House votes to raise minimum wage...

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

DSamuels wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:53 pm
CockatooCrazyColt529 wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:54 pm
DSamuels wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:26 pm

Some of the elderly, and others, are supplementing income they already receive.

When did minimum wage become a living wage? It’s always been considered a starting wage to work your way up from.
"(a)  The Congress finds that the existence, in industries engaged in commerce or in the production of goods for commerce, of labor conditions detrimental to the maintenance of the minimum standard of living necessary for health, efficiency, and general well-being of workers..."

https://codes.findlaw.com/us/title-29-l ... t-202.html
Okay, that is not every employer.

I guess I was brought up differently from a lot of others. I wasn’t brought up to do the minimum for minimum pay but to strive to do better.

Do people really think people will never get raises to lift their wages above minimum wage? How shitty of a worker are they?
Do you understand why it's not every employer at that time, and that it has expanded to cover around 85% of workers today?

You don't believe you have benefited from the FLSA?

How would you like to have needed a job at, say, Burger King back in your late teens, early 20's, and be told they'd pay you pennies and required you to work 60 - 80 hours per week?

Do you think overtime is a burden on employers?

Do you believe the majority of retail and fast food restaurants were employing adults or teens in the 40's, 50's and early 60's ?
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
DSamuels
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

CockatooCrazyColt529 wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:52 pm
CockatooCrazyColt529 wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:54 pm

"(a)  The Congress finds that the existence, in industries engaged in commerce or in the production of goods for commerce, of labor conditions detrimental to the maintenance of the minimum standard of living necessary for health, efficiency, and general well-being of workers..."

https://codes.findlaw.com/us/title-29-l ... t-202.html

I guess I was brought up differently from a lot of others. I wasn’t brought up to do the minimum for minimum pay but to strive to do better.

Do people really think people will never get raises to lift their wages above minimum wage? How shitty of a worker are they?
Do you understand why it's not every employer at that time, and that it has expanded to cover around 85% of workers today?

How would you like to have needed a job at, say, Burger King back in your late teens, early 20's, and be told they'd pay you pennies and required you to work 60 - 80 hours per week?

Do you believe the majority of retail and fast food restaurants were employing adults or teens in the 40's, 50's and early 60's ?
In my teens I made $2.10 an hour. I worked part time. Someone in school would not have been able to work 60-80 hours a week.

My husband from 19-30 worked in printing. It was a 12 hour shift with rotating shifts of nights and days. Day shift was 3 days each in 2 weeks (Th, F, S, S, M, Tu, W) with Th-Sunday off. Nights always went Monday through Sunday which was 96 hours in 8 days. Was nice on a paycheck, but when he started I believe he made $2.85 an hour.

For a couple years he got 8 hours straight time and 4 hours time and a half everyday. They ended up raising hourly pay and overtime was anything over 40 hours. That meant no overtime on day shift because it was 2 36 hour shifts, Sundays were double time but you didn’t work every Sunday.

Seriously, how many people are still making minimum wage after a year, or less, of working somewhere? Most places give a raise at least once a year if not more often.
Never explain - your friends do not need it and your enemies will not believe you anyway. - Elbert Hubbard

Keep up - Calm Down - Pay Attention
Deleted User 276

Unread post

DSamuels wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:04 am
CockatooCrazyColt529 wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:52 pm

In my teens I made $2.10 an hour. I worked part time. Someone in school would not have been able to work 60-80 hours a week.

My husband from 19-30 worked in printing. It was a 12 hour shift with rotating shifts of nights and days. Day shift was 3 days each in 2 weeks (Th, F, S, S, M, Tu, W) with Th-Sunday off. Nights always went Monday through Sunday which was 96 hours in 8 days. Was nice on a paycheck, but when he started I believe he made $2.85 an hour.

For a couple years he got 8 hours straight time and 4 hours time and a half everyday. They ended up raising hourly pay and overtime was anything over 40 hours. That meant no overtime on day shift because it was 2 36 hour shifts, Sundays were double time but you didn’t work every Sunday.

Seriously, how many people are still making minimum wage after a year, or less, of working somewhere? Most places give a raise at least once a year if not more often.
$2.85 and hour in 1979 is the equivalent of $10.00 an hour in 2019. The House Bill would incrementally increase minimum wage so those earning minimum wage would earn the equivalent of what your husband was making when he started out by 2021 and $15 an hour by 2025.

Most employers do give incremental raises to ensure employee retainment. But since minimum wage has not kept up with inflation or productivity, the starting point is too low. Employers will still give incremental raises because, again, retainment. But the starting point will now be a living wage. 29 states plus DC have already instituted minimum wage hikes. 7 states have approved $15 an hour minimum wages. Incrementally increasing federal minimum wage to $15 by 2025 will ensure that employees in all states are paid a living wage.

There has not been a raise in minimum wage for a decade. The decade you and your husband were first employed saw 7 minimum wage increases.
Locked Previous topicNext topic