Florida textbook altered to remove references to Rosa Parks’s race: report

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Carpy
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Thelma Harper wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 2:08 pm
SouthernIslander wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 1:14 pm
Thelma Harper wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 12:51 pm

😯
And I owe you an apology as well. When all this went down, I thought it was you but it wasn't. I never would have bought this up but I"m tired of the bullshit and I be damned if anyone in this group thinks they can use Black members as attack dogs or micromanage how we think.

I can only speak for me (not all Black people). I don't care how they fight with each other but don't force that shit off on us (black people) if they don't want to deal with an angry black woman instead of villainizing us for it. .
Why in the world did you think it was me?!
You just look like you're guilty. Jk
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Thelma Harper wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 12:51 pm

😯
And I owe you an apology as well. When all this went down, I thought it was you but it wasn't. I never would have bought this up but I"m tired of the bullshit and I be damned if anyone in this group thinks they can use Black members as attack dogs or micromanage how we think.

I can only speak for me (not all Black people). I don't care how they fight with each other but don't force that shit off on us (black people) if they don't want to deal with an angry black woman instead of villainizing us for it. .
I’m PM you a little later.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Lemons wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 1:27 pm
SouthernIslander wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 12:34 pm
Lemons wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 2:05 pm

I’ve never written anything except public posts so there’s no way I could say anything about you behind your back.
Thats a lie. You had to talk to someone to know what's being said behind my back and Mrs. Andre invited me to the group who conspired to get all the conservative member kicked out of the group and you were cc'd on an email I got from the leader who will remain nameless because at least she had the balls to have a conversation with me about this to my face.

LGA started that fight by wishing death on a child in DSam's home. The response was to get all the conservative ladies kicked out of the group and have a Karen style "I'm so scared of her" racist conversation about Couture for simply speaking to Carpy.

Actions speak louder than words and even though screen names have changed. Behavior tells everything. So this goes for anyone who was privy to that conversation and you because you fucked up by taking my apology as a sign of weakness and cocky that somebody finally put the "angry black woman" in her place.

Ya'll have no room to talk about BJ and playing this white Saviour complex because I have seen ya'll say the same shit about Black women behind closed doors.

So no, Bacon did not call me out because I really don't think she knows the history behind this and why I have been on white liberals since ya'll flipped on Couture like that. Again, I am not dropping names because there are members that I truly know took that to self-reflect and improve but I'm not gonna be nice to the people who hasn't. And I don't need to disobey group rules, dox or launch report wars to do it because that shit went too far no matter who did it.

If you were not a part of that conversation, I'm still talking to you because I can see the mentality has rubbed off on you and I'm letting you know now I want no parts of that or treating conservatives differently because ya'll don't like them. ITs none of your F***ing business.

What the f**k are you talking about you ? Who is Mrs. Andre, who is LGA? What email are you talking about. I was not part of some group to remove conservatives? Send me a message with my supposed email.
I said you were cc’d, not sent the email and if you weren’t in that group I’m still talking to you because you have that same mentality.

Learn from it and move on because you are guilty of the same behavior.
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Carpy wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 2:19 pm

It's the glasses! LOL.
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Carpy wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 2:19 pm

Lol. No, it wasn’t anything she did. Listening to gossip that so shouldn’t have to make a long story short.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Carpy wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 1:25 pm
WellPreserved wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 1:00 pm
SouthernIslander wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 12:40 pm

Qu, may I ask you a question...

Who educated you on Black history or was it self-taught? People like you and Wells have a good grasp that I don't see often.
Not trying to answer for Quora but she and I had a similar educational experience (she with DOD schools and me with American International Schools). I would say that my educational experience gave me a good foundation. The pivotal moment for me, however, was my first job out of college where I worked at a DC law firm as a legal assistant. I was assigned to a senior partner - Vernon Jordan. He convinced me that I really didn't know anything so prompted me to become "self-taught". Wisest words he ever said to me were: "God gave you two ears and one mouth. Take that as a hint."

Left law firm and went into Foreign Service which had been traditionally "male, pale, and Yale" and frantically trying to diversify during the Clinton administration. I listened a lot to my fellow minority co-worker's tales of their lived experiences. It's taken me awhile to read up on systemic racism but that journey began with watching Jon Stewart interview Bryon Stevenson on "The Daily Show" which led me reading his book, led me to Michelle Alexander, led me to numerous other writers both past and present. Most recently, I have been working on grant work with USDA which led me to reading about the systemic racism in the USDA, lending practices, etc.

I don't claim to be an expert AT ALL and am still learning but I just go back to what Vernon said to me.
Listening to lived experience is the best way to learn
It is! Everything from minority experience to baking biscuits.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Lemons wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 1:16 pm
SouthernIslander wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 11:48 am
Lemons wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 2:05 pm

This whole post started with Florida and other red states are trying to change the Civil Rights Era into a rated G story. I’m surprised there aren’t mass protests about the removal of books that had anything to do with Black success stories. The excuse that they can find the book elsewhere is not good enough. And of course it blows up to something else.

And the curriculum is going to be further and further apart if Republicans continue to rip out the pages they don’t like.

Did you learn in school about the Great Migration to the North after WW2? This story is excellent about how almost half of Black Southerners fled to the North by 1970.

We learned about Whites refusing to sell their homes to Black people, apartments not renting to minorities (Trump is an example). Inferior schools in the City neighborhoods where most Black people were forced to live.

My father was a child in the 1940’s and his family lived around the corner from where Malcolm X was living with his sister in Roxbury MA. Ask anyone what they think was the worst show of racism in the history of the North it would be Boston bussing . South Boston vs Roxbury. Segregated because they lived in different neighborhoods, both had shitty schools but the courts ordered bussing. The White hate came out at the White projects in Charlestown and South Boston.

Worth reading:
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/ ... 180960118/
You are so fake it is ridiculous. You better be glad old threads get deleted because I distinctly remember you whitewashing Malcolm X in one of our debated before. So if your family did live near Malcolm.....his beefs with Liberals makes a hell of a lot more sense because he was talking about people like you.

Don't mention his name because you think its gonna get you woke brownie points because obviously you learned nothing.

Also, Wells is right. You can't just talk about Civil Rights in Florida because you politically hate them when it was a problem that affected all states.
I didn’t say I had any respect for him. But you don’t want to hear anything about the North that doesn’t fit your agenda.
I do business with Black people in New York all the time. I don’t need to depend on you for the northern Black experience and thank god I do not.

I’d be embarrassed to admit my family lived near Malcolm X and you’re still that damn ignorant.

You don’t own the northern black experience either.
Quorra2.0
Regent
Regent

Unread post

SouthernIslander wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 12:40 pm
Quorra2.0 wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:56 pm
Lemons wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 2:28 pm

There was racism everywhere, still is. This country is known for its racism and gun violence. But the Civil Rights Movement was about changing state laws in the South and they won. Slo Flo and others who had racist violence in the North are just as tragic as those that took place in the South.

If it sounded like I trivialized SoFlo grandparents I’m sorry. it doesn’t take away from them.
That’s one of a few popular whitewashed versions of the Civil Rights Movement.

THIS is all why racism still exists in this country. It’s been so whitewashed and parts diminished that the Civil Rights Movement is edited to the South and the civil War was once taught in some schools as being over taxes, economy, and states rights. Sometimes I don’t think Malcolm wasn’t wrong about the conservative wolves and the liberal foxes.
Qu, may I ask you a question...

Who educated you on Black history or was it self-taught? People like you and Wells have a good grasp that I don't see often.
The credit goes to far too many to name. I am curious by nature and my parents never discouraged questions, even uncomfortable or difficult ones. They never pretended to know everything and always found people who could answer those questions better than they could. I agree with Wells, school definitely provided a foundation. And in college, I remember my writing course my first year, really emphasizing being mindful of us vs them language as well as context matters. I grew up with never fear truth, my truths aren’t the same as another person’s, and a person’s feelings are valid regardless of intent.

Teaching history without whitewashing it, teaching literature as a companion, asking empathy questions like how would you feel if… that’s all great on an academic level of learning. Those things are like small pieces of the puzzle. BUT you learn that knowing isn’t the same as understanding and if there’s any walls, you can’t gain any understanding. The difficult discussions people talk about, I’ve been having them all my life. These discussions aren’t debates. You, general, gain nothing from them if you are defensive. You can’t gain anything if you’re constantly thinking what about in ANY other context than what about this event you experienced. To be blunt, it can’t be about you it has to be about the speaker. Sharing personal experiences, that’s a gift, the very least one can do be respectful and listen with an open heart and open mind and never thinking you know so much that you can’t learn more.

I learned facts about the Tuskegee Airman in school, I learned about who one of the pilot’s was from his daughter. I learned about the Black Panthers in school. I learned about Fred Hampton from a friend whose mother lived in Cabrini Greens in the 60’s, was a member, and heard Hampton speak. I was curious about who Robert Smalls was as there was a street and school named after him where I lived. In researching, I met some wonderful ladies who shared how their families lives were changed because of him.
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

SouthernIslander wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 2:23 pm
Lemons wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 1:27 pm
SouthernIslander wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 12:34 pm

Thats a lie. You had to talk to someone to know what's being said behind my back and Mrs. Andre invited me to the group who conspired to get all the conservative member kicked out of the group and you were cc'd on an email I got from the leader who will remain nameless because at least she had the balls to have a conversation with me about this to my face.

LGA started that fight by wishing death on a child in DSam's home. The response was to get all the conservative ladies kicked out of the group and have a Karen style "I'm so scared of her" racist conversation about Couture for simply speaking to Carpy.

Actions speak louder than words and even though screen names have changed. Behavior tells everything. So this goes for anyone who was privy to that conversation and you because you fucked up by taking my apology as a sign of weakness and cocky that somebody finally put the "angry black woman" in her place.

Ya'll have no room to talk about BJ and playing this white Saviour complex because I have seen ya'll say the same shit about Black women behind closed doors.

So no, Bacon did not call me out because I really don't think she knows the history behind this and why I have been on white liberals since ya'll flipped on Couture like that. Again, I am not dropping names because there are members that I truly know took that to self-reflect and improve but I'm not gonna be nice to the people who hasn't. And I don't need to disobey group rules, dox or launch report wars to do it because that shit went too far no matter who did it.

If you were not a part of that conversation, I'm still talking to you because I can see the mentality has rubbed off on you and I'm letting you know now I want no parts of that or treating conservatives differently because ya'll don't like them. ITs none of your F***ing business.

What the f**k are you talking about you ? Who is Mrs. Andre, who is LGA? What email are you talking about. I was not part of some group to remove conservatives? Send me a message with my supposed email.
I said you were cc’d, not sent the email and if you weren’t in that group I’m still talking to you because you have that same mentality.

Learn from it and move on because you are guilty of the same behavior.
What was the email that was cc to? You think it’s ok to write this big long thing about some stupid F***ing group and I was in it or now I was c c? No. What’s the email?
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Carpy wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 2:01 pm
Lemons wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 1:28 pm
Carpy wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 1:21 pm

Wow. That's sound a bit crazy.
Because she’s F***ing nuts and I wasn’t in any group ever.
Frankly I find it hard to believe you don't know who either name she listed is. But in all honesty, it isn't your or my lived experience. Listen and learn. I posted what I did about my mom's best friend and the county seat in the county I grew up in due to the point of it being Northern and you claiming it wasn't as bad as the south.
And you constantly belittle the South. Southern is from the South so in essence you are insulting her as well. Thelma is Southern, so it insults her. I grew up in the North and I've listened to plenty of horrible stories of how Black people were treated. You try to paint the north as better, when it really wasn't, and you try to paint Southern people as if they all want to go back to slave days and just everyone below the Mason Dixon is just racist redneck hilljacks.

So again. Listen and learn instead of relying on history books written by white people.
WTF? No, I don’t know and I want the email that she claims was mine.

In all honesty it wasn’t any of our experience, it’s history. If Black people and White people can’t discuss it in a civil manner that’s a problem.

Look at the posts here. They are all about what’s going on in Florida, southern and Midwest states. If people are going to honestly get upset and personally someone said something mean about a state they live in, that’s a problem on them.

No one has to rely on history books. Plenty of books written by the Black people who lived it. Plenty of documentaries that witnessed what was happening at the time. I will guess no one has read these books here. I doubt anyone even read the article I linked from the Smithsonian about the North and South during the era. Instead you think we should all just take the opinion of one woman with no more expertise than any of us and it’s insulting if you don’t.

And I want that email. Why would I want conservatives out? So there’s no one to discuss issue with different view points? That’s ridiculous and not fun at all. The whole point is to discuss varying opinions no matter how different or extreme. Something Southern can’t grasp.
Locked Previous topicNext topic