maybe a sliding scale based on resources and there needs to be a GPA requirement for reduced tuition.

I do not believe in forgiving college loans. You can keep loans to a minimum by making smart choices in where you go to school, in working, in applying for scholarships, etc.
JoJo728
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

I said maybe. Being realistic - it is a sliding scale regardless. How do you think it is going to be funded - through tax dollars. so one way or another the higher incomes are going to pay more than lower incomes.
Anonymous 7 wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:34 am Please, no more sliding scales! Why should people be rewarded for having less and penalized for having more?

My family, for example, earns well above the median US income. But we live in a region of the country with a higher living cost, leaving us comfortable but not wealthy. Why should I have to fully fund my child’s college but the guy two streets over gets a break because he earns less money?
JoJo728 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:05 pm College costs have gotten out of control. As a result, even with savings and scholarships, it is difficult to get through school without some type of loan for certain careers. The system needs revamping so that college is more affordable for all. I do not believe in free college. Students need to have some skin in the game. Maybe a sliding scale based on resources and there needs to be a GPA requirement for reduced tuition.

Locked Previous topicNext topic