Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

it was on GMA so yes.
Anonymous 5

Unread post

SolidlyAverage wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:23 am
Momto2boys973 wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:25 pm I agree with his. At best it’s dumb, at worst, it’s mildly insulting. Fact is, pretending to be blind for a little while won’t really give me the “blind experience” so that I can appreciate my eyesight.
Olioxenfree wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:39 pm I believe that it is problematic that some think that by wearing a blindfold for a while, which you did not grow up with and can take off at any time, you will in any way, shape, or form understand what a visually impaired person goes through. It's not so much as "learning appreciation for what it's like" to me as it is "playing blind."
It’s called the “Bird Box” challenge. I don’t know why you guys think it’s supposed to simulate a disability.
Because some posters aren't happy until they find something they can call offensive so they have a reason to bitch and moan. I think it's a stupid challenge but hey at least they aren't eating laundry detergent anymore.
Anonymous 6

Unread post

Momto2boys973 wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:25 pm I agree with his. At best it’s dumb, at worst, it’s mildly insulting. Fact is, pretending to be blind for a little while won’t really give me the “blind experience” so that I can appreciate my eyesight.
Olioxenfree wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:39 pm I believe that it is problematic that some think that by wearing a blindfold for a while, which you did not grow up with and can take off at any time, you will in any way, shape, or form understand what a visually impaired person goes through. It's not so much as "learning appreciation for what it's like" to me as it is "playing blind."
I was given a similar challenge in college for my asl class. I had to wear earplugs all day in a public place and they had to be discreet ones.
So apparently not everyone would consider stuff like that offensive. It was assigned by a deaf professor. I absolutely loved that class.
Valentina327
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Olioxenfree wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:48 pm
My son is hearing impaired in one ear. He wears a hearing aid. Someone did a program at his school where they had the kids put on noise-canceling headphones and they could only speak through signs and writing. The kids did not walk out of the classroom with a better understanding of my son. They walked out thinking how funny and cool it was to not be able to hear. As soon as it got hard, they just took their headphones off and the game was over.
They had no way of understanding all of the small obstacles my son goes through day to day, such as needing different headphones or having to sit in a certain part of the classroom or movie theater, and the big ones, such as being called stupid because he didn't hear someone properly, being yelled at by an employee while we were at the airport because he had to take his hearing aid off to go through the metal detector and couldn't hear the employees instructions, or that it may limit his job opportunities when he gets older. That is why I am against these immersive experiences that are supposed to teach people someone else's lifestyle in just a few minutes.
That must have been really rough for him to witness.
Let's Go Brandon!
#FJB

https://openvaers.com/
agander2017
Monkey's Mama
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

SolidlyAverage wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:57 am
agander2017 wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:45 am I'm going to say no. Being blind is a lot more than not being able to see. What about those that can't tell day from night, and are constantly confused? What about not being able to know where you are going, or how to get somewhere?

I think this challenge is very insulting to those that can't see. They need to not do this.
Do you think the movie is insulting to blind people?
I haven't heard anything about the movie, but I could see how some people could find insulting if it's anything like the challenge I read about here.

Deleted User 1039

Unread post

agander2017 wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:03 am
agander2017 wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:45 am I'm going to say no. Being blind is a lot more than not being able to see. What about those that can't tell day from night, and are constantly confused? What about not being able to know where you are going, or how to get somewhere?

I think this challenge is very insulting to those that can't see. They need to not do this.
I haven't heard anything about the movie, but I could see how some people could find insulting if it's anything like the challenge I read about here.
It’s a thriller where you can’t look at what’s outside or you die. Also, I’m really impressed that you managed to have not heard about it! I don’t think I could have kept up with the news and managed to not know anything about it!

In the movie, people blindfold themselves when they go outside so they can’t see the things and die. It has nothing to do with disability or blindness. It would be offensive to blind people if they were also offended by kids playing Pin The Tail On Donkey.
agander2017
Monkey's Mama
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

SolidlyAverage wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:40 am

It’s a thriller where you can’t look at what’s outside or you die. Also, I’m really impressed that you managed to have not heard about it! I don’t think I could have kept up with the news and managed to not know anything about it!

In the movie, people blindfold themselves when they go outside so they can’t see the things and die. It has nothing to do with disability or blindness. It would be offensive to blind people if they were also offended by kids playing Pin The Tail On Donkey.
Lol, I don't watch a lot of TV, so that's probably how I missed it. If that's what it's about, then no, it's not offensive I suppose. The challenge might be, because people aren't going to really die by looking at something.

Deleted User 1039

Unread post

agander2017 wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:43 am
SolidlyAverage wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:40 am

Lol, I don't watch a lot of TV, so that's probably how I missed it. If that's what it's about, then no, it's not offensive I suppose. The challenge might be, because people aren't going to really die by looking at something.
Me, either. Haven’t had cable in over a decade now. But it was in the news a lot because of how wildly successful it was, especially for a movie not released in theaters, and how the film industry has reacted.
leadfoot40
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Nay, how dumb
Conweis
Regent
Regent

Unread post

In cub scouts the kids do something similar to learn about different disabilities. Blindfolded for blind, vaseline on googles for sight impaired, noise cancelling headphones for deaf and mobility restriction techniques. After hey try to do everyday simple things like walking round a room, trying to hold a cup and/or have a conversation we discuss the challenges they faced. The scouts usually learn the world is not for people with disabilities and we as a pele can do simple things o be considerate for our fellow people.
My oldest came in and talked about the difficulties he has with communicating with people because of his disabilities.
Locked Previous topicNext topic